Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2008, 3:16 pm

I'm taking a C++ class and I need a good free IDE, what are your recommendations?

POWA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2008, 3:38 pm

I have been learning C++ for 2 years, but not in shcool since I'm only 15 years old.
firstley I tried Dev-C++ but it had to many bugs, and no one is developing that IDE anymore. So I switched to Code::Blocks instead, it took more time to compile the code, but I didn't have any problem using it.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 4:08 pm

go by Sourceforge, Downloads.com, Nonags., etc. Great free software (open source)

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2008, 4:30 pm

If Linux is an option I would use KDevelop. It's free and has nice features.

For Windows I think Microsoft is still offering it's Visual Studio Express Edition for free. That would be C++ among others.
(I'm not a big fan of it but that's a matter of taste anyway and as a beginner the details won't matter that much to you)

Apples Xcode is free for members of the Apple Developer Connection. (Since there is a free membership option... happy coding)

A cross platform alternative would be NetBeans. Another multi language option.

Then there would be Eclipse, one more crossplatform, multilanguage IDE. You love it or you hate it (ok, I hate it, but have a look..)

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2008, 5:11 pm

You could try Visual C++ Express from Microsoft...

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2008, 7:26 pm

pakled wrote:
go by Sourceforge, Downloads.com, Nonags., etc. Great free software (open source)
Yeah, I've already looked and found a number of IDE's, I just don't know how good they are.
PilotPirx wrote:
If Linux is an option
Yes Linux is an option. It might even be preferable, since I can run it virtualized easily. I like to keep most of my software separated if at all possible. I tried running Visual C++ Express in a sandbox, but when I tried running a debugger on a hello world program I got a BSOD. It probably needs something the sandbox is blocking access to (I'm not sure what, because I ran C# Express sandboxed without problems.), so virtualization seems the way to go since I want to keep it separated.

So I guess what I'd like is a Linux IDE I can run virtualized that has capabilities similar to Visual C++ Express. I finally used NetBeans on Linux with the C/C++ module for my first homework assignment, but wondered if there was anything better. NetBeans is a pretty good IDE. For Java.

You mentioned KDevelop. I hadn't heard of that one. Is it better than NetBeans?

One of you also mentioned Code::Blocks. I saw that one but I couldn't find it in my repositories even though there is supposed to be a version for Ubuntu and I didn't want to risk installing something I couldn't remove with the package manager if it wasn't any good.

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2008, 5:48 am

I like KDevelop. If you use KDE you should give it a try.
Has everything you need, like syntax highlighting, project management, project templates for lots of everyday apps.
Integrates perfectly with KDE and the Qt library.

KenithSobel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2008, 4:44 pm

I would say try borland C++ 30 day trial if you like it i can most likely get you a "legal key" retail its about $1500.00

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 1:57 pm

In the past, I've used Visual C++ 6.0. These days that's old. Eclipse has a plug-in for C/C++ development, I think.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 6:25 am

Emacs 8)