I am now 100% Microsoft free (Except for my OS)

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 5:38 pm

I am now 100% Microsoft free (except for my OS which is Windows XP). Wow, what a relief! For the past few years I have pretty much only been using open source software that gets updated often. The only Microsoft software I was using was Notepad, Windows Picture & Fax Viewer and MSN Messenger. I finally use alternative software in place of Microsoft's lame software. I did a hunt a couple weeks ago for better alternative software to Microsoft's versions and I think I've found the best possible apps. Instead of Notepad I now use Notepad++ which is really cool and much more superior to Microsoft's crappy version of it. In place of Windows Picture & Fax Viewer I now use Irfanview which is superior, but I hate the fact that they have an option to install adware on your computer while installing the app (I HATE anything that installs adware on your computer, even if there is a choice to not install it). Finally, in place of MSN Messenger I now use Pidgin, which I HATED at first but I'm finally beginning to become fond of it. The main thing I hate about most Microsoft software is that it doesn't get updated regularly, and it always seems like Microsoft had idiots in mind when developing their software. (It's overly user-friendly and doesn't let you customize things the way you'd want them to be)

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 5:49 pm

pat666rick wrote:
and it always seems like Microsoft had idiots in mind when developing their software. (It's overly user-friendly and doesn't let you customize things the way you'd want them to be)

As XBOX 360 & XBOX LIVE lover I'll play the Microsoft defender: they just make things for the average user -> more $ . How can something be OVERLY user friendly ? :roll:

OverlyIntense
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2008, 2:25 am

I like to customize everything as well, and I can't stand it when I know a program should be able to do something I want it to but the programmer didn't create an advanced option to do it.

I've been using open source as often as possible since I started toying with switching to Linux. My first install was 10 years ago. :roll: I've played with the Release Candidates of Kubuntu 8.04, and if the final release is stable then it will be the first time Linux release that can handle all of my desktop needs without what I feel like is to much hassle. I've read that the KDE desktop environment is better for those of us who like to customize, as supposedly Gnome is targeting those who simply want ease of use.

A longer term goal of mine is to switch to the XFCE desktop environment, and eventually to a simple windows manager. The desktop environments are annoying to me for some reason. :?

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2008, 2:37 am

Running a Debian-based linux distro ATM. Whenever I set up an XP computer for someone I'll usually install openoffice.org &/or Pidgin for IM protocols, etc...

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:15 pm

You didn't mention eliminating IE in favor of firefox...

On the other hand, I usually run MS office because of file format issues, as well as AIM because damn near everyone I know in real life uses it, so it's easier compatibility-wise, as well as gmail's online mail client (very clean, beats everything that both outlok and thunderbird have to offer)

PS: since 99% of the importance of software lies in the os (since without an os of some sort you can't run applications), technically you are only 1% microsoft-free (sorry to burst your bubble there...)

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:16 pm

You are not completely Microsoft Free!! !! Get Linux and than i`ll start talking!! ! Though than again Microsoft does make a nice Operating System. Bill Gates Forever!! !!

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 12:00 am

gamefreak wrote:
You are not completely Microsoft Free!! !! Get Linux and than i`ll start talking!! ! Though than again Microsoft does make a nice Operating System. Bill Gates Forever!! !!

The only reason why I run Windows is because most of the software that I use is Windows only. I will not switch to Linux until more superior software can run on it. The incompatibility of Linux gives me way too many headaches.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2008, 1:16 am

pat666rick wrote:
gamefreak wrote:

The only reason why I run Windows is because most of the software that I use is Windows only. I will not switch to Linux until more superior software can run on it. The incompatibility of Linux gives me way too many headaches.

Like what? Maybe we can find Linux alternatives.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 1:38 am

Jonny wrote:
pat666rick wrote:
gamefreak wrote:

Like what? Maybe we can find Linux alternatives.

I have found alternatives for Linux, but only inferior ones. There is a program called Wine that allows you to run Windows software in Linux but there are often glitches.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 9:30 am

That is what has kept me on windows as well (in addition, my college offers free XP licenses, so cost isn't an issue). I keep an older machine around to run linux on, though...

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2008, 9:33 am

My RiG has a sh***y wifi card w/ (last time I checked) no developed linux driver, so I usually have it running an NT-based OS like Win2K or XP. Also if a game doesn't run under Wine (for example MapleStory) I'll use XP as well.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:43 am

What's wrong with using Microsoft software? If it works use it. I currently have no Microsoft software at the moment but I'm on a mac. :P

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:50 am

z0rp wrote:
What's wrong with using Microsoft software? If it works use it. I currently have no Microsoft software at the moment but I'm on a mac. :P

Good Point, If it works use it. Linux is great but the only reason people use it is to not use Proprietory OS`s like OSX and Windows and support the corporations. If it comes with your computer use it. Besides If more people quit using Windows and Macs our Economy in the US and British Isles will get even worse.

Bill Gates Forever!! !! !

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2008, 1:24 pm

I would take Windows over Linux anyday for a desktop OS. WinXP SP2 is solid for me.

Although I am also really enjoying using my Mac.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 2:55 am

Way to go, pat666rick!! (now go Linux ;) )

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 2:56 am

Jonny wrote:
I would take Windows over Linux anyday for a desktop OS. WinXP SP2 is solid for me.

Although I am also really enjoying using my Mac.

I can not understand that, the Windows GUI is so clumsy and ugly... :roll:

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!