Page 1 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2004, 12:39 pm

Hey, are there any other anime-geeks out there? I love watching anime. My current favorites are "Neon Genesis Evangelion," "Serial Experiments Lain," and "Haibane Renmei." Has anyone seen any of these?

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2004, 7:45 am

No. I don't watch anime!

:!: Mich :?:

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2004, 8:44 pm

Hi. Yes, I've seen the first two all the way through and the third I've seen a couple episodes. I love all of them :D Neon Genesis EVangelion was one of my major perseverations for a few years. My favorite character is Asuka, and I especially find her issues with her mother and dolls interesting. I have one of the director's cut dvd's (including ep. 22, the one where Asuka has her big breakdown). I love the movies and the references to gnosticism. Lain is great, too. I loved God in that. It was fascinating. Unfortunately, I haven't seen too much of Haibane Renmai yet. :cry: I liked the beginning, though, and I love anyone with angel wings :heart:

shellfd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2004, 10:29 pm

my daughter sleeps, eats, and drinks anime....
she is a great artist and is always drawing........ hum.............anime.....
an obsession.
she currently is getting things ready for an anime convention that will be next year in pittsburg, pa. She will be making her costumes....
Michele

she also is a member to this site- I am sure she will make a post.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2004, 6:50 am

Quote:
I love all of them Neon Genesis EVangelion was one of my major perseverations for a few years. My favorite character is Asuka, and I especially find her issues with her mother and dolls interesting.

It's funny that Asuka is your favorite, because mine's the complete opposite- Rei. I see a lot of her character in myself, and she also seems rather AS-like to me (though her behavior is more likely due to her origins and upbringing). Rei is one of my current "obsessions," along with AS. I also loved the movie, as well (I haven't been able to see Death and Rebirth, but I own End of Evangelion), for me, without it the series would not be nearly so epic. However, unlike most people, I also really enjoyed the last two "introspective" episodes- I love character development and psychology, so it was right up my alley, so to speak.

For a couple of years, I was completely obsessed with Lain, as well. Now, it's petered off into a mild interest. God freaked me out, to be honest, though his relationship with Lain was very intrigueing to me.

Haibane Renmei is an amazing series, and if you're able to get your hands on it, I highly recommend it. It's very slow and meandering, but the ending will definitely make the series for you. Also, as I said before, I love character development, and this show is all about that, as well as the world the Haibane exist in.

Quote:
my daughter sleeps, eats, and drinks anime....
she is a great artist and is always drawing........ hum.............anime.....
an obsession.
she currently is getting things ready for an anime convention that will be next year in pittsburg, pa. She will be making her costumes....

Heheh, I'm a bit the same way. Though I'm very picky about which series I watch. I don't have the patience for a lot of things.

I've been to two anime conventions (Anime Boston, both years), I went with a group of friends both times for just a day. It was all right, I am not good at socializing so I mainly go because I get to dress up, and to see other people's costumes. I also love the anime music videos, which we unfortunately missed last time. Hopefully the convention she is going to has a better schedule than the one in Boston did, because that made it a very irritating situation for me (not knowing what was happening when, not being able to plan the day). Does she know anyone else who is going? It would probably be good for her to get together with them if she does, because it'll probably be a lot more fun that way. What costumes is she making?

shellfd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2004, 11:00 am

Civet, she went to the convention with one of her friends, and my husband- they stayed for the whole convention...
they will all go together for the upcoming one, as well.
I am not sure who she is going to be- she has changed it a couple of times...
she has not posted on this topic yet- but I am sure she will and you can talk to her......
she is a great drawer of anime......
maybe she will submit a drawing
well, talk to you later

you would get along- anthing to do with anime she loves---
also, my daughter is of the artisy type- not a conformist....
currently- she has pink hair, her room is hot pink and black with anime posters all over the walls, she dresses in either goth- or punk/anime style...she loves to write and draw, and wants to live in Japan ( she is thinking of going to college for translating; and doing art on the side..)
she does what she does because she likes it- not because of anything else... and when people met her, and see through the "differences" they really like her, she is smart and intelligent, and pretty....
Michele

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2004, 2:26 pm

Civet wrote:
It's funny that Asuka is your favorite, because mine's the complete opposite- Rei. I see a lot of her character in myself, and she also seems rather AS-like to me (though her behavior is more likely due to her origins and upbringing). Rei is one of my current "obsessions," along with AS. I also loved the movie, as well (I haven't been able to see Death and Rebirth, but I own End of Evangelion), for me, without it the series would not be nearly so epic. However, unlike most people, I also really enjoyed the last two "introspective" episodes- I love character development and psychology, so it was right up my alley, so to speak.

