Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 2:28 pm

This isn't aspie-related. Just a 'getting to know you' thing, I thought it might be interesting. Anyone have any severe (potentially life threatening) allergies? For me it's latex and the reaction is that I have trouble breathing. I haven't had an anaphylactic reaction yet but I do have an EpiPen just in case - they say this is one of those allergies where your reaction gets worse every time you're exposed to it. Doctor/dentist offices and hospitals can be a little scary because it seems like everything they use has latex in it. I have to question everything because even though doctors know they're supposed to use latex-free stuff they always tend to forget. One of the biggest problems for me though is balloons. They have powder inside them that absorbs the latex particles, and when the balloon is blown up that powder goes into the air and you breathe it in.

medianmistermustard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jan 2006, 2:37 pm

Dust, pollen, dogs, cats, smoke, shellfish, peaches, avocado, tangerines, certain uncooked fruits and vegetables. Never had to use my epipen though (knocks on wood) and I don't have to take the other drugs in the winter cause I live in the midwest. The allergist was actually pretty surprised when he saw my skin test.

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2006, 6:26 pm

My daughter is allergic to peanuts (anaphyllactic), so we also have an epipen. She had an anaphyllactic allergy to milk for a while, but on the advice of her allergist we cut out corn and she can have milk now :D but :?

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2006, 6:28 pm

computer freaked out and double posted

Last edited by 06xrs on 16 Jan 2006, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 7:22 pm

Cutting out corn allows her to have milk? How does that work?

parts
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 9:58 pm

No realy servere like life threating but nutrasweet gives me servere migranes out about 6 hours and you have to be careful its in so much stuff.

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2006, 11:37 pm

neongrl wrote:
Cutting out corn allows her to have milk? How does that work?

I have no idea. The allergist says the corn thing is similar to celiac disease, only with corn instead of wheat. They did a blood-draw allergy test on her and she came back allergic to corn, milk, peanuts, dust mites and mold. All of them were high levels, but corn and milk were higher than peanuts and she had had her most severe reaction after eating peanuts from the shell. Anyway, the doc said try cutting out all corn and corn products (as well as peanuts, you just don't play with that one), and now she can have milk. Also her behaviour is greatly improved. Actually, yesterday at church she ate some "Goldfish" that contained dextrose. An hour or so later, she had a huge meltdown. The first one in weeks.

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2008, 11:22 am

Not trying to revive a dead post, just updating for posterity in case someone comes across this in another search.

Since the last post my daughter, as well as my wife and I, have all been diagnosed with celiac disease and all of the bizarre allergic reactions have cleared up. Or at least they are clear as long as we can keep away from hidden gluten. Each time we have had any sort of reaction, we have been able to trace it to undeclared gluten or cross-contamination. My daughter's behavior goes downhill rapidly when she gets glutened, where my wife and I have reactions of a more "digestive" sort.

Anyway, since cutting out gluten she can have all of the other stuff. It turns out that gluten is added to many things (including milk!) and that is where the confusion can come in.

d0ds0t
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2008, 3:43 pm

Grass, trees, potato, apple, banana, mango, peach, kiwi, paprika..

And I'm having a really hard time breathing if someone is smoking. Plus multiple sneezing when dusting and vacuuming.

But I don't think I will die if I'm exposed to these things.. :tongue:

marieclaire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2008, 9:55 pm

I used to have so many allergies I thought I was going to die.
I (more or less) treated myself for coeliacs, and after many years I lost most of my allergies.
Wheat and milk are still a problem.

ironangel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2008, 5:09 pm

for me just

smoke and dust 8)

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 1:28 am

Badly allergic to penicillin, latex does make me breakout and itch after prolonged skin contact. Most of my other allergy symptoms disappeared when I moved out of a household full of cats. I love cats but I can't have any of my own in my own place. :cry:

On penicillin I can't even take the synthetic version, a little under 2 years ago I got a really bad sinus infection that spread to my ears and the doctor put me on some kind of antibiotic that is supposed to be safe to most people with penicillin allergies (either that or that doctor sucked)and it made me extremely sick, probably as bad as I felt from the sinus infection. I had to use a much less effective alternative that took way to long to work, but it did work.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 5:34 am

Hi speaking from experiance both family ( my sister could die from eating any kind of nut) and from from my unfinished training as a Naturopath, you have a true allergy. The term allergy as is is used in general conversation refers to an intolerance which can have several causes and can in many cases be overcome. Yours however sounds like the real deal, and you will have to avoid latex. Dont take my word for it or anyone else unless they really know what they are talking about, get some advice, preferably from someone who is dual modality, Ie alternative and traditional medicine combined.

Good Luck

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

michel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 1:06 pm

I'm severely allergic to George Bush.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 6:53 pm

michel wrote:

:D the whole world is severly allergic to GWB

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 6:53 pm

michel wrote:

:D the whole world is severly allergic to GWB