Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm

in the end, why doesn't batman simply let selina kyle kill shreck? shreck at this point of the movie has been revealed as a criminal mastermind already. as i am willing to point out, batman had NO objections to killing criminals in this movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ULSvR6hhyI so, why doesn't he just let shreck die and he can live happily with catwoman? are they trying to give batman a moral code after he has killed TONS of people in this movie? can somone please explain this to me????

the scene i am talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalexosgwUk

Last edited by imbatshitcrazy on 25 Nov 2011, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 1:50 pm

Your link doesn't work, and while some of the goons Batman fought COULD have died, I don't remember him out-and-out murdering anyone (actually, as I type this, I recall him setting a clown goon on fire with his Batmobile jet engine exhaust. Using that as an example of Batman killing someone is a stretch).

But let's assume you're right, and Batman in those movies is a Punisher-type vigilante with no regard for a criminals life. It's not so weird, even then, that he'd discourage Selina from killing Shreck, because while he might decide some men need killing, it brings him no happiness to do so, and he'd like to keep Selina, who he cares for, from living the kind of endless revenge life that he does.

So why didn't he just SAY that? Because....THE MOVIE SUCKS! Sorry, it just does not hold up well, and the newer movies are leaps and bounds better. The fact that they may have made him a killer as well (long time since I saw it) just angers me even more.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

sacrip wrote:
Your link doesn't work, and while some of the goons Batman fought COULD have died, I don't remember him out-and-out murdering anyone (actually, as I type this, I recall him setting a clown goon on fire with his Batmobile jet engine exhaust. Using that as an example of Batman killing someone is a stretch).

But let's assume you're right, and Batman in those movies is a Punisher-type vigilante with no regard for a criminals life. It's not so weird, even then, that he'd discourage Selina from killing Shreck, because while he might decide some men need killing, it brings him no happiness to do so, and he'd like to keep Selina, who he cares for, from living the kind of endless revenge life that he does.

So why didn't he just SAY that? Because....THE MOVIE SUCKS! Sorry, it just does not hold up well, and the newer movies are leaps and bounds better. The fact that they may have made him a killer as well (long time since I saw it) just angers me even more.

I've always found Batman Returns better than it's predecessor, but the Nolan movies are just miles better.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 4:55 pm

I loved Ledger as Joker in The Dark Knight, but I just couldn't take Batman's growling voice seriously.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 5:37 pm

link has been fixed.

Lexington and Cyclops, do you have anything to contribute regarding the question?

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 5:26 pm

íbsc, apologies; I didn't mean to de-rail. But it has been a while since I have seen the movie. I did just watch the youtube videos you linked to.

TV Tropes has an article on this which you may have already read, called 'What Measure Is A Mook?' It's basically about how strange it is that a hero who has been shown dropping henchmen by the dozens (in many cases, killing them), goes out of their way to spare the main villain at the end.

What Measure Is A Mook?

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 6:22 pm

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
link has been fixed.

Lexington and Cyclops, do you have anything to contribute regarding the question?

I think my main contribution is that the Tim Burton films verge close to fantasy and not the realistic take that Christopher Nolan has. But it was the Batmobile's jet exhaust that killed the fire-breathing goon, not Bats himself.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty