Which Transformers movie did u like better?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Which Transformers movie did u like better?
The 1986 movie 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
The new 2007 version 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 7

JimmyNeurtonRules
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 1:14 pm

The 1986 movie

The 2007 movie

I liked the new Transformers better than the old movie for 4 reasons:

1. Optimus Prime never died
2. It had alot more action
3. It was totally mind-blowing
4.ITS FREAKIN AWSUME!! !! !! !!

So tell me which version u liked the most and why.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 1:36 pm

Hard to compare, I'm glad to have both, the original for the original characters, but the new one for the less-corniness of it (I found it genuinely funny when it was supposed to be. And the scale was amazing.) But I still love the original designs. It's like choosing between Adam West versus Dark Knight Batman; I appreciate both for what they are.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 3:06 pm

The original animated movie will likely always be my favorite movie of all time.

While it was neat seeing so many TF characters in live action, letting you feel what it would be like having these things running around in real life, the new movie basically looked and felt like any other recent summer blockbuster, but with Transformers in it.

The animated movie, on the other hand, blew away all of the expectations that I had going in at age 8. I don't think any kids in the audience had even imagined anything as apocalyptic as Unicron eating that entire inhabited planet, and that was just the first 3 minutes! And then characters that I KNEW would never actually get killed because of the rules of television I'd already absorbed, were suddenly slaughtered without warning! It was like the ancient, epic space-war that we were promised from the beginning of the franchise was finally kicking into high gear, with actual consequences instead of just endless episodes of the Autobots racing through the Grand Canyon to stop Megatron's latest energy absorbing/world dominating device of the day.

And that brings me to another point: if Transformers had just been Optimus Prime and Megatron endlessy slugging it out with new troops (toys) introduced regularly, it would have gotten stale. The movie proved that you could change the dynamic of the story and still have it be Transformers, something necessary given the premise that the war had been going on for millions of years. Therefore, having Optimus die a heroic death was the right thing to do. He's one of the greatest characters ever created by pop culture, capturing the best aspects of John Wayne, Genral Patton, and Abe Lincoln, and having him fall in battle to protect the next generation made him even more inspiring and mythical later on. I actually liked his successor Rodimus Prime just as well though, because he was easier for a kid to identify with, and he actally did stuff like coordinate peace treaties between other planets later on, something we never got to see Optimus do. A lot of fans could never get over all the dramatic changes wrought by the movie, but if it weren't for the movie doing so, I doubt that Transformers would have anywhere near the devoted following and complex mythos that it does today.
The greatest Japanese cartoon, Victory, was so good largely because the Autobots and Decepticons had leaders that weren't even pretending to be Op or Megs, but it still felt like a proper continuation of the cartoon (3 seasons after where the American cartoon left off).

A lot of fellow fans I've talked to agree that the best TF stories were the ones where humans are essentially ignored, focussing instead on the characters of the robots and their place in the universe. That's one of the things Beast Wars got right, putting them on an earth where humans hadn't evolved yet. The '86 movie is a prime example in that it was about the Transformers trying to stop Unicron, with 2 human sidekicks along for the ride. The new movie showed how terrifying these aliens would be to the average human, but the idea that Megatron wanted to exterminate us for some reason didn't make sense. The original Decepticons didn't really attack humans until they actively supported the Autobots and became a threat. Otherwise, they were indifferent to us, like most Lovecraftian aliens.

And that brings me to the worst thing about the new movie: the Decepticons were just monsters with ZERO characterization. They were all generic designs with a few classic names slapped on them, except Megatron and Starscream, who were only barely recognizable. The original Decepticons had comeraderie and were often more interesting than the Autobots, so much so that there's a certain faction of fandom that considers them a misunderstood warrion race trying to rid the universe of the Autobots' statgnant hypocritical ideals. Not many fans agree with that, but that take on it shows just how well thought out the original characters were, and makes it a real shame that none of that characterization survived into Bay's movie.

The original movie's main weakness was that it only really worked if you were already familiar with the show and/or comics. The new film was at least a self-contained story that conveyed its points well.

But hey, I'm still looking forward to the sequel! If Soundwave, the Dinobots, the Constructicons, and possibly even other gestallt teams are going to be in it, it should easily surpass this one! Don't get me wrong, I LIKED Bay's TF, but nothing can touch the original in my mind.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2007, 5:37 pm

yeaHbut,"Why's the brother"- Jazz -"always got to be the one who gets it?????"??????

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2007, 9:26 pm

The friends I saw it with pointed that out too.

The ironic part is that out of the 5 Autobots in the new movie, Jazz was the only one who was never killed/totally destroyed in either G1 cartoon or comic continuity. He survived everything! The closest he ever came to dying was when Starscream wasted him with the power of the Underbase (which the Allspark cube was most likely based on) in issue 50 of the U.S. comic, and Ratchet revived him by giving him a self-healing pretender-shell.

Pretender shells were armor that gave TFs the additional disguise of an organic being. The Autobots' shells were mostly giant humans in space suits for some reason.

And Jazz's shell, like all the others, was a white guy! Man, a brother really can't get an even break!

Movie Megs tried though...Ow.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

SonicNerd45
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jan 2008, 4:04 pm

The newest one because it had alot more action than the cartoon. Too bad the Dinobots weren't in the movie.....

draxen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2008, 4:08 pm

How come there isn't an option to say that I'd rather perform a prefrontal lobotomy on myself with an egg whisk and a pair of blunt scissors soaked in vinegar than watch either of these movies ?

JimmyNeurtonRules
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 4:41 pm

draxen wrote:
How come there isn't an option to say that I'd rather perform a prefrontal lobotomy on myself with an egg whisk and a pair of blunt scissors soaked in vinegar than watch either of these movies ?

Fan of the Angry Video Game Nerd I see

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2008, 2:26 am

SonicNerd45 wrote:
The newest one because it had alot more action than the cartoon. Too bad the Dinobots weren't in the movie.....

The first Bay movie had to introduce them, leaving only enough room for the hiding-in-plain-sight gimmick. Cramming in the Dinobots, who'd stick out in either mode, would have made it feel too convoluded.

They WILL be in the sequel though, along with Soundwave, the Constructicons, and possibly other gestallt teams (combiners) as well!

This opens up the possibility that the Dinobots will also be able to combine into a larger robot, and fight Devastator head-to-head! That wouldn't be any less G1 accurate than anything else in the Spielberg/Bay universe, and Transfans have been crying for years for new Dinobot toys that can do this. As long as they look even remotely like their G1 counterparts (the same 5 guys as the same 5 dinosaurs can't be THAT unreasonable), I'd be happy.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Cyndi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2008, 2:54 am

The old one had Unicron, but it also killed off most of the original cast.

The new one had freaking SEXY Optimus, ADORABLE Bumblebee...but Jazz dies...but it still has Bumblebee ^_^ I love 'Bee!

...and I wish I had wires so I could 'do' Optimus. Mm I love his voice.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 2:15 am

Cyndi wrote:
...and I wish I had wires so I could 'do' Optimus. Mm I love his voice.

Wow. Okay, 3 things:

1. Active members of the Transfan community know that all you really need is a rigid grille structure.

2. Did you see the 90 minute premeire of the new animated series on Cartoon Network? There's a simply priceless scene where Op asks their new human sidekick how humans produce new "little sparks".

3. Have you ever seen RazorMoon's site?

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG