Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Alki
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

Is there a word to describe having a thing, however minor or major, for fictional characters? Is it "Fanboy"?

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

I guess if you defend your reasons for liking that thing and telling everyone how great that thing is, then yes, others will call you a "fanboy", but I didn't think this related too much to Television or video. This happens quite frequently with videogamers I have noticed during the "PS3 is greater than Xbox 360" flaming I would see in the comments section on gamespot.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Mar 2013, 5:22 pm

^ It's also all over YouTube. Apparently people are so biased that they're willing to berate complete strangers.

Then again, this IS the internet. :lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 8:56 pm

Hmm well, "fanboy" (and the female equivalent, "fangirl") have been the only words I've encountered that designate high levels of love (or at least loyalty) towards fictional characters (though as aspiemike has pointed it, people can be fanboys/fangirls of other things besides fictional characters, such as gaming consoles or even operating systems or sports teams).

However, I do know of a word that designates a preference for animated characters over real people, and it is "schediaphilia".