A Nightmare On Elm Street Remake And Originals...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Hopeless_Hearts_Marie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2010, 9:22 pm

Ok who has seen them all?
I have. I went to the new one at MidNight and it was I thought awesome.
Yeah it has its faults, but other then that I loved it.

I have all the originals and can't wait to add this one to the collection. I do hope they make a sequel so they explain more or explore new plots.
I may even do some of my own fan fiction for it if I feel like it lol. I've done fan fic for the Dark Knight before.
I love the Joker and had to do some for him :D

Any opinions or talk on this one?

PS To add the coolness the theater I went to is named Springwood Theaters ROFL!!

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2010, 9:59 pm

I've been rewatching all of them as well. The Nightmare series is an absolute horror classic for me :) Keep up the good fanfic work, always loved reading and writing them.

Overkill
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2010, 11:46 pm

Yeah, I've seen all of them and have them all on DVD. The first one was great, second and third ones were good, fourth one was okay, and the fifth one and Freddy's dead were a step down, although still watchable. I thought Wes Craven's New Nightmare was a really good one, though.

What makes the Elm Street movies better than other slasher movies is the character development, and the fact that there's more creativity going on, as well as more of a plot. As I've grown older, I've begun to dislike the old Friday the 13th and Halloween movies becuase they seem so mindless and virtually absent of a plot. I used to love them, but as I've grown older, I've stopped liking them and learned to appreciate the elm street movies more for their creativity.

At first, I was really angry that they were remaking Nightmare on Elm Street. I'm sick of remakes, and I feel that they should just let the original stand on its own and not try to modernize it or destroy its legacy. I used to be a big Friday the 13th fan, but I thought the remake was really awful. I'll probably see the elm street remake at some point, hopefully in the theater, and I hope it's much better than the Friday remake. I'd rather they would just try to do another sequel than try to reboot the original. It usually turns out awful that way. But hopefully it will be better than I expect. I'm against the idea of remaking this movie, but as a dedicated horror and elm street fan, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 8:24 pm

Well, my wife and I caught the new A Nightmare On Elm Street just last Saturday, which was my birthday. And in my humble opinion, it was not that great. The very best thing in the movie was of course Freddy Krueger, played this time by the same actor who played Rorschach in The Watchmen. But otherwise, the story was weak, with little or no suspenseful build up, and maybe worse of all, there was so little character development that I could have cared less if the characters died. The remake can't hold a candle to the Wes Craven original.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 8:25 pm

until I saw this all I'd actually seen was the original and Freddy vs. Jason... the latter prior to the former.

I'm kinda disappointed they changed his back story. As I recall in the original 7 and the crossover his backstory was that he was a sociopath who kidnapped other kids on the main characters' of the movie's street and brutally killed them and was hunted and incinerated to death by the neighbourhood parents nad adults but I say making him a child rapist/molester that came back from the dead to remind the kids of the atrocities he had visited upon them was just..... bothersome. Long story short, even for a remake never change the original backstory for the killer. I mean seriously did Rob Zombie change Michael Myers' back story? No siree bob.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2010, 8:29 pm

I generally don't like horror films. I think the plots are stupid and use cheap thrills.

But Nightmare on Elm Street is the one movie that scared me to the core. Never even saw the whole thing. I *still* sometimes have nightmares about this movie, and it was, what, 20 years ago?

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 9:31 pm

I've seen the first three. The third one was so stupid that I never bothered with the rest of them. Awesome movies though. The first is by far the scariest and best of the ones I saw.

Athenacapella wrote:
I generally don't like horror films. I think the plots are stupid and use cheap thrills.

But Nightmare on Elm Street is the one movie that scared me to the core. Never even saw the whole thing. I *still* sometimes have nightmares about this movie, and it was, what, 20 years ago?

Did you get up to the bit where that guy was sucked into his bed and sprayed out all over the ceiling in a geyser of blood, guts and bone?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:18 pm

I watched A Nightmare On Elm Street on television a few years ago. I don't remember if I liked it or not--I think I thought it was okay. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite horror films, though.

I heard the remake isn't very good. The website RottenTomatoes has given the film a rating of 15%.

Hopeless_Hearts_Marie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2010, 5:34 pm

I love that the original was Johnny Depp's first movie XD
He played Glenn, aka the guy that was eaten by the bed lol :D