Pretty in Pink is one of the worst movies ever

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 7:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNGIg8f-0Wc[/youtube]

She DOESN'T end up with ^this guy (Ducky) and instead ends up at the end of the movie with the rich snobby prep who left her earlier in the movie.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 7:24 pm

Yeah, but Ducky does get Kristy Swanson at the end (or at least it's implied). It's definitely not as good as The Breakfast Club, but I still like it (the music especially!).

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Oct 2010, 7:47 pm

I read some where that in the original script she was suposed to end up with Ducky. But the lovely Miss Ringwald would not have it, and used her considerable star power to have the script changed.
This was a real blow to young men like myself in the 80's. It pretty much proved what we already knew. If you are a dork/nerd you do not get the girl.
Ducky was still my favorite character in the movie.

Perhaps they should make a sequel where Molly's character and the rich guy end in a nasty divorce, and she is lonely and bitter. Meanwile Ducky makes a billion dollars in the Dot com industry. :D

The 80's Rock!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ( not really)

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2010, 8:33 pm

I am still in love with Ducky. :)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 8:43 pm

She goes with the jerk in the end. Sorry but that just nullifies all that's good about it.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 9:38 pm

skafather, have you seen Not Another Teen Movie? They do a hilarious approach with this film with a character who's just like Ducky

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 10:07 pm

FJP wrote:
I read some where that in the original script she was suposed to end up with Ducky. But the lovely Miss Ringwald would not have it, and used her considerable star power to have the script changed.
This was a real blow to young men like myself in the 80's. It pretty much proved what we already knew. If you are a dork/nerd you do not get the girl.
Ducky was still my favorite character in the movie.

Wow, I didn't know that. The ending did strike me as "teenage girl's typical fantasy comes true," which was weird and disappointing for a John Hughes movie.

Quote:
Perhaps they should make a sequel where Molly's character and the rich guy end in a nasty divorce, and she is lonely and bitter. Meanwile Ducky makes a billion dollars in the Dot com industry. :D

And fat. Very fat. (and not because fat is so bad, but because she would be vain enough to hate herself for it (PC enough ?))

That ending reminds of "Michelle & Romy's High School Reunion," which was so much better.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 10:29 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
skafather, have you seen Not Another Teen Movie? They do a hilarious approach with this film with a character who's just like Ducky

Nah, I avoid the "not another" series as much as I avoid most recent "National Lampoon's" movies unless it stars Chevy Chase or Emilio Estevez.

/however, I'm always down for Broken Lizard movies.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 11:45 pm

It is no "Stand by Me" or "Dazed and Confused"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 12:08 am

I remember that movie. I didn't really enjoy watching it. It seemed pretty stupid. I wouldn't watch it again.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 11:06 am

Hey, don't dis Molly Ringwald, man. She's got some talent.

Hate to go Total Recall on you guys, but what if, hypothetically speaking, most of the film (particularly the last half) were all an elaborate dream created by Andie to deal with the pain?

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2010, 12:04 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
Hey, don't dis Molly Ringwald, man. She's got some talent.

Hate to go Total Recall on you guys, but what if, hypothetically speaking, most of the film (particularly the last half) were all an elaborate dream created by Andie to deal with the pain?

I actually kind of always thought that. There is this point in the middle of the film where it starts to take on an dreamlike, unreal state...and it's all the girlie fantasies falling in line and coming true--no matter how unrealistic. I think i need to watch it again now...

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2010, 1:05 pm

It was boring.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 4:36 pm

But in Molly's defense, Ducky was played by Jon Cryer. The guy from Mannequin is way cuter!