Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 5:49 pm

I have two laptops. One is dead (motherboard cracked and HD wont boot either) but has a legitimate XP Professional OEM serial number sticker. The other I got second hand, also XP Pro this has updated windows happily for the last year but now I get the WGA nag.

Can I simply change the working lappys serial for the dead one

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 6:14 pm

Yes, you have proof of a good license. If it does not work, call ms tech support.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 6:27 pm

Technically, the sticker means that it's an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version of XP, and in theory you're not supposed to be allowed to swap machines. Lots of people do it though.

You should first give the new laptop the product key of the old one;

See these instructions;

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/ht/changexpkey.htm

Then try to activate it and it should be ok. If you have problems then you'll need to talk to MS but if you're reasonably honest... Don't say that it's a different machine but tell them that it's been repaired and upgraded after a few problems (don't sound technical).

They'll know that a repair could include a motherboard replacement and that sometimes you get a new hard drive as part of the repair (that's the upgrade bit). They'll reset the ID and it should all work out ok.

Good Luck.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 1:29 am

I hate product keys. I normally avoid using stuff that has them.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 1:55 am

Orwell wrote:
I hate product keys. I normally avoid using stuff that has them.

big brother is "activating" you?

Of course, once MS decide that a product is "retired" - what happens then if you need to reinstall?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 2:03 am

gbollard wrote:
Of course, once MS decide that a product is "retired" - what happens then if you need to reinstall?

What happens when you need to reinstall and it decides your product key has been used too many times?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 4:02 am

gbollard thanks for the help, the new key did not work so I decided a tactical retreat is probably the easiest and attacked the WGA instead, removed that and turned off auto updates, I am on SP3 so there wont be much that I will miss out on.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 4:03 am

gbollard thanks for the help, the new key did not work so I decided a tactical retreat is probably the easiest and attacked the WGA instead, removed that and turned off auto updates, I am on SP3 so there wont be much that I will miss out on.

If it was not for 'she who must be obeyed' I would not have windows on the comp :wink:

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 5:01 am

I love the whole "enter CD-Key, and have 30 days before all access is denied" (to a novice) and on similar stuff, a key is needed to activate/unlock the software to full functionality and no interrupts. I hate it, it's annoying.