Passing the time while on the waiting list for an assessment

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

eucalyptus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2013, 7:39 am

Hi everyone
I am new to this site. By way of introduction:

I am approaching middle age and, along the way, acquired dozens of theories as to why I have always felt different. For many years I put it down to cultural differences and discrimination. Being a migrant girl who was a high achiever in maths and noticeably poor in sport, I naturally attracted some negative attention at school in the bad old discriminatory days of the 1960s - early 70s. The alienation intensified when I became a university activist and rebelled against various social norms.

I began suspecting I had Aspergers when I returned to work after divorce. I started working with special needs children - the children with Aspergers seemed more normal to me than my co-workers! :wink:

I ended up becoming self employed after experiencing repeated problems in different jobs with hierarchy, pressures to act like "one of the girls" and fit in with the "team". Now that I am my own boss I feel happier and well respected - my clients judge me by how I do my job and not by whether I fit in with a crowd.

My long confusing search for compatibility has finally paid off and I am now seeing someone with a similar educational and ethnic background - he does not see the need for either one of us to seek a diagnosis. However I have gone on a clinic waiting list to be assessed for Aspergers.

I maintain some left wing activist/political interests and I may decide to declare that I am on the spectrum to seek a better understanding amongst people I mix with politically. I could possibly see myself having some future advocacy role if it is confirmed that I am on the spectrum. I am unafraid of this diagnosis - I am used to being different, my strengths outweigh my weaknesses and my family and few close friends support me having a mind of my own.

"eucalyptus"

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 7:50 am

Hang in there. Finding out has personal value, even if it's lacking in acceptance value.

And we need more adult autistics who know to tip the balance against the thousands of adult autistics who still think everyone else is like them

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 9:14 am

Welcome and good luck. :D

Proxy_Trump
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2013, 10:18 am

Welcome!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 10:24 am

Isn't the word 'welcome' funny when you keep saying it over and over again.

eucalyptus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2013, 5:36 pm

Words like "welcome" are said over and over again. When you are new the word has value. It signifies that people are interested in how you are faring as a newcomer.

Tracypedia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm

Go for it, eucalyptus. I too am seeking a diagnosis - as much as anything so that employers are legally bound to do something if I need them to (last job broke down as line manager didn't understand the issues associated with AS). Most of my friends accept my quirkiness as being 'me' - those who don't, generally don't tend to stay around long! Those who do have been a life-saver on several occasions as I don't feel the need to be someone else in their company. Hope all works out for you, whatever you choose to do.
:D

eucalyptus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2013, 11:27 pm

thanks Tracypedia
although I'm on the other side of the world your support is priceless. I will let you know the result of the diagnosis next month 8)

eucalyptus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm

thanks Tracypedia
although I'm on the other side of the world your support is priceless. I will let you know the result of the diagnosis next month 8)