Do I seem like I may be a person with aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm

First off let me apologize because this will bowmen quite a lengthy post. And I would also like to say hello. I am new to this group. I am a female, age 30 from NH. I have always been quite "different" in a few ways. I do strongly believe I have aspergers and do plan on visiting a psychologist for an evaluation. Life is very difficult for me so I am hoping to gain some insight and coping skills from a professional. Let me start from the beginning, my birth. I was born prematurely ( 8 wks - c section baby) My mother was ill at the time. My birth did affect me. I lacked motor skills and had quite a learning disability. It was hard for me to catch onto things unless it was something like art or music, the only 2 things that interested me as a child. I had strange social skills then. I often talked a lot and didn't really pay attention to what others had to say. I also had an idiosyncratic way if speaking and was in speech therapy until the age of 10. When I was 5 years of age I had tests because I ended up failing kindergarten. They thought I may have had a learning disability. They strongly believed that I was autistic and even social workers in the hospital after I was born suspected that. But this was in 1986 when the spectrum was not so recognized. I also rocked myself as a child,even in the crib. I became obsessed with music and always had a 4adio from the age of 5. I would lock myself away in a room and rock back and forth in an Indian style position to the music. I still do and I also rock in any chair I am sitting in without realizing it. I also bite my cuticles and pace. All I have done since childhood. I was obsessed with art and would often cry if I was pulled away from it. Same thing with my music. Now I get so wrapped up in my music that I don't do things I am supposed to, like eat, shower at a reasonable hour and sometimes for days. I.am addicted to graphic arts and do that obsessively to the point of ignoring other aspects of my life. I have a deep thing for detail in a photo. I often talk to people about my obsessions even if they tell me "enough". I have a hard time seeing that someone wants me to stop

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 12:16 am

Sorry my phone acts weird if I type a message in a forum. So anyway I also repeat myself a lot and am usually the last to understand the meaning if a joke unless its explained. I also have a hard time believing things that I cannot see. Like God, heaven and hell. When I was 8 my grandma explained death to me and I asked her what happens when you die. She said that your heart stops beating and you enter heaven with jesus. I asked her " how do you know there's a God" she said its just something you believe. Well I struggled with this because she could not give me evidence of such a place as heaven and of god. I threw a fit and cried and screamed for a long time. She had to call my mother. I am also and always have been highly sensitive to pain and illness. It causes me great anxiety and I always seem to feel pain in ways others do not. When I was 14 I was hospitalized for lower left abdominal pain. They couldn't find its source so they had me speak with a child psychologist who labeled me schizophrenic. But I have been getting my period since I was 10 and do remember having it at some point either in the hospital or when my mom got me home. I have never really hallucinates about things except when I was 5. I believe I was remembering the beat to a song so strongly that it seemed real. I asked my teacher if she could hea4 it. She said no of course but perhaps it was my sensitivity to sound? When I was 8 I watched unsolved mysteries with my grandma and I saw a man with

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 12:35 am

With tools working on the stairs but when I went to bed I could have sworn I saw him and it was perhaps a light sensitivity or a photographic memory thing. It was in perfect detail. I explained this to my grandma and she seemed surprised that I could remember such detail. I was 8 at that time and nothing like that has happened since. Although I can rememb3r things I am interested in in perfect detail whether it be music r art or even a subject I am interested in. I took dance when I was 12 and was clumsy and not that great but I had an almost encyclopedic knowledge of dance history. My latest subject to study and research was beethoven. At 18 my dad died of cancer and I cried but not like everyone else died. I had a meltdown 7 months later and they were asking me all these questions and I couldn't express my feelings like I wanted to. I stumble and repeat a lot so I got into one of my moods and became anxious and agitated. So they labeled me as bipolar. I have also been labeled as having a multiple personality disorder. I want a proper diagnosis for proper coping skills. I have no idea what I am but I do know who I am. I do not live ina delusional world but I do seem to stumble a lot in it. I can't pick up on peoples true meaning and am often too trusting of others. I try hard to make friends but I tend to lose them due to misunderstanding and. I want desperately to find out the name of what I am. I am a human, good heart, humorous. Just want a diagnosis. I struggle in life so gatd. Does this all seem luk

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 12:41 am

I am sorry its my phone. I meant I struggle in life so bad. And does this seem like aspergers? I don't think I am schizophrenic as I have only seen or heard things twice in childhood that I did actually have the experience of seeing and hearing prior to it. Please help me.

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 12:47 am

Once you're diagnosed you can begin taking the next steps to utilize your situation to it's maximum potential. Until then coherse with individuals who have been diagnosed on the spectrum so you can make adjustments to your behavior

Things like diagnosis', titles and labels assist people. As much as we like to bash them sometimes.

I've become a huge advocate for prescription medications. Co-Respiridone and Nabilone are anxiety, and bi-polar medications. When taken in conjunction, the effects are similar to understanding the NT world, and taking a long, deep and extended breath

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 1:08 am

Hi and ty for your response. I am actually on a low dose of zoloft to help with my anxiety panic and depression issues. Do I seem like I may have aspergers? It feels good to finally communicate with people who truly understand it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 1:13 am

Welcome to WP!

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 1:32 am

Thank you :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 2:36 am

We cant truly diagnose you.

And you're already taking the first brave step to get a doctor to dx you.

But to answer your question I would say that you might well be on the spectrum. Trouble making friends and obsessive interests for example seem to fit.

doctissima
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jan 2012, 6:53 am

Hi MusicIsLife,

I'm also new on here and wondering about a diagnosis. What struck my about your post was your frustration at your grandma not being able to explain God to you. I had the same when I was young. My mom tells me I would throw tantrums when I was 4 because of questions like, "How do we know God is a good God?" I always thought I was simply an innate existentialist/nihilist, but now I wonder if it is my spectrum-like trait of perceiving things in the extreme. I always have to be absolutely sure of what I do or do not know, or I get anxious. Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, do you still deal with a lot of questions of "the meaning of life" etc. or have you found that you moved beyond this and don't revisit it often?

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 11:40 am

I do very much struggle with the meaning of life, and death. Both of my parents are dead and I would love to think they are in a beautiful place like heaven but my logical brain will not allow me to grasp that possibility.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 11:44 am

Its caused much depression in me. I have always felt a need for proof especially with religion. I used to ask who wrote the Bible but no one could give me any clear answers.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 11:53 am

Most of the time I needed logical explanations. Yes I did have a strong learning disability due to being born too early but I could think more deeply than what people might have thought. I tended to take things literally. For instance, my 1st grade teacher taught us to never let anyone touch us. Meaning on bad places. Well I took this so extremely that I when I went to visit my grandmother I pushed her away and told her that my teacher said no one is allowed to touch me. My grandmother said I became very upset and rigid.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 11:56 am

She explained that my teacher meant strangers. Once it was explained I became calmer.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 1:34 pm

She explained that my teacher meant strangers. Once it was explained I became calmer.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 1:34 pm

Most of the time I needed logical explanations. Yes I did have a strong learning disability due to being born too early but I could think more deeply than what people might have thought. I tended to take things literally. For instance, my 1st grade teacher taught us to never let anyone touch us. Meaning on bad places. Well I took this so extremely that I when I went to visit my grandmother I pushed her away and told her that my teacher said no one is allowed to touch me. My grandmother said I became very upset and rigid.