Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 11:06 am

Calvin is 6 years old, but like most fictional children he often acts much older. I'm not sure why this is so, although I read that Bill Watterson, the creator of Calvin and Hobbes, admitted he didn't have kids of his own which might have been the reason.

And that Robot Chicken episode is totally non-canon. A kid has an imagination, that must mean he's schizophrenic and therefore an insane killer. And why did they lock Hobbes in the padded cell with Calvin when he's the source of Calvin's insanity? I guess they didn't really want Calvin cured, go figure. :roll:

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2019, 1:50 am

Aspertastic424 wrote:
Now I know he is a fictional character, and for that reason does not have a diagnosis of anything. But I feel that Calvin of the comic "Calvin and Hobbes" definitly seems like a kid with aspergers. Just look at the whole picture of him: he doesn't relate well to kids his own age, instead finding companionship in Hobbes, a presumably neurotypical Tiger/friend. He wants to interact well with Susie Derkins, yet is unable to, often doing stupid or annoying things without meaning to. His is very intelligent and thoughtful, yet struggles with basic homework assignments, often getting lost in imagination as he tries do them. His parents write him off as lazy and undisciplined, and Hobbes has to serve as his executive functioner.

He is bullied sometimes, he has trouble getting along, is a very picky eater, is bad at organized sports, and all in all seems like he could have used more help and understanding. Does anyone else agree?

I know this is an old post.

I never thought of Calvin having Asperger's. But you described him very well, better than I could have!

I'm not sure he has Asperger's, although now that's gonna be swimming around my head from here on out! Won't rule it out though.

I learned about Calvin and Hobbes through a Sunday Comic Strip, at least a color comic strip when I was 5, and my mother told me about him. Then when I was 7 I found and read the first Calvin and Hobbes book, the one with Calvin and Hobbes jumping a wagon over a dock and Calvin has an umbrella!

Calvin seems like a trouble maker and seems to slack off and seems antisocial, and very imaginative! I don't think he has Asperger's but the way you described him is accurate and it would seem like he does!