Thoughts on Derek played by Ricky Gervais?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 4:30 pm

What is your opinion of Derek and the programme? Do you find it offensive? Do you think this will be used by people to take the piss out of the people with additional needs?
To be fair I do like Ricky Gervais and I was okay and did laugh about him joking about autism by referring to Rainman but this... It does feel extreme...
I may be starting to lose respect for him... which is a shame.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 9:45 am

Throughout my life I have encountered characters like both of those played by Gervais and Pilkington and to be honest I don't think Gervais was poking fun at anyone, it was more about the relationships between the characters. I was quite suprised by Kark Pilkington, he gave a great performance. I found the ending incredibly heartfelt, actually. I may watch it again to see if I missed anything.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 8:58 pm

I watched it last night and I personally enjoyed it. I don't think he's trying to make fun of people with needs at all. For me I felt they portrayed people with different issues and personalities and how they still manage to coexist. Some moving drama thrown in with some comedy, different but it works well for this show. I found Karl funny in this as he is just being himself in it in both the way he speaks and the character :lol: Another funny thing I noticed was the character that was an autograph hunter which Ricky described in his Science stand up last year, guess that was him making the joke come to life!

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 4:01 am

I found Derek very like Napoleon Dynamite.