Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bixie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2010, 5:56 am

I prefer to be called "autistic spazz". :P

Seriously though, does it matter? Any word can be used offensively once put into the proper context. If you get annoyed over being called "aspie", then lighten up.

TheEntertainer26
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Jan 2010, 9:24 am

I quite like the sound of Aspie personally. Plus, only people with AS tend to use it, so I don't think it is very offensive.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 10:20 am

VincentVanJones wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Did anyone actually call her an Aspie? or is she just being proactive?

Unsure... but this was an intro thread without an into, I had thought the issue must be in another thread.

no, the issue is not in another thread. Being a moderator posting in the thread, I keep up with those things. If anyone was attacking our new member, they would have been summarily dealt with. And the new member would have been instructed on how to contact a moderator if they felt another member was making them uncomfortable.

Merle

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 12:35 pm

lostonearth35

First of all I would like to say Welcome to Wrong Planet to You!
All the rest have missed to welcome you here as they was so focused on your first words here.

If I shall give my words about the issue, I see it as you said your "statement" as a precaution for yourself. As you want to prevent yourself from beeing offended as you feel it. I have noticed that most people here on WP dont mind the expression of "aspie" but there is a few who do and then we respect this. At least I really try my best to not use the expression when talking to someone who dont like it.

But I think its good you explained and said how you relate to it. The others just says how they relate to both your text and their interpretion of the nickname.

Hopefully you can learn something out of this. That we all have diffrent views and opinions about Aspergers Syndrome which also gather us together. Thats whats interesting with this forum and I hope you both feel welcomed and that WP can give You something :)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2010, 2:07 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I find the word "aspie" rather offensive. :x It's like calling someone with schizophrenia a "schizo", which fills people's minds with all kinds of ridiculous myths and stereotypes. I know the phrase Asperger's Syndrome is long to type, so I normally just type Asperger's or AS. :)

I do not find the term "Aspie" offensive, in fact I am a member of another forum that calls itself
"Aspies For Freedom". This is a term that we apply to ourselves.