Need hep with windows xp sp1 registry errors fast!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Mar 2009, 10:26 pm

I was clearing a bunch of crap off my step dads computer, over 70 programs, and one of those was an expired Mcafe installation. Every 1-2 minutes when I use the computer I get a dialog box telling me the computer needs to be restarted or I need to reinstall Mcafe. I used a program called REVO uninstaller to remove the programs, and removed the registry files from each program. I have tried a separate registry cleaner with no luck. My step dad would prefer to not reinstall windows because we have a lot of files on it. Formatting is a worst case scenario. I was trying to get the computer updated to sp3and usable by the end of today.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 10:29 pm

nodice1996 wrote:
My step dad would prefer to not reinstall windows because we have a lot of files on it.

So back the files up. A fresh install is cleaner and makes everything behave nicer- there's none of the random clutter and accumulated garbage that the OS gathers over time.

Buddha_Beast
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2009, 12:54 am

I second what Orwell said. Nothing beats a fresh install, but if you just want to stop the McAfee bi-hourly beg-athon you can use their MCPR program. It gets rid of almost everything McAfee related in the registry.
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Obligatory disclaimer:
Warning! Don’t ever change a value in the registry. Ever. I know I just told you to do that, but would you jump off a cliff if I told you to? Don’t ever change a value in the registry. Don’t even say the word registry. I know a guy once who said the word registry, and three days later he was hit by a bus. True story. As a matter of fact, you shouldn’t even have a registry on your computer. If you suspect that you do have a registry on your computer, please contact the CDC and a trained professional will be dispatched to your office to remove the registry immediately. If you accidentally touch the registry, wash your hands with soap and water and call a doctor. Do not swallow the registry or get it in your eyes!

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 2:21 am

I'll third the fresh install. What I do with windows is keep a copy of a fresh install. Since I also run other operating systems(fanboy alert!), I can boot into that and renew windows from a copy.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Mar 2009, 6:43 am

Thanks, Ill try the mcaffe remover, if I have to ill reinstall, the problem is it's not my computer, and I dont have an external hd for the 30gb of music on it. Another problem is there were no system restore points, if anyone was going to suggest that.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 7:22 am

nodice1996 wrote:
Thanks, Ill try the mcaffe remover, if I have to ill reinstall, the problem is it's not my computer, and I dont have an external hd for the 30gb of music on it. Another problem is there were no system restore points, if anyone was going to suggest that.

System restore is a load of crap when it comes to buggy system files... M$ doesn't keep old versions lying about.

You can try something I learned from my old boss... we called it a repair install. Anyway... put in a GENERIC windows disk, not your recovery disk. Load from it, yadda yadda. You'll see the option to repair windows, skip that, tell it you want to install. When you see your HD info listed, IF YOU'RE LUCKY, there will be ANOTHER option to repair in the lower left of the screen.

It doesn't work with all disks or all versions, but it doesn't hurt to try, since nothing happens to your computer at that point. If you do see it however, let it run, and it will leave all your files intact and repair all system files. All your programmes will still work too.

Just something to try since you don't have an external. It's no where near as good as a fresh install, but it's better than playing in the registry. We've used it after removing stuff like AV360, and it seems to delete registry keys no longer being used, so it may fix your mcaffee problem.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 11:12 pm

Has anyone told this poor lad to go to Windows Update 5 or 6 times and get all the updates Updates and Get Service Pack 3!! This machine hasn't been updated since early 2003 if it still has SP1!!

The patch from Microsoft for the Conficker worm and downloading the Symantec Conficker removal tool will also help!! You may have this!! You never know!! !

Then Installing and running Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and getting rid of all those registry issues!! A good round with CCleaner will also help!! ! As well as Installing and using Mozilla Firefox!! !

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cle ... leaner.htm
http://www.ccleaner.com
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 11:16 pm

May I say that CCleaner has a Easy Program removal tool if you want to know!! ! I can also say get a 4-8GB Flas Drive in back up all the data on the HD [Mainly My Document & The Desktop.] Then reformat the sucker!! !

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 6:40 pm

well, don't mess with the Registry unless you know what you're doing...sometimes not even then...;)

That being said, either regedit or regedt32 (sp?) work from the 'run' command.

Further instructions to follow (by people correcting me...listen to them...;)

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 2:10 am

I presume that anyone that has not updated from SP1 has a non genuine version. Heres a thought could such a person download the latest version with sp3 from a MS friendly site such as Pirate Bay. Put this CD into the SP1 machine and do a Windows repair. Would this update the version to SP3 whilst leaving the file system, programs and data intact?

I have been thinking of doing this on a friends machine just not sure of the results?

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx