Does anyone else think The Big bang Theory's gone downhill?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 7:54 pm

The sitcom, the big bang theory... dont you guys think it's not as good as it used to be? cause i sure do.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 9:52 am

Yeah, the newest episodes do have their hilarious moments, but not nearly as laugh-out-loud funny as it used to be. I also feel like that with the inclusion of the laugh track, it's like we're supposed to laugh at them, not with them when they do funny things.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 1:43 pm

I don't think it is as funny as it used to be. In my opinion I am finding the jokes and gags in the program to be predictable now. They need to do something fresh with the show.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 3:28 pm

I only watch it for Jim Parsons, but the show needs to retire one or two characters.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 3:55 pm

I agree, the only reason I watch it is because Sheldon seems to have Asperger's.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2015, 11:55 pm

I still enjoy the show, but I agree it's not as good as it was originally. I think the problem is that they have made all the characters too normal, they are now all in secure relationships, even Sheldon and Raj, and they have essentially abandoned the original premise of a bunch of nerds trying to make it in the world, and have turned it into just another sitcom.

I always thought it was obvious that Sheldon was meant to be a stereotypical aspie savant.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 11:00 am

Yeah, sadly. It's now just a weekly topical gag reel. Trying to interject current affairs into the storylines etc.

Phemto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2015, 11:15 am

I've been working on a blog post about, but haven't had the energy to finalize it. Here's my take.

TLDR- I used to think Sheldon was good thing for the Aspie community, a character who's "one of us," on a major show can't be bad can it. Now he seems more like a hurtful caricature. Less like Eddie Murphy breaking new ground and more like Al Jolson in black face capering about the stage.

--------

[Top of post would have 3 pictures in a row. John Inman as Mr. Humphries, Sheldon Cooper, and Al Jolson in black face.]

Draw a circle about the two characters above that are the most similar. Until recently, I would have thought this a easy one. Al Jolson's blackface character is a vile and damaging racial stereotype, made to lampoon an entire segment of society.
You might think the same about Mr. Humphries. The character from *Are You Being Served* was effeminate, flamboyant, catty, and mincing; every bit the stereotype of a homosexual man that existed in the middle of the 20th century. You'd think that the then-nascent LGBT movement would hold him up as a damaging caricature, but instead, he was adopted as one of their own. To be fair, Mr. Humphries' sexuality is never clearly revealed on the show, but there is much nudging and winking throughout the series. What set him apart from a black-faced character was that he was funny outside of his stereotype, able to make one liners about other characters. He was a stereotype, but he was also sympathetic.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that for at least 20 years before Mr. Humphries there were stereotypic gay portrails in TV and movies, but they were all villains. To be effeminate was automatically paired with being untrustworthy, cruel, and simpering. Mr. Humphries could be catty, but he could also be compassionate. What he turned out to be was the thin end of the wedge. If you had to play to stereotypes to get a gay(ish) man on television, so be it. Maybe people will get used to it and you can start sneaking in more realistic characters, and show them to be ordinary people.

Recently, I started to see Sheldon Cooper as the Aspie's version of Mr. Humphries. When it comes to stereotypes, he ticks all the boxes.

* He's awkward socially. He's both demonstrated and admitted that he doesn't pick up on facial, voice, or body language cues.
* He has a strict routine, and is resistant to change.
* While not explicitly stated, his sensory issues come out in his slavish instance of sitting in the same seat, or the way he sleeps in bed, and his selection of clothes.
* He has a *special interest* in trains, and can discuss them for hours.

Like Mr. Humphries, Sheldon's status is never clearly stated. There is always at least a tiny bit of plausible deniability for the writers and producers, but we can look knowingly at each other and think "Who do they think they're kidding?"

Until recently, I would have paired Sheldon with Mr Humphries without hesitation. After the last episode, I'm less sure. He's dumped, and becomes what many women would consider a stalker. His behavior is understandable from his viewpoint of hurt and confusion, but that's never addressed. By the end of the episode, he goes on a misogynistic rant. There's even a joke about Marie Curie being an "honorary man," because of her contributions to science, implying that real women couldn't make a contribution.

This was the point when I started to see less of Mr. Humphries, and more of *Little Black Sambo*. He capers about the sound stage being irascible and inappropriate, and we all laugh. Meanwhile, our brains adapt to the assurance the anxiety and social isolation many Aspies suffer are all their fault. Sheldon's a mysogonist, self-centered jerk, with little consideration for others. It's amazing he has the friends he has. There are times when the writers seem to be saying "Oh, those Aspies. What a bunch of losers, but it's fun to watch them try."

I guess I'll wait to see. Is Sheldon going to continue to be a walking source of self-centered, unsympathetic, cutting one-liners, or are we going to start to see a person in there? The writers need to learn that empathy and compassion are two different things. Aspies often lack one. Hollywood writers lack the other. It's too bad. They'd be even funnier of they had it.

watson503
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2015, 11:20 am

I agree, the past season or two has found me losing interest and I'm still a fan and watch, but the magic isn't there like it used to be and it seems the show has jumped the shark. Last season's finale I watched and was like "that's it?" . The Office - which was a great show and one of my all-time favorites - cast members felt the show had run its course and decided it was time to call it a day, TBBT needs to do the same thing and come-up with some great scripts and end with for lack of a better word, a bang.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 7:32 pm

It kinda feels like it's running on its on fumes. They're passed their peak and the quality is just going to go down with each season. It's time to retire it the show before they crash and burn at rock bottom.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 7:38 pm

It's the same old show.

You all have just gotten too used to it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 2:01 pm

Now that Amy broke up with Sheldon, they might as well retire Amy since there is absolutely no point in keeping her as a character on the show.

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2015, 3:48 am

They may quite possibly be doing that on purpose, I don't know how reliable this info is but I have seen some pretty crazy stuff about how extravagantly the actors are paid by the studio, and I'm pretty sure the actress who plays Amy is an actual scientist, maybe she wanted to go back to her old career?