The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 6 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 1006  Next

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:58 pm

The Name Game - that's it - it is an old song. I went to school with a girl named Judy and Bo Boody drove her crazy. All the guys teased her with it.

Maybe the Rhesus monkeys were really Bonobos and had a use for that wiper!

Bonobo Bonobo Bo Onobo
Banana Fanna Fo Fonobo
Fe Fi Mo Monobo
Bonobo!

he name game!

Shirley!
Shirley, Shirley bo Birley Bonana fanna fo Firley
Fee fy mo Mirley, Shirley!

Lincoln!
Lincoln, Lincoln bo Bincoln Bonana fanna fo Fincoln
Fee fy mo Mincoln, Lincoln!

Come on everybody!
I say now let's play a game
I betcha I can make a rhyme out of anybody's name
The first letter of the name, I treat it like it wasn't there
But a B or an F or an M will appear
And then I say bo add a B then I say the name and Bonana fanna and a
fo
And then I say the name again with an F very plain
and a fee fy and a mo
And then I say the name again with an M this time
and there isn't any name that I can't rhyme

Arnold!
Arnold, Arnold bo Barnold Bonana fanna fo Farnold
Fee fy mo Marnold Arnold!

But if the first two letters are ever the same,
I drop them both and say the name like
Bob, Bob drop the B's Bo ob
For Fred, Fred drop the F's Fo red
For Mary, Mary drop the M's Mo ary
That's the only rule that is contrary.

Okay? Now say Bo: Bo
Now Tony with a B: Bony
Then Bonana fanna fo: bonana fanna fo
Then you say the name again with an F very plain: Fony
Then a fee fy and a mo: fee fy mo
Then you say the name again with an M this time: Mony
And there isn't any name that you can't rhyme

Every body do Tony!
Pretty good, let's do Billy!
Very good, let's do Marsha!
A little trick with Nick!
The name game

Everyone liked to do names like Chuck and Rich. :lol:

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 7:34 am

i'm feeling a little sad about the café being split in two, it confuses me
i liked it when everyone was in the same place

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 8:05 am

lemon wrote:

Lemon, I'm feeling sad too, but even sadder at being so clueless as to why it happened. I feel like I never know what's going on. When I don't have an explanation for something my mind invents scenarios that don't really exist.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:12 am

well, maybe it's better to be two of us, than one,
i always have visual images of what happens,
like i'm wandering around, somewhere in between the two cafés,
for some reason in my mind they are close by the sea,
and there i see you arrive coming from the opposite direction,
we're not saying much,
but take a rest sitting on a bench silently wondering what happened.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 8:15 am

And then I say something stupid like "Is that a lightbulb you're wearing on your head? Absolutely brilliant, darling.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:19 am

yeah, i'm connected :wink:

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 8:28 am

You would make a cool lamp. I'm serious. A scupture of your painting, wired to give off light, who wouldn't want something like that on their table. Most lamps are boring and not very unique. What media do you work in? Do you do scupting?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:30 am

lemon wrote:

Well said, lemon, and it gives me an idea. (Which you can skip to the bottom for, if you like.)

==============

Think of the cafe as having started out as a small shack, growing to a big room, with a couple of lean-to bits, then becoming so popular that it not only had a queue of people who were waiting to get in the door, but even more who just looked at that queue, and gave up straight away.

Even for those inside the cafe, it was becoming almost impossible to hear what people were saying across the heads of the throng.

What could have happened would have been a move into larger premises, with multiple rooms. The whole place still called the same, with the same overall "feel" and all "in one place". Just lots of extra rooms to "play" in - or even "be serious" in, from time to time.

What actually happened was that someone built a mall down the road, bought up the cafe and moved it there. The rules in the mall are pretty strict and the security staff make sure everyone is aware of them. Things like "no nudity", "no silly banners outside the door", "the cafe must supply children with high chairs", "no alcohol". (Am I prejudiced? I think so.)

The mall is actually rather successful. I counted it up last night. In four days, it had managed to add 1,000 posts, which the cafe thread took the previous eight days to do. I can't comment on the "quality" of the posts, as I've only done a quick bit of "window shopping" in there. I just don't much like malls.

