Page 2 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 12:23 am

I finally watched the show online tonight. I've been intrigued since I first heard about it. I thought it was very good overall. There were definitely situations that I could identify with. But like others have said, I did find it a bit unrealistic that someone with AS could rise to the rank of detective without being able to do a better job of interviewing people. Then again, Cross appeared to imply that her boss may have had a hand in her getting to that rank when she referenced him cleaning things up.

I have mixed feelings about whether or not it should be stated in the show that she has AS. On the one hand it could be beneficial as a way to explain why she is the way she is and what she's had to do to get to where she's at. On the other hand, you then run the danger of AS becoming like another character on the show. Either way, I'm glad it wasn't mentioned in the first episode. If they do mention it, I hope it happens later in the series when the characters have become more established and more fully developed.

eric76 wrote:
It took me a few minutes to recognize the voice of her boss in the show -- the police captain from the series Monk.

Thanks. He seemed familiar but I guess I couldn't recognize him without the mustache.

eric76 wrote:
I prefer a tv show to be self contained instead of dragging issues over to the next show. That the one woman went down into the cellar but no more is shown about what she found or what happened in that cellar leaving a mystery to be cleared up in a later episode is something that I find very off-putting. The reason is that I rarely watch shows in the same sequence. If for one reason or another I should miss the next two episodes, then I will likely be lost as to what is happening with them. I quickly lose interest in watching such series.

I rather like multi-episode story arcs. I think it allows for more intricate storytelling. However, I also agree that if I miss an episode I will most likely stop watching due to feeling lost in what's happened.

However, I should admit that I haven't really watched much TV in the past 4 years or so. I watched the first episode of "Hannibal" and was intrigued, but apparently not enough to watch subsequent episodes. I think I will try to continue watching "The Bridge" and see how it develops.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 1:47 am

DarrylZero wrote:
eric76 wrote:
It took me a few minutes to recognize the voice of her boss in the show -- the police captain from the series Monk.

Thanks. He seemed familiar but I guess I couldn't recognize him without the mustache.

My prosopagnosia is bad enough that I would never have recognized him by sight. But as soon as he heard his voice, I knew I had heard the voice, it was just a question of where.

eagleye41
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2013, 12:31 am

My family and I enjoyed the first episode and look forward to the next. Diane's aspie portrayal was good but my wife has a very strong issue with her driving style. For a strong rule abider she feels her wild driving is at odds with that. Does anyone else have a take on that.

(I'm the aspie and she most assuredly is not one but ironically she has an extreme sense of following the rules)

PresidentPorpoise
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2013, 2:02 am

eric76 wrote:
I thought it was fine except for the apparent format. I thought that the acting and portrayals were fine.

I prefer a tv show to be self contained instead of dragging issues over to the next show. That the one woman went down into the cellar but no more is shown about what she found or what happened in that cellar leaving a mystery to be cleared up in a later episode is something that I find very off-putting. The reason is that I rarely watch shows in the same sequence. If for one reason or another I should miss the next two episodes, then I will likely be lost as to what is happening with them. I quickly lose interest in watching such series.

I'm not that fond of stories in series that take two weeks to show them, but at least those two shows are self contained within the two of them and don't bleed over the rest of the season. If you miss the first and then watch the second, you might be lost about that particular episode but the rest of the series is still not confused by the double episode.

I would likely enjoy the show far better if she solved one crime a week. If it takes the entire season to solve this crime, I will surely have lost interest completely by then. Any series that I have to watch in sequence to understand the series presents a problem for those of us who don't typically watch tv in sequence.

It seems to be a modern affliction that tv shows have season long or series long issues. Dr Who handles these better than any others I've seen. Monk was not real bad, either: there was the issue of who killed his wife, Trudy, but that wasn't really a major focus of the show -- I just ignored that them. In one of the Law and Order series, one character was seeing a psychologist for a while and each show would contain a few minutes of his discussions with the psychologist -- the fast forward control handled that okay but it was still a bit aggravating.

So what was in the cellar?

A lot of shows are telling serial rather than episodic stories these days. I wouldn't call it an affliction; in fact I think that a lot of the best shows on TV right now tell stories that take an entire season or more to tell, as it gives more room for character development, and it means that events that occur in an episode are more likely to have lasting repercussions down the line. But, I also think it's a matter of personal taste, and I can understand why you'd prefer a more episodic format with self-contained stories.

Unfortunately for you, I'm about 95% certain that the entire season will be devoted to the case introduced in the pilot. The show is based off of the Danish/Swedish show "Broen/Bron" and thus far the plot of "The Bridge" in general has paralleled that of the original, in which it took the entire season to solve the case. I actually think this is to the show's benefit, as the case involves a pretty unusual, difficult-to-solve crime, and I think it's more reasonable that it isn't solved in a single week, and I personally find more episodic crime dramas to be unrealistically contrived in the way that almost every episode there is a new bizarre, difficult to solve case which is wrapped up by the end of the week. But, to each his/her own, and all that; I totally understand why an episodic format can be more appealing.

By the way, if you're still interested in watching the show but can't always watch every episode the night it airs, you can watch it for free on Hulu (albeit on an 8-days-after-air-delay after the first 5 episodes, which I think can be streamed the day after air).

velocirapture
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2013, 10:45 pm

The second episode may have me hooked.

