Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SpiderFan14
Raven
Raven

30 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm

I love love love this show! Its one of the funniest and well made shows I've ever seen!

I love all the characters and the plots. Everything is perfect on this show.

The autistic in me finds a great character in Abed Nadir. He loves movies and is the first to suggest te group embrace the movie homages (like the season two finale he went to a star wars homage with him being Han Solo while fighting the rival community college in paintball) and in general he's a very nice, funny guy. He did often engage in selfish actions in season three but this was mostly due to everyone changing around him and him threatened by change but he developed over time. I like him better than Sheldon on Big Bang Theory, he's too much of a jerk.

Anyone else excited for the fourth season premier February 7th?

ElsieKrys
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2013, 5:26 am

Community is tied with Doctor Who as my favorite television show! (I haven't liked this season quite as much as previous seasons but I still enjoy it a lot.)
I also think Abed is the best character on the show (although I like the whole ensemble.)

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 5:50 am

ElsieKrys wrote:
Community is tied with Doctor Who as my favorite television show! (I haven't liked this season quite as much as previous seasons but I still enjoy it a lot.)
I also think Abed is the best character on the show (although I like the whole ensemble.)

Yeah I was kind of disappointed a few episodes in but the most recent ones have felt more like the old Community again. Me and my girlfriend watched the 3 most recent episodes today and there were lots of laugh out loud moments :)

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 9:53 am

I'm actually late to the Community party, but when I started watching, I totally regretted not having started earlier! As much as I became a fan from watching the new season, most of my friends hate it in comparison to the old, so I'm watching the older seasons, and so far, I can see why they're annoyed. I'll still watch the series in its entirety, though!! !

Then I have done my job

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2013, 8:27 am

Yessss community is great. The characters, the references, the plot, everything. Initially I found season 4 was disappointing, but it improved as the season went on to the point where I'm not ecstatic about it but satisfied with how the season went. My favourite episode was Heroic Origins, it felt a lot like the old community without living off the old episodes.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2013, 10:24 am

When I gave community a go I couldn't see why people loved it so much. Honestly I thought it wasn't that funny.
But people kept saying how great it was, so I continued watching. I started enjoying the show but still didn't see the amazing humor the fans kept mentioning.
It took me to the first paintball episode to really start laughing. Season 2 was pretty funny overall, but season 3 saw a real dip imo.

If you like Community, watch Arrested Development. It's the same sort of humor, but so much funnier imo.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2013, 12:04 pm

I liked this show right from the start and I like how different show became after Season 1 (which I believe is probably due to Modern Warfare, the first paintball episode, because it was so different and people loved it).
I think it's great how they have episodes that are fairly "normal" and then stop motion animated, a zombie-like outbreak, muppets etc.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2013, 12:46 pm

Community is one of my favorite shows. I don't watch it so much because of the humor, I watch it more because it has so many unique ideas, so many hommages and references, spoofs,...etc. It's like a collage of popular culture. And I love how all the characters have some kind of issues and struggles of their own.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 9:36 pm

sixstring wrote:
If you like Community, watch Arrested Development. It's the same sort of humor, but so much funnier imo.

I'm switching around the order of your quotes in order to make my post a little more coherent. But actually, I sought out Community because I was looking for more shows like Arrested Development (which I had just recently gotten back into after not having watched it for a while), and a lot of people recommended it. I wouldn't *quite* rate Community at the same level as AD (at least not the original run), but it's still become one of my favorite shows. And while there's definitely similarities, I wouldn't say it's the exact same type of humor. I'd say it takes just as many cues from two of my other favorite shows - Seinfeld and classic 90's-era Simpsons. And probably a fair amount of other shows as well. But overall I'd consider it to be a pretty unique show.

sixstring wrote:
It took me to the first paintball episode to really start laughing. Season 2 was pretty funny overall, but season 3 saw a real dip imo.

I really liked the first two seasons, though I agree that it was around the time of the paintball episode (and the chicken fingers one) that it really hit its stride. I do agree that season 3 was a step down, especially in the second half of the season. The first half did have some episodes I really enjoyed, but by the end things had gotten a little too crazy. All the stuff about Inspector Spacetime, the Dreamatorium, the air conditioner repair school, and especially Chang's craziness didn't really work for me. The themed episodes were starting to get tiresome as well (I didn't like the video game episode at all), and Troy and Britta dating never really clicked either.

I still haven't watched all of the fourth season yet, but from what I've seen I have to agree that it just doesn't feel like the same show without creator/original showrunner Dan Harmon, or a lot of the older writers and producers. Seems like the new team continued some of the worst tendencies of the third season, while also watering down the characters and the signature style of humor that really made the show stand out for me. I will say that the Freaky Friday-themed episode was pretty good. The puppet episode didn't work for me, though - it just seemed like a pale shadow of the stop-motion "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas", one of my favorites from season 2.

Now, we've got Harmon coming back for season 5 (link), apparently along with previously departed writer Chris McKenna. But I'm guessing we'll still be missing some key people from the earlier seasons - including the Russo brothers, whose departures in the middle of season 3 may have contributed as much to the show's decline as Harmon's did. Still, I think things can only go uphill from season 4, and maybe Harmon will have learned from some of his mistakes during season 3, which even he admits was worse than the first two. Overall, I'm more optimistic about the fifth season than I was before this news was announced, and am hoping to see the show return to its full strength.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2013, 8:03 am

Yep, I am so looking forward to a new season with Dan Harmon back.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2013, 1:24 pm

Yes, definitely.
Although I wonder,...if I didn't knew that Dan Harmon wasn't in the last season, would my perception of those episodes have changed?
I still enjoyed the last season, although it was pretty short. But I'm glad he's back.