Page 9 of 23 [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next

Sabu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2011, 3:39 pm

Dhawal wrote:
metaphysics wrote:
P.S. Where is Sabu??

Update - I pm'ed him about a month ago, but he hasn't replied yet. I hope he is ok.
He's the one responsible for this thread, and bringing us all together :(.

Sorry to all for not checking on this thread. It had become more of a battleground 8O than a meeting place and I inadvertently disabled all automated notifications from this site.

I never thought people still remember me here. Nice to read :D.

I don't get enough time these days. But I am back. To let you know I am fine and relocated from Bangalore to Delhi and I have had an addition to my family, a sweet little niece, I have become a chacha :)

Thanks Dhawal for your PM

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 7:42 am

Sabu wrote:
Sorry to all for not checking on this thread. It had become more of a battleground 8O than a meeting place and I inadvertently disabled all automated notifications from this site.

I never thought people still remember me here. Nice to read :D.

I don't get enough time these days. But I am back. To let you know I am fine and relocated from Bangalore to Delhi and I have had an addition to my family, a sweet little niece, I have become a chacha :)

Thanks Dhawal for your PM

Awww... we love you man, you brought us all together.

And congrats on becoming a chacha! It's nice to hear that you've moved back to Delhi.

How do NTs do that?

aspburgers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2011, 8:09 am

lool

CambridgeMAsspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2011, 7:51 pm

Hi everyone. I am not really Indian, though I have a lot of Indian friends who say I count as half-Indian (only half because I hate hot weather, and always insist on being on-time for everything).

Anyway, I have very close friends, who I consider family, who are originally from Mumbai. So, even as a pasty-white North American, I feel like I am part of the Indian community.

Anyway, l just wanted to say hi.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 1:02 am

CambridgeMAsspie wrote:
Hi everyone. I am not really Indian, though I have a lot of Indian friends who say I count as half-Indian (only half because I hate hot weather, and always insist on being on-time for everything).

Anyway, I have very close friends, who I consider family, who are originally from Mumbai. So, even as a pasty-white North American, I feel like I am part of the Indian community.

Anyway, l just wanted to say hi.

Hi CambridgeMAsspie. Nice of you to drop in :).

BTW the facebook link in your profile has two http's so it's not working.

How do NTs do that?

CambridgeMAsspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2011, 8:39 am

Thanks, Dhawal.

I will fix that.

luckynishantji
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Nov 2011, 10:35 am

nishant1911 wrote:
hi ,just posting to let you know i exist
Nishant u have all the answers o genius

lonerespite
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Dec 2011, 1:17 pm

since this thread is about aspies in India i was wondering, what do people think about the scenario in which a kid might find certain situations, or routines, or places, or experiences very disturbing, but growing up with parents who dont understand but also more importantly dont shun from beating the kid into accepting to conform since the parents believe they are helping their child out. need to clarify, beating does not have to be as abusive as the word reads, but rather functions as a strong form of coercion which is in a lot of places culturally accepted as standard practice of parenthood.
so my main point is does the kid then after a point if he/she is an aspie stop expressing his/her discomfort and silently deal with all the problems by himself/herself?
im asking this cause when a child with asperger's is portrayed he/she is shown to be quite demanding, but in a culture where this is not tolerated does this aspect of the person then become more of an internal issue and kind of disappears. in other words a kid in such a culture will he/she after a point stop expressing all the discomforts experienced and trie to resolve them internally, or does he/she keep expressing them and getting into more problems? basically will it be persistent or not?
im guessing there will be differences in personality to account for.. so is aspergers expressed differently over cultures?

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 2:37 am

lonerespite wrote:
since this thread is about aspies in India i was wondering, what do people think about the scenario in which a kid might find certain situations, or routines, or places, or experiences very disturbing, but growing up with parents who dont understand but also more importantly dont shun from beating the kid into accepting to conform since the parents believe they are helping their child out. need to clarify, beating does not have to be as abusive as the word reads, but rather functions as a strong form of coercion which is in a lot of places culturally accepted as standard practice of parenthood.
so my main point is does the kid then after a point if he/she is an aspie stop expressing his/her discomfort and silently deal with all the problems by himself/herself?
im asking this cause when a child with asperger's is portrayed he/she is shown to be quite demanding, but in a culture where this is not tolerated does this aspect of the person then become more of an internal issue and kind of disappears. in other words a kid in such a culture will he/she after a point stop expressing all the discomforts experienced and trie to resolve them internally, or does he/she keep expressing them and getting into more problems? basically will it be persistent or not?
im guessing there will be differences in personality to account for.. so is aspergers expressed differently over cultures?

Ha! with me it was an eternal conflict between 'trie to resolve them internally' and 'keep expressing them and getting into more problems'. This conflict only ended when I found out about aspergers at the age of 28. But yes, it became very internal, and remained internal for the very long time. The only 'expressing' was occasional random outbursts that even I didn't understand. Although this is an oversimplification of the complex conflict that kept going on for years.

I hope to see other answers to this question too.

P.S. I'm not so forgiving towards my parents.

How do NTs do that?

MissWiggy
Raven
Raven

01 Jan 2012, 9:02 pm

Great to see the activity on this thread has picked up again :D

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 11:27 pm

Autism awareness is slowly increasing in India, there will be more and more people joining this thread. The only thing is that most of them decide not to keep up with it.

How do NTs do that?

Sabu

02 Jan 2012, 11:25 am

lonerespite wrote:

Hello lonerespite,

This is what one of the many problems we face. Elders don't understand and keep on pushing the kid. I have experienced it myself, I have been called lazy, ignorant even plain stupid by some. What is our mistake? maybe we were born with something we can't control. If we can;t make sense of the world initially we are called crazy.

As per me it is persistent but overtime you get to know what makes you go in the "crazy mode" and you try to avoid it diligently. This is my personal opinion, others may differ. But it does take its toll.

Lately heard a sad news, one of my friends, whom I couldn't understand was an Aspie or not bcoz I was not myself aware at that time about Aspergers but he was a bit like me. He committed suicide, no one knows why but I heard due to some family issues. Now this is a bad example of what you stated above.

Only one thing came to my mind with a sad heart.

When Heart breaks, eyes cry.
When spirit breaks, a man dies. :cry:

MissWiggy
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2012, 1:52 pm

Dhawal wrote:
Autism awareness is slowly increasing in India, there will be more and more people joining this thread. The only thing is that most of them decide not to keep up with it.

I guess people forget since they are busy with their daily lives... I had completely forgotten about this thread too and usually post on other sections or forums.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 9:55 pm

Sabu wrote:
Lately heard a sad news, one of my friends, whom I couldn't understand was an Aspie or not bcoz I was not myself aware at that time about Aspergers but he was a bit like me. He committed suicide, no one knows why but I heard due to some family issues. Now this is a bad example of what you stated above.

Only one thing came to my mind with a sad heart.

When Heart breaks, eyes cry.
When spirit breaks, a man dies. :cry:

Hi Sabu,
I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. You said this happened lately, was it before or after you found out about aspergers?

And you're absolutely right about the spirit. It should be a crime to break a person's spirit. :angry:

How do NTs do that?

Lady-ivy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 7:08 pm

Hi am not from India. While my grandpa is from is from India. He grow up in Guyana and so did the rest of my relative who alot them are Indian or mixes like me. Guyana has a huge population of Indians there. I am about 35% Indian. 50% black and 15% white. I would love to meet others here who share a Indian heritage.

I am autism advocate, a full time college student with a major in environmental science/ ecology.

My interest is wildlife, botany, nature, movies, autism, books, mircobiology and health. Video games, cultures,biology, running,

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 4:54 am

Lady-ivy, welcome to the India thread ! !

Nice to have an autism advocate among us.
Actually I should have guessed from the scarf :)

How do NTs do that?