The Internet's Polarized Opinions on Superhero Movies

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What is your opinion on superhero movies?
Prefer "traditional" legacy heroes and morality. 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
Prefer currently trendy "morally gray" "deconstruction" of legacy heroes and comic book morality. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other opinion. 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 11

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 6:29 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Honey69 wrote:
Adam West was the only real Batman.

The only Batman that ever batmattered.
Hear!  Hear!

And George Reeves was the only REAL Superman!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 7:27 am

Also, Yvonne Craig as Batgirl catapulted me into puberty. POW!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 12:10 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I enjoyed the first two Captain America movies. Not so much the third.

Same here - I've never been a fan of the "Let's make our heroes fight each other like a bunch of idiots!" trope.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2023, 11:16 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
I enjoyed the first two Captain America movies. Not so much the third.

Same here - I've never been a fan of the "Let's make our heroes fight each other like a bunch of idiots!" trope.

"Civil War" is where some of my current issues with the MCU started. I don't mind that the heroes fight each other, because that can be fun/interesting, but the way they get there is really stupid. Like, on paper, the idea of fighting over whether or not superheroes need oversight has potential. The problem is that the Avengers, while "flawed," are still too good for this to work. This isn't "Watchmen." Instead we've got a roomful of people who have personally saved the world, all of them are well-intentioned, none of them are power hungry and none of them are greedy. (We later find out in "Falcon and the Winter Soldier" that they aren't even paid and subsist on "goodwill." :D) In past movies, they were the good guys because they were presented as the alternative to more realistic military methods, like nuking a populated area. Now suddenly the superheroes are supposed to be this serious allegory for those very methods. The events are set in motion because Wanda has a whoopsie and accidentally drops a bomb that kills a bunch of altruistic aid workers off-camera. Then the filmmakers decide that we need to retroactively feel guilty for enjoying action scenes in earlier movies because a bunch of other non-character fictional people died off-camera and they forgot to tell us about it. Finally, we get to the airport fight that's the main selling point of the movie, and that's fun, but it ends with Rhodey getting injured (not dying) so we can have our "Pokemon weren't meant to fight. Not like this!" moment. And ultimately, it all comes to nothing. Tony gets the oversight he wanted and immediately ignores it, faces no consequences for ignoring it and it never becomes an issue again. Then in "She-Hulk," it's randomly mentioned that the oversight was repealed.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2023, 5:52 am

i dont mind superhero movies however i feel like they have oversaturated the market with them.

also sometimes it seems like they are more excited about showing us what they can do graphically rather than
writing a compelling story and characters. though to be fair that isnt limited to the super hero genre.