Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nightwing82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2024, 1:13 pm

Hi,

I was diagnosed at 40. Struggling financially. Getting burnt out by my job. Don't even know why I keep trying anymore...

Don't know why it says female, but I guess I'll just go with that.

PineappleLobster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 1:36 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. This is a safe space :) I like to go to WP when i get burnt out. Everyone is quite cool.

Also, do you read Wings of Fire?

My pronouns are they/them and he/him

~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 1:43 pm

welcome, late diagnosis can be healing, but it first comes as a shock to many of us. Everything we thought we knew and understood looks different once we see how autism had its works in the scenes and nobody knew! Take your time, do your best self care , give yourself credit for being a survivor. Little by little you will get it all sorted and for me, the peace I got and the relief, are finally showing up in my daily life as I make self accommodations to help me live life and make things easier every day. Glad you found us. You are among others who will understand.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Nightwing82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2024, 2:17 pm

PineappleLobster wrote:

No.

PineappleLobster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 2:20 pm

Nightwing82 wrote:
PineappleLobster wrote:

No.

Gotcha. “Nightwing” is a type of dragon in that book series, that’s why i wondered

My pronouns are they/them and he/him

~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 2:39 pm

Nightwing82 wrote:
I was diagnosed at 40.
Your age is not currently displayed. Was your diagnosis recent, or decades ago?

Nightwing82 wrote:
Getting burnt out by my job. Don't even know why I keep trying anymore...
I suspect I know why you keep trying...you're being a responsible adult and figure you should pay your bills. Which is true.

I got incredibly tired of things at times. Some of those times seemed years long. I persisted so I could pay my bills.

I may have done the minimum day-to-day stuff while not at work...buying the essentials and not socializing much...but an income can be handy. Sometimes disrupting your routine (in a controlled manner) can help; a little bit of difference might make a little bit of difference in how you feel.

But, try to persist. Retirement is really nice!

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2024, 3:32 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I hope things get better for you and that visiting this site helps you.

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2024, 5:52 pm

Nightwing82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2024, 8:31 pm

PineappleLobster wrote:
Gotcha. “Nightwing” is a type of dragon in that book series, that’s why i wondered

I was thinking more along the lines of DC Comics.

Double Retired wrote:
Your age is not currently displayed. Was your diagnosis recent, or decades ago?

A few years ago.

Double Retired wrote:

Not an option for me.

Nightwing82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2024, 7:28 am

Double Retired wrote:

Not a possibility for me. I'm over 40 with no career, no savings, no assets of any kind, and no prospects.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 9:37 am

Nightwing82 wrote:
Not a possibility for me. I'm over 40 with no career, no savings, no assets of any kind, and no prospects.

That is not a good position to be in. Do you have any close friends, really close friends.

Nightwing82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2024, 11:40 am

jimmy m wrote:
Nightwing82 wrote:

That is not a good position to be in. Do you have any close friends, really close friends.

One or two. But they're in position to help.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 7:50 am

You wrote earlier that you were getting burned out by your job. What did you do for work? Are you still working? How long ago did you stop working?

I know, too many questions, but I am trying to help.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2024, 8:27 am

I decided to dig a little deeper and see if I could provide any help.

You listed your occupation as a Teacher. Your interest are:
comics, toys, education, photography, travel

In one thread, you wrote:

My roommate was recently offered a job in fort Collins, CO. She offered for me to move with her. I'd like to go, but I need to find a job immediately.

Problem is, I've always struggled to find employment to the point that I'm traumatized by the thought of looking for a new job. I currently work as a teacher, but this past school year has burnt me out so badly I can't do it again. So I don't know what to do.

According to the Internet: Fort Collins, Colorado is a mid sized city with a population of 169,810 at the 2020 census. It is home to Colorado State University and Front Range Community College's. Fort Collins is situated at the base of the Rocky Mountain foothills of the northern Front Range, approximately 60 miles from Denver, Colorado, and 45 miles from Cheyenne, Wyoming.

So it sounds like a nice place to live. Many people who are different find it easier to live in smaller communities. The Oklahoma City metropolitan area had a population of 1,396,445.

The school year is coming to an end very soon. This might be a good time for a career change and a new small town location may offer some advantages.

Then you wrote, Rent prices in Oklahoma are rising and I won't be able to afford rent here either without a roommate. So I'm screwed either way.

Many times the cost of living is much less in rural areas. I do not know the prices of Oklahoma City as compared to Fort Collins, but it would be something to explore.

Nightwing82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2024, 10:54 am

I am still working as a special education teacher. I can't handle teenagers. That, combined with the piling of responsibilities are what is causing the burnout. In addition to teaching math, I am required to also be a case manager. And because this is my first year and I am still being trained, I was given a a reduced caseload compared to the rest of the special education teachers. If I'm getting burned out on a reduced caseload, how am supposed to keep up with a full caseload next year? My peers are frequently stressed out by deadline crunches and frustrating bureaucracy. I am chronically burned out. When I am not working, I am spending all my free time laying in bed because of how fatigued I am.

And I cannot afford to to stop working, because I have no family support or savings.

Fort Collins has been a popular and growing area since the early 2000s. It is not some tiny mountain town. The average rent is over $2K. The rent for my current home is $1,000 which I split with my roommate.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 6:02 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)