Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2008, 2:27 pm

I'm using Mac OSX, and because I despise Windows enough, but still would like to run some programs which have the unfortunate mishap of being on Windows rather than Mac for the pure and simple reason of Windows being more popular, I have used an emulator, Parallels on my Apple computer. It works fine, and I can run a few games like Myst and Riven, but I'm having trouble with getting DirectX to work. For some reason, it keeps saying that the Direct3D isn't working, and I'm not entirely sure how to configure it. I'm using an Intel GMA950. Does anybody have any clue what's going on?

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 3:26 pm

Parallels is not an emulator. It runs Windows in parallel, hence the name. It's virtualization, not emulation.

As for DirectX, it seems it won't work under Parallels. This appears to be because of some problem with the virtual drivers (or lack thereof). If you want DirectX, you'll need to dual boot for now.

And for future reference, check out this site. It'll tell you nearly everything you ever need to know.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 9:06 pm

If I remember correctly, Parallels will be able to run directX in a not so distant future, I read that AFAIR at their site :)

wintersun
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2008, 1:54 am

There is CrossOver Mac from Codeweavers. It's like wine on Linux, but it costs money. I haven't used it, but I think there are a few games that you can run with it. They have a compatibility list on their site of games that people have tried.
And I too have heard about Parallels working on better DirectX support, but I'm too sure about how well that is going to work. I personally use VMWare Fusion for what Windows apps I need.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2008, 5:09 am

supposedly, parallels was going to offer directx support at some point. I have no clue if they do right now or now. I guess it would be worth checking if you have the newest version, if it supports directx at all, and if there are any directions to get it working.

I only ever tried parallels 30-day trial so I don't know the exact things to do but probably your problem is because the proper drivers or parallels tools aren't installed in windows? I would check if there's drivers you need to get.