Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AnActualRailfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2012, 6:01 pm

Hello. :) I'm Catherine, 17, and I have a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome.

I'm interested in railways (my 'special interest'), transport/industry-related things in general, politics, philosophy, history and music. Regarding my taste in music, I'm particularly into jazz, classical, progressive rock, krautrock and folk/'world'. I'd love to meet other people who enjoy these genres of music.

I'm mainly here to make new friends. I'm particularly keen to chat with people who share my interests, but I'll happily talk to anybody who wants to get to know me.

Feel free to send me a comment or a PM. Thank you for reading. :)

dominique
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm

Hi :). I love music-especially non-mainstream stuff. If you could suggest some of your favorites, I'd really want to hear...

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 6:58 pm

Hi. i will gladly discuss philosophy, history and music with like-minded folk. Also medeival fantasy fictions, maps and politics.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 7:12 pm

i listen to lots of classical music. my favorite periods are baroque and romantic. welcome to wrong planet.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 7:23 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 11:13 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

AnActualRailfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2012, 11:03 pm

dominique wrote:
Hi :). I love music-especially non-mainstream stuff. If you could suggest some of your favorites, I'd really want to hear...

Well, as I say, I particularly like classical, jazz, progressive rock (incl. Krautrock) and folk/world (I really dislike the term 'world music', though!). My classical tastes are fairly conventional - just 'The Greats', really, though I am particularly keen on Debussy, Mahler and Wagner. My taste in jazz also draws on a lot of the 'usual suspects' (e.g. Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Monk, Miles, Coltrane), but there are several artists I'd highly recommend if you're looking for stuff that's a little more 'out there' - for example, the world fusion pioneer Yusef Lateef, and the free jazz composers Sun Ra, Pharoah Sanders, Eric Dolphy and Cecil Taylor.

Regarding prog and folk, I'm particularly into Krautrock (especially Amon Duul II, Tangerine Dream and Popol Vuh), psychedelic folk (e.g. Comus, Incredible String Band, Third Ear Band), and American Primitivist stuff in the vein of John Fahey. However, I also take an interest in traditional music styles besides Western folk. Some favourites would include the oud master Munir Bashir, Mali luminaries like Djelimady Tounkara and Toumani Diabate, and Hindustani classical music (particularly the guitarist Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, the santoor player Shivkumar Sharma and the flautist Hariprasad Chaurasia). Hope that's helpful!

Thanks for the welcome messages, everyone. :)

(Edited several times for clarity, and because I kept forgetting some important favourites. :P)

Last edited by AnActualRailfan on 16 Jun 2012, 11:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 11:03 pm

Welcome to facebook!