I just realized this actress was also the German film star in Inglorious Basterds! What talent to play such different roles and be believable in both of them.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jul 2013, 11:08 pm

Do not watch with your parents.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jul 2013, 2:34 am

First episode left me indifferent. Characters just weren't deep or compelling. The Aspie angle mostly annoyed me. This is in contrast, for example, to the emotional dysfunction that permeates the new Showtime series "Ray Donavan", and which I find fascinating. More depth there; more nuances. That's just my take; take it or leave it.

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2013, 4:15 am

This is the only TV show I'm tuning in every week for.

Kruger is a beautiful and ferociously competent, intelligent, and hard working actress. If anything, I think we don't see more of her in movies because she would easily upstage anyone she shares a scene with.

The guy who plays the mexican cop is also a very powerful actor. It's hard to tell when he's standing next to Kruger but I don't even think of him as an actor, I just think of him as that complex yet sympathetic mexican cop. Dermian Bichir. He reminds me of Ken Takakura in Ridley Scott's Black Rain; an established foreign actor who shows up in an American film and damn near steals the show with his presence.

They're extraordinarly well matched, it's fantastic casting.

And it's great to see Ted Levine again, even if it took me half an hour of thinking 'I'm sure I know that guy' to realize it was him. The man can vanish.

Also great to see Annabeth Gish again. Her character on the X-Files was interesting and well-played, and she's doing a great job here.

Won't mention others, but damn it's a great cast.

And the writing and direction is pitch perfect. I really love the tone they're finding. Soderbergh would be impressed by this vision of Mexican-American relations. It feels authentic and yet avoids the grime that can easily plague such things. Even set design is great, I love that the police offices aren't NCIS auditoriums but rather real working spaces, and that so much attention was paid to such little things, particularly by Kruger.

I'm particularly enjoying watching scene transitions. In tonight's episode, Kruger slept with some guy from a bar. That in itself was really well done, and the lucky actor did a great job showing his weirded out but not entirely dissatisfied experience. But notice how the next scene is the mexican cop's wife revealing her pregnancy. The timing of the scenes makes one think about whether Sonya was safe or not. There are a number of transitions like that in both episodes where one scene leads me to reflect on an immediately prior scene and view it in a slightly different light.

Someone's clearly working very hard to make a good show, and it's working.

And I'm happy that FX has found characters I don't have to hate. These aren't antiheroes or murderers, they're just people trying to do a good job in extraordinary conditions. I wish we had more shows like that, done even half as well as this one is.

Good job to everyone involved, and thanks for the entertainment!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 10:15 am

The lawyer's voice sounded familiar. I couldn't find him in the credits.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 10:56 pm

eric76 wrote:

Lyle Lovett.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 11:03 pm

DarrylZero wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Lyle Lovett.

Ahh. Was he listed in the credits?

I do pretty good with voices, but the last time I talked to Lyle was in 1979 or 1980.

PresidentPorpoise

19 Jul 2013, 1:17 am

velocirapture wrote:
The second episode may have me hooked.

I just realized this actress was also the German film star in Inglorious Basterds! What talent to play such different roles and be believable in both of them.

Yeah, Diane Kruger is awesome. Her only weakness thus far in "The Bridge" is that every once in a while her American accent will falter just a little bit, but otherwise she's been absolutely fantastic. The cast in general has been pretty great thus far.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 11:24 pm

eric76 wrote:
DarrylZero wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Lyle Lovett.

Ahh. Was he listed in the credits?

I do pretty good with voices, but the last time I talked to Lyle was in 1979 or 1980.

I don't know if he was listed in the credits, but I recognized him right away and said to myself, "Oh [expletive], that's Lyle Lovett!"

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 4:47 pm

I just watched the pilot episode. As a crime drama, I would not say it stands out as something spectacular (yet). The style in which it was filmed stood out as what I would call "highly American", which is not a good thing in my books.

Looking at the character of Sonya, I would say she is very clearly on the spectrum. I would say that based on the amount of references to her being crazy, or "interesting", she may have to reveal this to colleagues (perhaps when angry, or otherwise under emotional pressure) later in the series. In the episode I saw, nothing stood out as ridiculous. Basically, I have no issues with the character.

P.S. Sonya is described as having AS on the iTunes site.

Rocksicles
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2013, 5:49 am

eagleye41 wrote:
My family and I enjoyed the first episode and look forward to the next. Diane's aspie portrayal was good but my wife has a very strong issue with her driving style. For a strong rule abider she feels her wild driving is at odds with that. Does anyone else have a take on that.

(I'm the aspie and she most assuredly is not one but ironically she has an extreme sense of following the rules)

If shes referring to her getting antsy about the dude crossing the bridge, it was more to do with the crime scene than the rules. She's not portrayed as a by the book stickler for the rules. I think it's more when it comes to her actual police work, shes a perfectionist.

I also drive like she does, but i think i'm a brilliant driver.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 12:05 pm

In this week's show, they referred to someone living at "320 Wacko" a couple of times. What is the spelling of "Wacko street"? It's hard to imagine them having a street by that name however it might be spelled.

It left me wondering if it was "320 Waco" and they didn't have the foggiest clue about how to pronounce it.