What is the most disturbing/shocking movie you've ever seen?

Page 5 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Ralou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2009, 12:02 am

One of the Faces of Death films. I didn't think it would bother me, but I started crying and walked out a few minutes into it.

Oh, and Casualties of War. Saw that when I was about 17, was comforting myself the whole time that it was just a movie (while wondering why anyone would make something so sick) then felt cold all through when the credits said the film was based on actual events.

People are some messed up, scary scary critters.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 2:57 am

I considered joking and saying "Trekkies" but I'll give a real answer.

I'm pretty sure I've seen none of the films listed so far, and I am oh so glad. It would be interesting to compare what haunted us as children to what haunts us now... As a kid, I was troubled by images from Watership Down, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, a movie I saw about the ghost of a little girl who fell down a well... I believe it was called Child of Glass. But my family wasn't really strict about what us smaller kids saw while the older kids chose the shows, so we saw Embryo and Wolfen and other freakshows that actually didn't really sink in as much. Too complex for me then, I guess.

Rosemary's Baby is a disturbing one, especially since I saw it soon after a miscarriage I had some 15 years ago. But what troubles me still more are scenes of violent rape (there are few that aren't violent, mind you, I'm sure). The ones I think of are actually from movies I haven't watched through and am not going to watch, ever. But I saw the rape scene clip, possibly edited for TV, from An Eye for an Eye (w/ Kiefer Sutherland) and sobbed at the end of it. It was a truly shocking sequence, watching the woman stuck in traffic running screaming from car to car looking for a second phone to call 911 as she hears her teenage daughter being raped and murdered on her cell phone. Why do people choose to make films of these things? The other is Two Women, and old Sophia Loren movie. I think this film has more going for it, from what I've seen, but there is a gang rape scene at the end that is as harsh as you could get at the time, and really, I don't know that they could have gotten much more graphic anyway. You knew what the soldiers were going to do and you hated them for it, you knew they had begun it, and after the fade when the woman and her daughter lay still in bombed out church, left there to cope with what had happened, you knew it had been done... And you shake knowing it. My mind cannot get around the idea of rape, how anyone could justify it in their own minds enough to commit it, and it plagues me when I come across it in film. I pray I never meet with it firsthand.

So to me, it doesn't get much more disturbing, except... wait, I have seen The Others. That's got a pretty shocking finish.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2009, 11:39 am

For me, it was Pan's Labyrinth. The one thing that truly disturbs me in films is very graphic violence, and this film certainly didn't hold back on that. The fact that the violence was shown in a very straightforward, almost documentary-like way and the camera never cut away from it only made it worse for me. (It's still one of my favourite films, though, since I at least know when to look away now!)

The Plague Dogs was also very hard for me to watch, although I guess that's to be expected given the subject matter of that film...

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 4:01 am

I have watched horror, splatter and the like since I was fairly young, but I have never once been truly disturbed. I enjoy these movies immensely but they never really scare me. The scenes some people seem to find shocking usually make me grin or laugh.
I wish I could see a movie that terrified me. If Hostel, Them, Texas chain saw massacre, Dawn of the dead amd their like won't do it, what will? Sigh...

When I was 8 I watched a children’s series I think was called “The magic(al) box”. In one of the episodes a box was opened and several images poured out, including a photo of a sheltie. In retrospect I have no idea why, but in that specific setting I found the image eerie. The start only lasted a couple of seconds.

At age 12-13 I saw 3 movies that I found a little eerie while I watched them:
The Fog: The scene where there’s a knock on the door and the guy (don’t remember his name) gets up to open the door. Outside there is only fog and some it seeps into the house. He closes the door and as he does, we see the ghost of “captain Hook” standing behind said door ready to strike.

“Flatliners”: The eerie landscape and the strange boy they met when flatlining were a bit eerie.

“Invasion of the body snatchers” (1978): the very thought of someone being themselves yet not quite themselves, was eerie. As were the scenes where the Chinese man stated “Wife is better now, much better now” and the ending where Matthew points at her and screeches.

Later I’ve seen “Close encounters” and the scene where the mother shuts the chimney and the aliens unscrew the vent is a little eerie, as was the old guy who says that the sun came down last night and it sang to him.

The twist ending in “The others” and “The sixth sense” was chillingly good, and also the ghosts appearing when the boy fled and hid in his tent.

But these were just right there and then chills. Only at one point has a movie /series given me nightmares. At age 12 I watched either “The winds of war” or “War and remembrance”. In one scene a concentration camp is liberated. Pictures were shown of body piles and skeleton alike people (real) and a woman sitting under a train with glassy eyes. That image scared me. The following night I had a nightmare about those creepy eyes. It woke me up.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 11:57 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I have watched horror, splatter and the like since I was fairly young, but I have never once been truly disturbed. I enjoy these movies immensely but they never really scare me. The scenes some people seem to find shocking usually make me grin or laugh.
I wish I could see a movie that terrified me. If Hostel, Them, Texas chain saw massacre, Dawn of the dead amd their like won't do it, what will? Sigh...

When I was 8 I watched a children’s series I think was called “The magic(al) box”. In one of the episodes a box was opened and several images poured out, including a photo of a sheltie. In retrospect I have no idea why, but in that specific setting I found the image eerie. The start only lasted a couple of seconds.

The Fog: The scene where there’s a knock on the door and the guy (don’t remember his name) gets up to open the door. Outside there is only fog and some it seeps into the house. He closes the door and as he does, we see the ghost of “captain Hook” standing behind said door ready to strike.

