Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 12:07 pm

Hi,

At the moment, I've thought about getting a Dell Vostro because you can get a very high spec for a quite low price. On the UK website, you can get a 15.4" laptop with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 3GB of RAM and an Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT graphics card, for only £450 (excluding VAT).

Does anybody own one of these, and what do you think of it? I'd also like to know if anyone would recommend me buying from the US site (when I have enough money) as it is cheaper and there are more customisation options. Also, would they ship an order from the US website to the UK?

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 11:30 pm

I have a Vostro 1400. It looks almost exactly like the one in the picture--the only external difference I see is that the row of silver buttons that controls the sound, etc. is at the top right of the keyboard, as opposed to in the front near the trackpad. It has a 2.0 Ghz processor and 2GB of RAM.

So far the computer is working fine, though I've only had it for a little over 3 months. The biggest problem is that mine only came with Vista, which I didn't want. There is some sort of glitch with Vista on this computer (I don't know if Vista has this problem on all machines) where often on waking the computer from sleeping, the screen resolution is set very low, and I have to go into Control Panel to change it back. I might put Linux on my computer, though I haven't yet.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 6:17 am

I have been considering getting a laptop for a while now - I'm looking to spend around £500+ but at the moment I have only £200. I want a laptop with a good processor and RAM, a great graphics card for the occasional game, music and video editing. The Dell Vostro has all of those.

I have a question though. Would you recommend that I get a Vostro 1500 (15.4") or a Vostro 1700 (17")?

By the way, I'd love to see some pictures of your laptop! :)