Anyway, I thought it was a pity that we seemed to have lost the function of the cafe that I thought it did so well - that of welcoming newcomers to WP with a showcase of the generally "late diagnosed", been-there-done-that, lunatics. I think we put a lot of people "at ease" and got them talking, when they might have just found the whole of WP too daunting. Quick re-take there. It did that for me. On thinking about it, without the cafe, I might have just drifted away from WP.

I decided to be a rebel. The "real" cafe may have been relocated, but I've opened this "fake" café on the old site (100 posts in three days? (Not all by me :) ) Not all that unpopular.). I'm certain that I can't duplicate the... (rats, I can't think of the word I want...) milieu, feel, aroma, patina.

Just in case I haven't said this before, YowlingCat is brilliant.
Just in case I haven't said this before, YowlingCat is wonderful.
Just in case I haven't said this before, YowlingCat is <insert complimentary adjective here>.
(and will she ever forgive me for violating the copyright on the name of her cafe?)

================

So. You got here (or skipped, I don't mind).

The idea is - can't we turn the cafe into a set of concessions? One in each forum, where appropriate. Maybe it doesn't really belong in one forum at all. Here is a place for trapping the unwary newcomers in a moderately light-hearted way. The "In-depth..." can handle people who want that sort of thing. A branch under "Random Discussion" might be more appropriate for partying. For those of us with problems/answers about the old beat-up computers we're accessing WP with, a cafe thread under the "Computers,..." forum might work (the forum description says it all).

Walking frames and colostomy bags at the ready (the auxiliary troops should ready their dummies and diapers - we need them too) - lets take over ALL the forums

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 8:48 am

Thank you for the very enlightening explanation, Lau.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:54 am

Hi CC. I'm now wondering if I should post a link to my message above in the original and annex threads?

Cross-posting is not encouraged... but a link should be acceptable. Maybe, in true Aspie indecisive fashion, I'll leave it to someone who is posting over there to decide.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 9:08 am

Lemon,
All kidding aside, you are a brilliant woman. I just checked out your website. I'm blown away by your talent. Your use of color, how exciting. And your video, even though there is a language barrier for me, is exquisite. A possession theme. The music you have set it to is perfect at getting across what I might have lost in dialogue. Bravo, woman! Barrista, Lemoncellos for the house, please.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:11 am

On a tour of one-night stands,
My suitcase and guitar in hand...

Nope. Not that...

On a tour of spelling splelt,
My spellchack and Wikipedia in hand...

I found...

============================

We must polish the Polish furniture.
He could lead if he would get the lead out.
The farm was used to produce produce.
The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
The soldier decided to desert in the desert.
This was a good time to present the present. (And this last could mean "gift" or "era of time ")
A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
I did not object to the object.
The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
The bandage was wound around the wound.
There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
They were too close to the door to close it.
The buck does funny things when the does are present.
They sent a sewer down to stitch the tear in the sewer line.
To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
After a number of injections my jaw got number.
Upon seeing the tear in my clothes I shed a tear.
I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

==========================

I'd add a little story... Just to the west of London, a few miles further out than where I used to live, there's a place called Slough. It gets some uncomplimentary thing said about it.

A snake might shed its skin in a bog just west of London.

or

A snake might slough (or sluff, same or different pronunciation) its skin in a slough in Slough.

=========================

Some English place name sillinesses...
Torpenhow <- Hill hill hill.
Lake Windermere <- Lake lake lake.
Riverhead <- Rither ed = Foot (ed) of the hill (rither).

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 12:42 pm

Hi everyone! Lemon - always so good to see you! I posted a reply to CosmicCat's questions concerning her husband's high blood pressure meds and problems - in the new forum under the thread "Fountain of Youth" (as it needed an in-depth answer). Sorry I missed your questions yesterday - I left for work without checking in.
Can't stay here long today either - gotta get a quick nap in and head back to work. Take care all! I'll post more Wednesday, after some sleep.

Lau Lau Bo Bo Bau
I gotta gotta go now....

:)

Chuck

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 12:53 pm

Arrivederci, Chucki.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:20 pm

Hi Cosmiccat,

I have wandered Lemon's site more than a few times. First view is how it relates to me, later visits how Lemon relates to Lemon.

Being one of the beat-up computer types Lau mentions, but self inflicted, I refuse to own speakers, and video is distracting, moving things and flickering lights. I only watched the stills.