“Flatliners”: The eerie landscape and the strange boy they met when flatlining were a bit eerie.

“Invasion of the body snatchers” (1978): the very thought of someone being themselves yet not quite themselves, was eerie. As were the scenes where the Chinese man stated “Wife is better now, much better now” and the ending where Matthew points at her and screeches.

Later I’ve seen “Close encounters” and the scene where the mother shuts the chimney and the aliens unscrew the vent is a little eerie, as was the old guy who says that the sun came down last night and it sang to him.

The twist ending in “The others” and “The sixth sense” was chillingly good, and also the ghosts appearing when the boy fled and hid in his tent.

But these were just right there and then chills. Only at one point has a movie /series given me nightmares. At age 12 I watched either “The winds of war” or “War and remembrance”. In one scene a concentration camp is liberated. Pictures were shown of body piles and skeleton alike people (real) and a woman sitting under a train with glassy eyes. That image scared me. The following night I had a nightmare about those creepy eyes. It woke me up.

I find that interesting, actually. In all the creepy stuff you've seen, all the deeply wrong concepts that would haunt me for the rest of my danged life (my brain's fault... for some reason my mind will not settle down on an idea until it's explored it thoroughly, hence anything gruesome I introduce becomes prolonged torture) none of the fictional stuff has troubled you... only the real horror. If that is how your mind works, I envy you. As it is, I don't watch horror movies OR the news... the fictional horror for the reasons stated and the news because that's where the real horror is.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Toolite
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Sep 2009, 12:42 pm

After half a century of cinema-watching, movies that probably would have put me into a catatonic state when I was a child have little effect on me these days, and I've seen some really sick s**t. Recently, however, I saw a movie that, for reasons I don't really comprehend, affected me strongly and viscerally. It is a horror film called The Midnight Meat Train. I'm not sure if it was the cinematography or what but I'm still replaying scenes in my mind months after viewing the movie and hope to see it again to figure out just why this particular flick yet haunts my dreams. Anyone else seen the movie?

SonofStorms
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2009, 12:45 pm

i can usually sit through anything (except beverly hills ninja...;) )....but for twisted i have to go with movies that show violence towards cats (violence towards people i can deal with...how sad...)...so that would be...sleepwalkers, hide and seek, and the grudge....as for violence towards people i have to say strangeland, cabin fever(the shaving scene...), and hostel take the top (haven't seen hostel 2 not sure i want to..)

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

04 Sep 2009, 12:52 pm

I consider myself hardened against most cinema, but Schindler's List really got to me. I couldn't watch it so I just turned it off.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 11:10 pm

The Killing Fields. It's about the genocide in cambodia(my favorite country)

kaworuchan42
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2009, 4:25 pm

Douglas Buck's Family Portraits - A Trilogy of America is probably the most disturbing film I have ever seen.

The most disgusting film I have ever seen easily is Slaughtered Vomit Dolls. The title explains it all with that one.

luvmycutebaby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2009, 9:51 pm

Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List, and one with Robin Williams where he was a photographer. I was so mad at my husband for getting that last one, I think I blocked it out though because I can't remember anything about it now aside from what I said about it in the previous sentence.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 2:37 pm

irishwhistle wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

I find that interesting, actually. In all the creepy stuff you've seen, all the deeply wrong concepts that would haunt me for the rest of my danged life (my brain's fault... for some reason my mind will not settle down on an idea until it's explored it thoroughly, hence anything gruesome I introduce becomes prolonged torture) none of the fictional stuff has troubled you... only the real horror. If that is how your mind works, I envy you. As it is, I don't watch horror movies OR the news... the fictional horror for the reasons stated and the news because that's where the real horror is.

Hmm... I’ve never really thought about it, but I guess so. My nightmares seem to be mostly rooted in reality. Diseases, landmines, war, nuclear bombs, burglary, harrassment, Holocaust, fire, terrorism, accidents and things like that.
I can understand that you might think me lucky to not fear fictional horror, but since I love this genre I really wish it could scare me. It’d be a nice change.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 7:49 pm

I thought -Phantasm- was disgusting.

ruveyn

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 7:29 pm

A lot of people think A Clockwork Orange is pretty disturbing, but it's one of my favorite movies if not my favorite. I like most Stanley Kubrick movies though. I thought Eraserhead was kind of disturbing...maybe more weird than disturbing, but I don't really want to watch it again.

Another movie I like is Shortbus, which isn't disturbing but I might call it shocking. It's probably rated something like NC-17...this link is censored but still not work appropriate or anything.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8A1dwEhSMY[/youtube]

EggDownUnder

Location: Melbourne, Australia, Earth, Sol Solarsystem, Milky Way, Universe

10 Sep 2009, 6:26 am

I think someone mentioned it before, but the scene in One Hour Photo where Robin William's eyes pour blood - that got me 8O

And a more of a left-field choice for this topic. The Boy In Striped Pyjamas. It deals with WWII and the holocaust, but does it pretty lightly for most of the film. the ending, however, just crushed me :( . Was still feeling it an hour after I left the cinema.

my mood monkey swings like it's the 60s

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 11:56 pm

Brandon_M wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:
The most disturbing film I saw, I am not going to even write it because someone might decide to get it out and I would never contribute to the dvd revenue for it, I hope it ends up disintegrating from noone watching it.

Wow, that bad huh?

Yep. Took me days to get over it and I still feel sick when I think of it. I dont do horror movies these days as I tend to get to effected by them if they are realistic.

Taking a break.