Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 9:48 pm

Star Wars has made an indelible mark on pop culture, especially in US cinema (for better or for worse). It's because of Geoege Lucas' franchise that moviegoing has become so mainstream. It's sometimes easy to forget that other great works of fiction came out in theaters long before Jedi meant anything to anyone. That's why I started this thread, so everyone could discuss or simply list their favorite motion pictures made before the premiere of A New Hope (May 25, 1977). I'm more familiar with animated works than live action movies, and I'm relatively ignorant of fictional media from outside the US (save for some examples of Japanese animation), so I'll list works from the Disney Animated Canon that I remember seeing on VHS or TV:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Pinocchio (1940)
Dumbo (1941)
Bambi (1942)
Cinderella (1950)
Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Peter Pan (1953)
Lady and the Tramp (1955)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
101 Dalmatians (1961)
The Jungle Book (1967)
The Aristocats (1970)
Robin Hood (1973)
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (March 1977)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:19 am

I've seen most of those, and I like Bambi, the Jungle Book, the Aristocats, Robin Hood, and Winnie the Pooh best.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:20 am

I've seen all of those listed.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:24 am

I wanted Winnie the Pooh so much that the tape ran out! :lol:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:28 am

Winnie the Pooh was an old childhood favorite. :)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:34 am

I still love all of the characters. The Search For Christopher Robin scared me when I was little.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:37 am

Gotta love that Tigger voice!

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

Yeah! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I still have my big collection of all of the Winnie the Pooh stories. :)

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:41 am

The ending of Donkey for a Day is one of THE greatest animated scenes of all time.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:59 pm

.. Star wars made very little of an immediate impact on cinema really. Only through its sustained revivals and its fans who'd buy more and more merchandise well into adulthood, it became a pop cultural phenomenon- however, cinema itself wasn't really harmed... I mean, films for adults have not changed in the wake of it, but the blockbuster, aimed at kids, was invented.

Anyway:
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=w ... 4O0DzSuJ9Q

Here's a list of films that had a lasting impact on cinema(, but far less so on pop culture, at least...not so much comnercial impact...).
Pick any of the hundreds of fantastic films from before 1977.

As for picking a favourite... I don't know... "An andalusian dog", maybe.
Or "nosferatu". .. ." gone with the wind".
"Lawrence of arabia"..." Insect woman"...
Jesus that's hard...

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2016, 8:50 pm

In regards to movies that were made before Star Wars and aren't the ones the OP mentioned, I like the Charlie Chaplin films and those generally based off of plays that were popular at the time. Arsenic and Old Lace is a personal favorite of mine, and a play I'd actually like to do as well. There's also Mary Poppins as well. And Three Stooges.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 7:30 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
Star Wars has made an indelible mark on pop culture, especially in US cinema (for better or for worse). It's because of Geoege Lucas' franchise that moviegoing has become so mainstream. It's sometimes easy to forget that other great works of fiction came out in theaters long before Jedi meant anything to anyone. That's why I started this thread, so everyone could discuss or simply list their favorite motion pictures made before the premiere of A New Hope (May 25, 1977). I'm more familiar with animated works than live action movies, and I'm relatively ignorant of fictional media from outside the US (save for some examples of Japanese animation), so I'll list works from the Disney Animated Canon that I remember seeing on VHS or TV:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Pinocchio (1940)
Dumbo (1941)
Bambi (1942)
Cinderella (1950)
Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Peter Pan (1953)
Lady and the Tramp (1955)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
101 Dalmatians (1961)
The Jungle Book (1967)
The Aristocats (1970)
Robin Hood (1973)
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (March 1977)

I like a lot of those movies too. However, I'd also like to add It's A Wonderful Life, Fantasia, Mary Poppins, Planet Of The Apes (1968), and A Clockwork Orange.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 2:10 am

The Wild Bunch
Jaws
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
High Anxiety
North By Northwest
Psycho
Nosferatu
The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari

I'm sure there are many more.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 1:14 am

Just on sci fi there any many more - Logan's Run is an interesting one as it was made just before Star Wars. Logan's Run is nowhere near as technically brilliant as Star Wars, but still holds up.

On sci fi there's all sorts, Farenheit 451, Thx 1138, or try digging further back to Metropolis or The Shape of Things to Come.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 2:05 pm

I'm not really a fan of older movies, but I would have to say that Planet of the Apes (1968) was my favorite pre-Star Wars film.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 7:32 pm

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest- Easily one of the greatest movies ever made.