Are There Any Doctor Who Fans Out There?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Redbird
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2009, 11:29 am

I wanted to know if there are any Doctor Who fans out there, particularly fans of the original show that featured Tom Baker?

legionsdad
Raven
Raven

30 May 2009, 12:39 pm

my wife loves that show. I am getting into it.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 2:19 pm

The Doctor is an enemy of the Cyber Race. He called us a "pathetic bunch of tin soldiers." He must be destroyed! *clenches fist*

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 3:06 pm

I like watching Doctor Who but I've only seen the new series' with David Tennent.

darkfire627
Raven
Raven

30 May 2009, 4:53 pm

I love Doctor Who, but I only watch the new series. I've seen a couple episodes from Tom Baker but I can't get into it. I can't get past production values from back then. I know that's the best they could get at the time but It all looks so flimsy to me. I have the same problem with classic star trek.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 7:01 pm

I've watched both sets of series. BTW, Australian Doctor Who fans, Planet of the Dead is on tonight at 7:30pm on ABC1.

On sabbatical...

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 7:09 pm

I've always been a big Doctor Who follower though to be honest, I've got a bit of a "pushback" against Tom Baker because there are too many fans who think that he's the "only good doctor".

They slam forgotten classics like
William Hartnell - "The Aztecs"
Patrick Troughton - "Tomb of the Cybermen" (I'm ignoring the better stories which are lost)
Jon Pertwee - "Inferno" and "The Daemons"
Peter Davison - "Caves of Androzanni"
Colin Baker - "Revelation of the Daleks"
Sylvester McCoy - "The Curse of Fenric"
Paul McGann - no... I don't think so.

I think I can assume that doctors 9 & 10 are well defended.

and they forget that Tom Baker was in such "gems" as;

"The Horns of Nimon"
"Underworld"
"Full Circle"

Anyway, Tom Baker had some Brilliant Episodes too with "Pyramids of Mars", "Genesis of the Daleks", "City of Death" and the aptly named "Deadly Assassin" being my favourites.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 8:46 pm

I watched Full Circle recently, and it was fairly good.

And you missed a few good non-Tom Baker stories, gbollard. Like Vengeance on Varos, The Visitation, Earthshock, The Silurians... :)

On sabbatical...

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 9:16 pm

Doctor Who? :chin:

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 9:37 pm

gbollard wrote:
I've always been a big Doctor Who follower though to be honest, I've got a bit of a "pushback" against Tom Baker because there are too many fans who think that he's the "only good doctor".

Nowadays, everyone thinks that David Tennant is the only good doctor.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 9:56 pm

Cyberman wrote:
gbollard wrote:

He's not the only good Doctor, but I consider him, thus far, to be the best. Then it's Sylvester McCoy, Tom Baker, and then Patrick Troughton. In my opinion, anyway.

On sabbatical...

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 10:07 pm

Quatermass wrote:
He's not the only good Doctor, but I consider him, thus far, to be the best. Then it's Sylvester McCoy, Tom Baker, and then Patrick Troughton. In my opinion, anyway.

Weird, we're quite similar in that regard... my preferences are

1. David Tennant
2. Sylvester McCoy
3. Patrick Troughton
4. Jon Pertwee
5. Tom Baker
6. Christopher Eccleston
7. William Hartnell
8. Colin Baker
9. Peter Davison
10 Paul McGann

I'd been trying to be forgiving of Paul McGann because some of his audio adventures are quite good - but I recently watched The Enemy Within (the TV Movie) and ooh... it was bad. Doctor Who should never be allowed to be under US Control.

The funny thing is that the more Jon Pertwee I rewatch, the better I like him. I've seen them all but not for a little while and IMHO, during his tenure, he had one of the best ratios of Good vs Bad stories.

Hartnell is an acquired taste. You have to be in the right frame of mind - and to be honest, you really should watch his stories one episode per week - the way they were intended to be watched. It makes the "drag factor" less obvious.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 10:32 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Cyberman wrote:
gbollard wrote:

He's not the only good Doctor, but I consider him, thus far, to be the best.

He is very good, I agree. But it seems like most people these days don't pay heed to any of the other Doctors much, not even Tom Baker.

Quatermass wrote:
Then it's Sylvester McCoy, Tom Baker, and then Patrick Troughton. In my opinion, anyway.

I like all of those, including what I've seen of Pat Troughton (I watched "The Invasion" recently.) Then again, I don't really "dislike" any of the Doctors. I even enjoy Colin Baker's outbursts ("Unstable?? UNSTABLE?!?!") and he did have some pretty well-written episodes, like "Revelation of the Daleks," "The Two Doctors," and most of "Trial of a Time Lord." I'm not sure about Paul McGann... I've seen the movie, but not the audio stories.

gbollard wrote:
Doctor Who should never be allowed to be under US Control.

I agree, our TV sucks big, slimy Dalek appendages.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 11:19 pm

One of his audio stories is available on the Davros boxset: Terror Firma, which was pretty damn good. And there is also an adaptation of the famously partly-made Douglas Adams story Shada, which is available on the BBC website as a Flash animation with Lalla Ward as Romana, John Leeson as K9, and Andrew 'Manuel' Sachs as the main villain, Skagra. And you'll never guess who Sachs also had to play in a recent Doctor Who audio adventure, The Boy Who Time Forgot...

Anyway, the website for the Shada adaptation...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 6:51 am

Watched Planet of the Dead. An alright yarn, but I must confess that I am looking forward to The Waters of Mars far more.

On sabbatical...

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 7:32 am

Quatermass wrote:
Watched Planet of the Dead. An alright yarn, but I must confess that I am looking forward to The Waters of Mars far more.

Ah, but you'd agree that it was better than the Next Doctor?

Also - why does everyone hate the girl? She wasn't as bad as Melanie Bush.