I can't concentrate during movies anymore

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

thedaveman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2014, 10:10 pm

I went to go see The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies. It's a big, grand, epic-scale movie full of emotional depth and awesome battle sequences...yet...I couldn't focus on it. It might've been the 48fps or the 4K resolution, but my own mind just wouldn't let me focus on the plot. It was terrible. I missed out on so much enjoyment!

I don't know what my brain's doing--I stare at the screen for five seconds, and then my mind instantly starts thinking of my social life, new story ideas, or just random ideas. I found myself constantly adjusting my seat, going to the bathroom, refilling my water...I don't even know why.

I love movies. I want to be a director (as far-fetched of a fantasy that seems). I love storytelling. But I just can't....arrgghhh!! ! It drives me out of my skull! Please--if anyone has any solutions or ideas on how to increase my attention span, that would literally save my life.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 3:24 pm

If you live in the U.S., take some Benydril, before you go, next time----it calms "the fidgets". If you live in another country, any anti-histamine, should do.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 3:36 pm

This usually happens to me when I find my own thoughts more interesting than what I'm watching or reading.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 5:27 am

How about going to a movie that actually has character and story telling, rather than a padded out story with dazzling cgi effects and no substance to it.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 12:20 am

I have this problem too...which is why I haven't gone to the movies in a while. If I'm watching a movie or TV show at home, I'm always doing something else...like surfing the Internet (which is what I'm doing now).

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:59 am

I haven't watched any of the hobbit movies but I hear they incorporate a lot of content from The Silmarillion, which is essentially a compilation of various stories, so by it's very nature it's going to be pretty confusing with all the exotic names and characters you have to remember. People seem to consider those movies are more for hardcore Tolkien fans rather than the average joe, so non-enthusiasts are probably easily distracted.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 11:55 am

The Battle Of Five Armies had it's share of problems. I was less, much less, than enthusiastic with what they did to the character of Tauriel.

But yeah, I know what you mean. I think about ideas, people, etc. quite a bit. You sort of get used to it. Either you can try to get your mind back on track as soon as you can or decide to engage in something else until you really want to see another movie.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm

Having worked with several filmmakers in the 1980s, I learned then that Hollywood was shifting from "telling stories" to "entertaining audiences." They appear to have continued this craven reach for cash. I thought the third episode of The Hobbit was its best, but I admit that much of it was entertainment, not Tolkien storyline.

But, yeah, I like Campin_Cat's suggestion of Benadryl. Also, try to sit 2/3 back from the screen; that is usually the "sweet spot" where the screen-size, focus and sound are all balanced for optimum enjoyment.

Still, all the best plans don't matter if the story is nonexistent.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)