I liked Rei a lot, too. My personality kind of flip flops between being hyper-emotional and very neutral/expressionless. I'm also a perfectionist and can't stand failing (like Asuka). The character development and psychology of Eva intrigued me a lot, too. The pseudo-scientific/technological apsect was waaay in the background for me. I liked the final episodes and the movies for different reasons. I first watched that series when I was very self-isolating, and that gave me a lot of time for introspection and the world of Eva thrives on that :D

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2004, 9:37 pm

Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer Go!

kyoified
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2004, 12:17 pm

I am soooooo glad that someone brought this subject!! I'm Shellfd's daughter. Ok, I am starting to watch Evangelion...and all I can say is wow! My fave character has to be Rei Ayanami.....but, Misato comes in close second. My favorite Anime is Gensomaden Saiyuki. (Anyone ever heard of it?) And I'm starting to get into Excel Saga. Sorcerer hunters, Pretear, Colorful, Chobits and Angelic Layer are also some of my favorites. And Although I don't really like Mecha, I think that Rahxephon Really good!!....Anyone ever see Akira? I'm currently following them on the Anime Network, so I've seen episodes of each. I also like Japanese Rock bands such as Dir en Grey, Due'le Quartz, and Miyavi!!, A bit of Malice Mizer (Rest in Peace Kami) and Gackt, L'arc~en~Ciel are pretty good...and Utada Hikaru...even though she is Jpop. Ummm....and I'm starting to get into x(JAPAN) (Rest in Peace Hide)
Does anyone else listen to Jrock??
I'm also very into Dance Dance Revolution.... ^_^;; (I'm sorry that I'm rambling...but, This is a subject that I am VERY familliar with!!)

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2004, 8:58 pm

Quote:
I liked Rei a lot, too. My personality kind of flip flops between being hyper-emotional and very neutral/expressionless. I'm also a perfectionist and can't stand failing (like Asuka). The character development and psychology of Eva intrigued me a lot, too. The pseudo-scientific/technological apsect was waaay in the background for me. I liked the final episodes and the movies for different reasons. I first watched that series when I was very self-isolating, and that gave me a lot of time for introspection and the world of Eva thrives on that

I am usually pretty neutral/expressionless, especially around those I don't know well. But I can also get very goofy, so I guess I'm like a weird mix between Rei and Misato, and probably a bit of Shinji (as much as I hate to admit that). Rei's still my favorite, of course.

Yes, I also tend to let the technical/scientific aspects fade into the background in favor of character psychology. Some of the religious aspects interest me, I did a bit of research on the internet to answer some of my questions, but I realized that a lot of the symbolizm goes far too deep for the casual enthusiast to understand. Not only that, but Anno (the creator) did not plan everything out perfectly. He had never intended for the show to be so popular in the West, he said he chose Christianity as the symbolic element because it is considered exotic in Japan. Focusing on just one aspect of the show (the psychological) is much easier and more interesting for me. I thrive on introspection.

Quote:
I'm Shellfd's daughter. Ok, I am starting to watch Evangelion...and all I can say is wow! My fave character has to be Rei Ayanami.....but, Misato comes in close second. My favorite Anime is Gensomaden Saiyuki. (Anyone ever heard of it?) And I'm starting to get into Excel Saga. Sorcerer hunters, Pretear, Colorful, Chobits and Angelic Layer are also some of my favorites. And Although I don't really like Mecha, I think that Rahxephon Really good!!....Anyone ever see Akira?

Nice to meet you. Did you have fun at the convention you went to? What did you dress up as?

I'm glad to hear you're watching Evangelion- it's definitely an amazing show. When you finish the series, don't forget to watch End of Evangelion- it will blow your mind the first time around, so I recommend atleast two viewings to get a decent understanding of what is going on.

I've never heard of Gensomaden Saiyuki- what is it about? I've seen some of Excel Saga, I liked it, but it got a bit too crazy for me at times. I like Rahxephon for the art (the animation is beautiful), but like many Eva fans, I feel like it copied too much from Evangelion. I did dress up as Quon Kisaragi at the last convention I attended, though (I would have dressed as Rei, but I look nothing at all like her, and more like Quon, who has a similiar personality).

I saw Akira quite awhile ago, I don't remember enough of it to really discuss it. I don't think I liked it too much, mainly because I don't like gore, and some of the scenes were a bit much for me. Have you seen "Revolutionary Girl Utena"? It seems like something you might like.

I've played DDR once or twice, but I have absolutely no eye-foot cooridination! I've seen some people play who are really quite amazing (one guy who can breakdance on it).

