Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jason Thayer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2024, 6:23 pm

I would say it's fine. It took me a loong time to work up the nerve to see R-Rated movies, and I still prefer PG-13.

angelsonthemoon
Raven
Raven

12 May 2024, 5:45 pm

I do like some TV-MA. However, at least a lot of modern TV-MA, is overrated to me. Swearing alone doesn't make characters cool. Usually, a lot of swearing comes off as try hard. I can appreciate gore. But gore alone won't make a story interesting.

I prefer Goosebumps and Middle Grade horror in general to most recent adult horror stories. Middle Grade tends to be creative since it can't rely on gore and stuff.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 4:51 pm

angelsonthemoon wrote:
I do like some TV-MA. However, at least a lot of modern TV-MA, is overrated to me. Swearing alone doesn't make characters cool. Usually, a lot of swearing comes off as try hard. I can appreciate gore. But gore alone won't make a story interesting.

I prefer Goosebumps and Middle Grade horror in general to most recent adult horror stories. Middle Grade tends to be creative since it can't rely on gore and stuff.

I don't like strong swearing in general. I mean, yeah, I'm fine with mild profanities like "damn", "hell", "crap", and sometimes "b@st@rd", but I really distain the S and F words. Like you said, it doesn't make characters cool and is overrated, yet this is being put into too much media meant for "mature audiences", when they actually come off as pandering and shallow.

....Which it makes me hate them even MORE, among OTHER things! :x

angelsonthemoon
Raven
Raven

13 May 2024, 6:52 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
angelsonthemoon wrote:

I don't like strong swearing in general. I mean, yeah, I'm fine with mild profanities like "damn", "hell", "crap", and sometimes "b@st@rd", but I really distain the S and F words. Like you said, it doesn't make characters cool and is overrated, yet this is being put into too much media meant for "mature audiences", when they actually come off as pandering and shallow.

....Which it makes me hate them even MORE, among OTHER things! :x
Yep, pandering and shallow is a good way to put it. Also, sometimes swearing is used instead of putting effort into dialogue. As if swearing makes them sound intelligent or creative. There are times when swearing can be funny to me, but it's definitely a less is more thing, IMO.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 7:11 pm

^ There's also times where it's perfectly in character. Not every character requires thoughtful dialogue, sometimes characters are belligerent idiots.