Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ronanconway
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2010, 8:14 pm

I discovered this site through the NT and AS communication thread in the general autism discussion - I thought it was an absolutely fascinating window into the interactions between NTs and those with autism, and from a sociological standpoint, almost invaluable. I've come into contact with those with autism over the years, on a very wide spectrum - from my high school girlfriend's brother who was seriously autistic and nonverbal, to more high-functioning people I met in college - and for a time in middle school I convinced myself I was autistic. I just think it's fascinating how a community has formed around this condition, and I joined on a whim after reading through the NT vs AS thread, and wanting to contribute.

I'm a straight cisgender man, I'm 20 years old, and neurotypical. Psychologists have said I have elements of aspergers and ADHD but neither is serious enough to affect the way I live my life, so I'm undiagnosed. I was born in north jersey right outside new york city, but now relocated to the district of columbia. I'm a writer and musician and I love psychology, geography, criminology, philosophy, feminism, hip hop, sex and sexuality, and music as a lifestyle. I'm 100% Irish and my family is very active in Irish culture in New York City. I'm opposed to repressive norms of gender and sexuality, and I'm against violence and oppression in all its intersections. It's difficult to sum up my entire life in a few posts on the internet, so I'll leave it at that.

I want to help bridge the obvious and sometimes awkward gap between those with autism and NTs. I'm extremely tolerant and open, but my understanding of the issues around autism isn't complete, so if I ever offend anyone, it's inadvertent and with no malice in my heart.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 8:16 pm

Welcome to WP!

I see you like geography. I majored in geography, and now have a bachelor's degree in it, and may pursue grad studies.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ronanconway
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2010, 8:24 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

I see you like geography. I majored in geography, and now have a bachelor's degree in it, and may pursue grad studies.

Thank you!

Geography is one of my passions that has never faded. Where did you major? I almost chose Clark University because of its program, but decided to go the politics/justice route instead. What aspects of geography are you primarily interested in? I was curious about how following through with the geography major program would have turned out.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 8:47 pm

hey man, welcome! :sunny:

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 9:24 pm

Nice to meet you, ronanconway - and welcome to the Wrong Planet community.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 9:43 pm

Welcome ronanconway :flower:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 11:36 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet, and welcome to my time warp. :)

I'm Shelby, and I like the 60s.

ItsStillOk
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jun 2010, 6:08 am

Welcome, Im also NT.

Ive also found this site to be quite invaluable!

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2010, 6:20 am

Welcome!

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:07 pm

Hello ronanconway, welcome, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Mosaicofminds
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 11:43 pm

Hi, welcome! :)

I see you're interested in psychology. Me too! I'm a student now, but I'm preparing to research how brain development affects psychology. I have lots of questions related to how cognitive strengths and weaknesses develop (and which comes first). For example, did Einstein have his amazing visual-spatial abilities (and a particularly well-developed brain area for them) to compensate for learning to speak late, or did he learn to speak late because his brain was taken over by his strengths? What questions interest you?