Jodi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2004, 10:10 pm

I've lost some interests in Anime. I found buying tapes and DVDs too expensive :P I still get it in the form of video games and Mangas and the occasional episode of Pokemon or Inuyasha. Im too cheap to buy movies Ive never seen, so I usaually borrow them.

kyoified
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2004, 11:40 am

Yeah, I had loads of fun there! It was really great to be with a whole bunch of people who actually love anime themselves...(Not like the poeple around where I live. I get, "Anime? Wtf?" or "And you like this why?" A LOT...perhaps a little too much) I dressed up as Sailor Uranus and my best friend, Vanessa, dressed up as Sailor Neptune, from the show Sailor Moon. (I was really into the Stars series...) I have seen Revolutionary Girl Utena a few times, and I'm thinking about getting some dvds of it. Another Anime of similarity to RGU, is Steel Angel Kurumi...but, it is a bit more childish... Saiyuki is about four guys that are making their way to India, from China, to stop the ressurection of the demon lord Gyumaoh. It's based on the Buddhist religion, and a VERY good show. I'm dressing up as Genjo Sanzo (The ill-behaved priest) from there. And Excel Saga does tend to get a little crazy!! I can barely understand what she is saying half of the time!! Did you ever see Martian Successor Nadesco? It is supposed to be very similar to Evangelion as well... Speaking of art, drawing is one of my favorite activities. I did love the art in Rahxephon and I actually had to see the movie twice, because I was just admiring the hard work and time that the artists put into the film when they made it. (I tend to get a little absorbed into things...) Speaking of people that are fast at DDr!! I saw one guy at the mall who was playing on heavy mode...I cannot believe people can actually move that fast!! oh, I have another question...Do you prefer your Anime Sub or dub, and why? This is a pretty heated debate amongst many many Otaku, so what do you think?

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2004, 7:54 am

Glad to hear you had such a good time a the convention.

Quote:
Did you ever see Martian Successor Nadesco? It is supposed to be very similar to Evangelion as well...

Nope, but I'd like to. I've heard good things- have you seen it?

Quote:
I did love the art in Rahxephon and I actually had to see the movie twice, because I was just admiring the hard work and time that the artists put into the film when they made it.

I haven't been able to see the Rahxephon movie- where do you get all of your anime from? It seems like you've seen quite a lot, and DVDs are rather expensive. Most of the anime I've seen has been downloaded or borrowed from friends, we trade CDs of downloaded material, though I don't really know where to download it from (mostly they do it).

I watch a lot of anime several times over, I think I do that more than I watch new series.

Quote:
Speaking of art, drawing is one of my favorite activities.

What type of things do you like to draw? I also love art, I'm currently going to school for it.

Quote:
Do you prefer your Anime Sub or dub, and why? This is a pretty heated debate amongst many many Otaku, so what do you think?

I prefer subtitled. It's usually closer to the original translation, and the voice-actors reflect the director's original vision of the series, rather than someone else's interpretation. Also, sometimes, the dubs sound absolutely awful. I really wonder where they find some of the voice actors for anime- they aren't nearly as bad in American cartoons.

I will watch dubbed if I don't have access to subtitled stuff, or if I want to watch some anime while I'm drawing or something, so I'm not completely against it, I just have a strong preference for the subtitled versions.

What's your opinion on this?

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2004, 4:22 pm

I like anime! I like subtitles because I know a little Japanese and like to try to follow along with the dialog, using subtitles to help me when I don't understand. Here are some of my favorites, and they are not usually the normal ones:

• Fruits Basket
  • Nausicaa
  • Full Metal Alchemist
  • Card Captor Sakura
  • Magic Users Club
  • Jubei-chan 2nd season
  • Excel Saga

kyoified
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2004, 9:36 pm

I like to draw anime//manga...but I could admire anything. Ummm, Nadesco is really good...I liked it a lot. If you have comcast digital cable...go to channel 001 and scroll down to the cateragory The Cutting Edge. Then you go to the Anime Network. There are different cateragories such as Drama, Action, Comedy, and such. It is really cool. You can watch Anime all the time, and they have many series to choose from. Every week, or every other week they switch the episodes to the series. I.E. They have Chobits ep. 12 and 13, Angelic Layer 15 and 16, Excel Saga ep.23, Goldenboy Ep.5 and 6, Saiyuki Ep.6 and 28....ect. Next week, or sometimes the following week, they will replace the episodes with higher ones. Chobits will be 13 and 14, Angelic Layer ep. 16 and 17. Excel Saga ep. 24.....ect. Sometimes they also have movies too. About the Sub//Dub thing, I like it better subtitled, but I still like it dubbed. At Tekkoshocon, I talked with some ADV Films Voice Actors of my favorite Char. from Saiyuki. It kinda made me embrace the dubbing a bit more since the V-Actors work hard to do the voices as well as they can. Although the Japanese version is Still Soooo much cooler, I still appreciate the English version, as they are getting more accurate in getting closer to the original Japanese Script....but thats just me! ( :) )

To Synx13: How is Full Metal Alchemist? I've never seen it, but I've heard very very good things!!

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2004, 1:44 am

I'm no anime maven but I appreciate the art form, in part because my brother happens to be an anime artist. If you're curious, his site is:

http://www.xynthica.com

Zany, very eccentric tales of a girl named Xyni who has some odd preoccupations! Also features a lot of my bro's cultural commentary on social issues involving... anime. :)