Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

05 May 2014, 10:32 pm

Let's face it, you've seen a movie or TV show from Walt Disney Studios at some point in your life. But, let's discuss, why do we love their works? Here's my reasons:

1) Reason to believe. In every princess movie, and I am a 27 year old man who loves them (Frozen, Tangled and Braves are the latest examples of this), I knew that if I dreamed hard enough, I could get my happy ending (and get your mind out of the gutter with that).

2) Their timelessness. Even the films made when Walt Disney himself was alive feel timeless, as far as their stories go. :)

Now, let's hear you guys about why you <3 Disney.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

GlennBecksTears
Raven
Raven

05 May 2014, 10:40 pm

They gave Pixar its start. Nuff said.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 1:52 am

GlennBecksTears wrote:
They gave Pixar its start. Nuff said.

Seconded!

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 3:20 am

The neat thing about Disney movies is that they can't have a lot of brainless violent fodder to feed to the mindless masses. This conveniently forces the creators to put the emphasis on the narrative, they can't rely on style over substance because 'oooh shiny explosions' isn't going to fly well for a family film.

But I've always said to myself that the sheer amount of craft that goes into a Disney/Pixar film is really quite amazing.

It is quite timeless as you say. I notice as I get older the less violence I can tolerate in movies/shows, I don't like action movies anymore, but the further I am from action movies, the more I can appreciate those Disney films. I especially love the earlier stuff (Pinocchio is probably my favorite).

BTW I'm pretty sure Pixar existed under Apple before they were bought by Disney.

Suhtek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2014, 8:08 am

Disney has mass appeal. They did not of course come-up with the muppets or star wars,
but Disney had the good sense to buy them both.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 9:14 am

Frankly, I despise Disney.

When they rarely came out with a movie, so they poured a lot into making it a classic, I loved them.

Once the got Eisner at the helm (who, in my opinion, made it all about money), Disney exploded onto everything.

Their products are largely crap. Mass produced garbage with lame or overused plot lines. Just as most children shows are made to sell a toy, Disney is over the top.

I can't think of the last time I saw anything come out of Disney that I really liked or that hold a candle to some of the "classics" they produced in their early years.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 4:51 pm

Disney is quite overrated really. Walt Disney was a ultra-conservative man who took good fairy tales and spoiled them with misogyny, manichean storytelling and simplistic view of relationship of man with nature. So we got weak female characters surrounded by nice birds and cute critters as well as obvious and clear cut villains. (Just look at their design.)

It seem that despise a well researched visual and great technical achievements, the man was simply unable of deep and meaningful storytelling. A legacy that still persist today in western animation. (Only Pixar managed to go partly beyond it.) At least there is anime.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 1:06 am

Sheltered very heavily as a child, my main sources of information were country music, TBN, and Disney movies. I've seen most of the older animated films countless times, being just 9 years old when "The Little Mermaid" hit theaters. I have quite a few of them on Blu-Ray (still no "Aladdin" for the USA, sadly). I also enjoy some of their live-action fare, like "Flight of the Navigator", "The Rocketeer", and "The Three Musketeers".

Far more often than not, the folks at Disney aim their products at families in general, and that's why I like them. Sure, there's stuff aimed at really young kids that sucks, but folks from 9 to 90 can watch the majority of their movies and TV shows, without being bothered by content issues. Walt knew how to draw in an audience without relying on tasteless material, and his legacy seems to have been preserved fairly well. My favorite films he was personally involved with are "Peter Pan", "The Jungle Book", "Alice in Wonderland", and "Mary Poppins". I never did enjoy "Snow White" too much, aside from thinking Dopey was funny.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 8:18 am

Popeye- Actually, I saw this again recently when I was looking up Harry Nilsson albums. Great music. But, with rare exceptions, Disney was always too saccharine for me. I preferred european animation.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uSrOngevao[/youtube]

You can probably find this somewhere online for free.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoFpvG5fb-0[/youtube]

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 2:19 pm

There is a certain... positive world view, for lack of a better way to explain it, that permeates most Disney endeavors. For example the movie Maleficent. It deals with a very dark topic. I'm glad it did that. And also thankful it's balanced with beauty and love in the relationship with Aurora. Pretty much any Disney property I could bring up people would want to point out some flaw about it. I'm not trying to say they're a perfect company or they're movies and shows are 100% flawless all the time. But it's hard for me to imagine a life without Disney being part of it.

AraleNorimaki
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2014, 7:20 pm

Because Fantasia. :hail:

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 7:39 pm

I love the old 90s and before Disney, the parks, the movies and such. However in the latter years of Eisner's reign and more so with Bob Iger's I have seen Disney abandon quality in return for higher quarterly profits especially at Disney World.
If they really cared about their guests they would lower the ticket prices of Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios by 1/2, Epcot and Magic Kingdom by 1/3, ban loud annoying tour groups from Brazil and build more things besides DVC expansions and stores featuring the exact same merchandise (and no Avatar doesn't count because it's just a terrible reaction to the relatively amazing Harry Potter universe at Universal Orlando). Once upon a time there was a Disney that actually created new rides based on what they have and what guest want to see, had ticket prices below $50, and the movies that Disney Animation created were worth remembering and rewatching some even over 60 years later.
I don't hate Disney today I still love it, I just think it's been declining in quality for some time now because of the greedy people who run it.

Last edited by AntDog on 25 Jul 2014, 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brackets
Raven
Raven

23 Jul 2014, 8:26 pm

I always feel a little bad about liking Disney because of my disdain for large corporations, but I love me a good animated movie, and Disney's are usually quite good. (Although this reminded me in a roundabout way that I wanted to watch more Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli stuff at some point, lol.)

SunnyMistyCat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm

I love Disney Movies!! They totally capture the imagination and as so many have said, they are timeless! Every Disney movie takes us into another world we might not have seen but in our dreams! Yay Disney for still making masterpieces -- even if they look different than when they started... we all look different than when we started! But thankfully Disney continues to allow us access to the classics be it DVD, or #VOD!! Anyone else totally enjoying the free preview this week from DisneyFamilyMovies.com -- think I might watch #OliverandCompany tonight, and then some #SleepingBeauty followed by #DickTracy.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 11:58 am

What I really enjoy are the creative aspects behind the movies with regards to story, animation, and even many memorable characters. I remember Ariel, I remember Maleficent, I remember Belle, I remember the Beast, I even remember Quasimodo and Frollo. All of these characters are timeless and still remembered fondly to this day.