Developer

25 Jul 2013, 3:01 pm

It's Hueco

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 3:16 pm

Thanks. I didn't think of Hueco.

The city of Waco is thought to have got its name from an Americanized spelling of Hueco from the Hueco Indians.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2013, 8:53 pm

hey guys its sad to see the hate Sonya is getting on imdb it just gos to show how uncaring normal people can be towards those who are different and thay say we lack empathy :roll:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 8:59 pm

kazma wrote:
hey guys its sad to see the hate Sonya is getting on imdb it just gos to show how uncaring normal people can be towards those who are different and thay say we lack empathy :roll:

Links?

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2013, 9:14 pm

you just have to look at The Bridge Threads on imdb to see the ignorant comments

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 9:29 pm

kazma wrote:
you just have to look at The Bridge Threads on imdb to see the ignorant comments

If imdb is what I think it is, I haven't looked at it in a very long time. They have comments now?

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2013, 10:57 pm

I mean like what some people are saying about how they find her behavior rude and annoying and are just ignorant to what its like to be on the autistic spectrum

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 4:04 pm

I have seen all 3 episodes on FX and am very much enjoying the show. However, a scene in episode 3 left me cringing and scratching my head.

When the guy Sonya slept with visited her at work and she panicked and blurted out, "I can't have sex at work!", I was like, "Oh, c'mon!"

Here's a mid to late 30s woman who is obviously very intelligent and risen through the ranks and that comes out of her mouth? No matter when she was diagnosed, I would think she would know enough having worked in a mostly NT world that you just don't say something like that, especially in front of your boss and new co-worker.

The scene above was a tad over the top, in my opinion.

I'm hooked though, so I'll keep tuning in and rooting for Sonya and Marco to find the bad guy.

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2013, 4:57 pm

The handling of sex is largely similar in the Danish edition, iirc. Also, it contains a scene where she mentions having her period - to work colleagues. The idea being to show her obliviousness to social norms and expectations.

velocirapture
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2013, 10:15 pm

Esther wrote:
I have seen all 3 episodes on FX and am very much enjoying the show. However, a scene in episode 3 left me cringing and scratching my head.

When the guy Sonya slept with visited her at work and she panicked and blurted out, "I can't have sex at work!", I was like, "Oh, c'mon!"

Here's a mid to late 30s woman who is obviously very intelligent and risen through the ranks and that comes out of her mouth? No matter when she was diagnosed, I would think she would know enough having worked in a mostly NT world that you just don't say something like that, especially in front of your boss and new co-worker.

The scene above was a tad over the top, in my opinion.

I'm hooked though, so I'll keep tuning in and rooting for Sonya and Marco to find the bad guy.

I did something like this well past the age where one would expect somebody to know better. :oops:

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 11:14 pm

I watched the original scandinavion version which was good. Really enjoyed that one!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 3:17 am

pokerface wrote:
I watched the original scandinavion version which was good. Really enjoyed that one!

Just out of curiosity, what was the location in the Scandinavian version? Or was it also about the Texas-Mexico border and the city of El Paso?

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 4:59 am

Where can I watch the Scandinavian version (presumably with subtitles)?

alwaystomorrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2013, 11:10 am

eric76 wrote:
pokerface wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what was the location in the Scandinavian version? Or was it also about the Texas-Mexico border and the city of El Paso?
In the Scandinavian version, the body is dumped on the Øresund/Öresund bridge, right on the border of Denmark and Sweden. The cultural, economic, and linguistic differences aren't nearly as big in the original -- in fact, I feel this is the biggest problem with the US remake -- so the problems in question are obviously quite different. There are a number of very good, well-argued comments on all this in this thread (my own rambling thoughts/comments: here).

I'm still giving the US version a shot for now. Speaking of which, I should catch up with the latest episode ...
mikassyna wrote:
Where can I watch the Scandinavian version (presumably with subtitles)?

A quick google search gave me a variety of links. I'm not going to post them here (not sure about the legal issues), but try putting this in Google: Broen Bron The Bridge English subtitle. Got me plenty of good results on DailyMotion, YouTube, etc.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 1:11 am

I assume that the ranch with the tunnel is located in New Mexico west of El Paso rather than in Texas east of El Paso. I would think that digging a tunnel under the Rio Grande would likely present a few problems. However, that is not impossible -- it has happened once as far as I know.

One thing about the tunnels is that they are always quite close to the border. The ones I have heard of were in border towns that pretty much sat on the border rather than in ranches or other rural property. A tunnel a quarter of a mile long from one end to the other would be one of the longer tunnels.

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2013, 1:01 pm

I didn't like the "sorry I didn't exercise empathy" stereotype during the first episode, and my wife thought that her character and the Texas accent of her boss were both a little exaggerated. I'll keep watching though, I guess. Did OCD people enjoy watching Monk?