Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 9:13 pm

So I was looking for a good antispyware with on-access protection. Spybot hasn't been at its best in ages and Ad-Aware and Windows Defender will peak your CPU usage at 100% at all times. So I picked up a copy of this and I have to say its good. It has the biggest malware and spyware blacklist on the market and works well with the antivirus I already have.[Symantec] It also is very light on resources and cost $20 for a lifetime subscription. Best money I ever spent.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 10:40 pm

I prefer free, and will stay with spybot, I am usually very careful where I go on the internet, what sort of issues were you having with spybot?

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 4:48 am

spudnik wrote:
I prefer free, and will stay with spybot, I am usually very careful where I go on the internet, what sort of issues were you having with spybot?

It was constantly crashes my computer and eating up insane amounts of memory.

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2008, 7:01 am

Just don't run as f*****g administrator and never click dancing bunnies. Problem solved.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:31 am

Be careful I downloaded a program that sounds very like the one you're talking about and it was full of malware. If it was not the same program, the name was very similar so make sure you get the correct one

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 8:19 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Be careful I downloaded a program that sounds very like the one you're talking about and it was full of malware. If it was not the same program, the name was very similar so make sure you get the correct one

It was off download.com.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 8:24 pm

gamefreak wrote:
spudnik wrote:

Do you have tea timer running, I heard that can cause some issues, most of the time I don't keep spybot running, I only run it once a week.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:33 am

spudnik wrote:
gamefreak wrote:
spudnik wrote:

Do you have tea timer running, I heard that can cause some issues, most of the time I don't keep spybot running, I only run it once a week.

TeaTimer was not very good, early on. I accidentally DIDN'T turn it off on a recent SpyBot install, and it seemed fine. Other than TeaTimer, I've never had any trouble with SpyBot and I've installed and run it on a rather large variety of machines.

However... SpyBot suffered greatly (at least early on) from malware infected clones of itself. I'm always very careful where I download it from. (e.g. www.safer-networking.de)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:49 pm

I've used the SuperAntiSpyware program a couple of years ago on XP. If found and fixed a virus that AdAware could not find nor SpyBot.

I've given up on SpyBot Search and Destroy on Vista. It has crashed and burned twice now while doing an update, leaving its files corrupt. So Asta-la-vista. I think the problem is maybe with Vista because unless I'm there when an update finishes and can respond to a request for Admin privileges or other "Can I do blah blah blah" request from Vista then something seems to time out and it leaves the update incomplete and the software damaged.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:59 pm

I have used SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition, I would recommend it for people who prefer free antispyware programs, as there is nothing to lose when trying it, the only limitation with the free version is that it lacks of shield protection, but it scans and cleans.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 6:04 pm

I now use linux for all my internet. No More Malware :lol: Or am I being a bit naive :?:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 5:00 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
I now use linux for all my internet. No More Malware :lol: Or am I being a bit naive :?:

Unless someone makes a virus just for Linux users your fairly safe. However that is extremely unlikely, such a virus would spread at a snails pace and only affect 2% of systems.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 8:43 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Unless someone makes a virus just for Linux users your fairly safe. However that is extremely unlikely, such a virus would spread at a snails pace and only affect 2% of systems.

How SO :?:

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 8:59 pm

There are linux viruses, but they only propagate from one linux machine to another. They wont run on windows nor OSX. Thats like two beavers meeting in the desert.

Since they spread so slowly, the distro maintainers have a fairly easy time getting patches out to stop them.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2008, 2:57 am

If you people over here are interested in an free very aggressive anti-malware program I personally would advice you people to test the Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware software.

Have been working good for me and has been able to find bad stuff a while ago which none of my other anti-spyware programs was able to find.

Has never ever crashed my system either. It seems that the people behind that software have learned the mastering of programming..

I hate programs that crashes my computer. Totally unaccaptable.

Oh, and to answer the topic: I haven't tried that one but I have tried many, many other programs.