I think most paint themselves into a corner, but being aspie, Lemon started in the corner, and is spreading out. From a soft and squishy abstract center, crispy flakes of realism develop on the outer surface.

I have been walking by the sea, it has unity of self, and it gives me something to do during the day when the stars are hidden. I hear voices from a bench, for my ears are sharp for the song of birds, and sounds of life. I seek reality through seeing, hearing, and silent reflection.

I find unity in Lemon's work, it expands and changes. Conformity would be one painting with variations in a narrow range. The first time the cafe was targeted I was invited to another place, there was much discussion of pierced nipples, I looked and left. I am a very visual thinker, and some images I do not want in my mind.

My consumer demographic is, looks at sea, stars, listens to birds. I lurked the cafe, for I do find things worthy of notice, Comisccat's poem, Lemon's painting, Lauism, PostPaleo's, You only thought life was strange, wait till I explain it!

I have looked at the new forum, it does meet needs other than my own. I follow my stars, and when I do cross paths with others it is real. I never go to the mall, I like it, it keeps everything I avoid in one place, now that is convience.

I do seek the campfires of wanders in the wastelands, non-commercial life. It is where all new thought comes from. We do need more range. Talk of art in one place should move, for the comformists hear it and think how the arts could become a shop in their mall, selling T shirts with pierced nipples.

I liked Lemon's how to paint in the Arts section. It was a bit advanced for most. No one just jumps in, many would like to start. I post in the same forum about how to write. Writers, poets, painters, have long gathered in cafes. As a group they learn from each other and teach by existing.

Lau,

I like your computer idea. FAQ's in wrongplanet.net discussion is good. In computers I find two groups, nerds who know everything and can explain nothing, and people with computer problems they can not put in words. I have worked with the second group for a long time, they never got any better.

As a first customer, Graelwyn, her laptop is refusing to link to the web. All I gathered is it has four USB ports, and only one of them will link sometimes. My first thought would be a BIOS update, but I think that word would have no meaning to her. At least not the correct one. Graelwyn has a problem with logical rational people, her opposite personality type, the ones who fix computers. She is litterly beating herself up and having emotional meltdowns over it.

It will take special skill to deal with her and her computer. Being second group she does not mention make and model, or I would have the specs and be figuring it out. I do not think I am the person to do it. I am cold and heartless. I would bluntly tell someone that their hard drive is dead, all of their history and data is lost, and they must start over with a new hard drive. I fail in emotional relationships.

The old Cafe did cover many things, and could not do all well. Thoughts from minds were overwhelmed by posts of cut and paste. Subjects were scattered, and it was an enjoyable mix.

A Computer Cafe, an Arts Cafe, a Machine Cafe, a Music Cafe, Business Cafe, would meet more needs without needing new forums, or central control. Threads come and go, their interest narrow, and shallow. There is a need for gathering and depth in many places, including the random. Each will become a longer term group with some long term function.

This Cafe is great for meeting new people, joining them to the community, learning about them, and telling them what else is going on they might like. Many good people have come through, and not finding a place, and like minds, have viewed a few teen threads and left. They could have all added something of value if properly met. The old Cafe, and this Old Cafe, are not about drugs and Dxs, for many have just discovered they are not alone, but about people with something in common, being people. There is no one size fits all in humans, and more so with us.

I second Lau's motion.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 2:41 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

postpaleo wrote:
...Take your shows (lol, a little slip there ment shoes, but that word fits as well) off and rest a spell.

Lau wrote in a comment:
Even in full mistype mode, postpaleo can come up with perfect thoughts.
Yes... Wrong Planet is a place where you can certainly take your shows off. I certainly have, since a came here.

So what if "it's permanent" - so, I hope, is "having a brain".

Welcome home, cowlypso.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not good at moving some things a round in here, yet. Oh I move a few things, but mostly just me. The reason I moved those comments to a new member of WP, is for a word of warning about me and perfect thoughts.

Pay attention kiddies, this is important. :wink:

You'll never hear a perfect thought out of me. If you ever think you did. You better kiss your ass good-bye. I just happened to notice the nuclear tipped missle coming in before you did.

I did get a chuckle out of how that came out though, in the comment. Man, if I can't laugh at myself, I'm in deep s**t. I think that might be missle avoidance at work.

Great sig Lau.