The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 984 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 981, 982, 983, 984, 985, 986, 987 ... 1006  Next

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:10 pm

Well, that is what snakes do....
:wink:

turlough3
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2013, 9:49 pm

Hi I'm new and yes I'm feeling old and creaky. I've been on Social Security Disability for years and I don't feel like a productive member of society. I've been looking for work with no success.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 10:53 pm

turlough3 wrote:
Hi I'm new and yes I'm feeling old and creaky. I've been on Social Security Disability for years and I don't feel like a productive member of society. I've been looking for work with no success.

hiya Turlough3 :) welcome to our cool club 8)
if I were you i'd be thankful for the social safety net [SSDI] as I have not been able to rate such, I've been forced to simply tough it out without a safety net. I'd have been spared much discomfort/pain over the years if I had qualified for such.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 4:23 pm

turlough3 wrote:

Not all paid work is productive (e.g. much of Wall Street trading is parasitic, contributing nothing to the efficient allocation of resources), and not all productive things are paid work. What are your talents and interests, and could others benefit from some of it?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 4:35 pm

Gromit wrote:
Not all paid work is productive (e.g. much of Wall Street trading is parasitic, contributing nothing to the efficient allocation of resources), and not all productive things are paid work.

QFT!

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 2:42 pm

volunteering, for example.
or painting, reading, gardening, knitting, doing things you love to do....
as long as you have something that pays the "gotta have" bills, there is a whole world of other things to fill up one's time.

welcome to the cafe. it used to be a cafe, when it was started. with a number of regulars - few of whom still seem to be around. could we have collectively gotten lives outside of wp or...?

Sumac
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2013, 8:55 am

Hi - newbie here. I reckon I'm old and creaky as well. I'm well into middle age (by my reckoning :D ) so is there a space here for another oldie?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 1:17 pm

Hi Guys. Damp and cold outside here in the first Vancouver.
My middle son is an aspie and used to work in the video game industry as a programmer. Then he came down with another AS: ankylosing spondylitis. Between the pain and the medication, he has been unable to do the work he loves. His girlfriend dumped him because she wanted to have children some day and he can't even handle the noise children make. I sympathize with both sides of that issue. All that to say this: he is severely depressed. I am trying to think how I can find an AS-friendly psychiatrist in the Kirkland/Redmond/Microsoft area I can drag him too. There should be lots of them there. I'm thinking of moving up there so I can bully him to places where he can get help, but best-beloved does not care for that idea. So how do I find my son a psychiatrist from three and half hours away?
I feel badly about pushing around a grown man, but I don't see him getting out of this pit by himself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 4:01 pm

Sumac wrote:
Hi - newbie here. I reckon I'm old and creaky as well. I'm well into middle age (by my reckoning :D ) so is there a space here for another oldie?

hiya Sumac :) welcome to our cool club 8) and as long as you're not poison ;) you surely are welcome here!

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 4:16 pm

Aunt Blabby, thanks for commenting on my blog.
Rest of the room: Yay for Wrongplanet! Somebody sent me a list of AS friendly therapists in Kirkland environs.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 4:16 pm

lelia wrote:
Hi Guys. Damp and cold outside here in the first Vancouver.
My middle son is an aspie and used to work in the video game industry as a programmer. Then he came down with another AS: ankylosing spondylitis. Between the pain and the medication, he has been unable to do the work he loves. His girlfriend dumped him because she wanted to have children some day and he can't even handle the noise children make. I sympathize with both sides of that issue. All that to say this: he is severely depressed. I am trying to think how I can find an AS-friendly psychiatrist in the Kirkland/Redmond/Microsoft area I can drag him too. There should be lots of them there. I'm thinking of moving up there so I can bully him to places where he can get help, but best-beloved does not care for that idea. So how do I find my son a psychiatrist from three and half hours away?
I feel badly about pushing around a grown man, but I don't see him getting out of this pit by himself.

in terms of helping with the ankylosing spondylitis, has he considered a low-acid [no sugar or starch] diet? there have been studies which showed a reduction in symptoms [pain/swelling] when test subjects adhered to this diet. just a thought.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 4:50 pm

He eats mostly veggies. He does not eat sugar. Starch I don't know. I'll have to ask him when we drive up this weekend.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 5:15 pm

lelia wrote:
He eats mostly veggies. He does not eat sugar. Starch I don't know. I'll have to ask him when we drive up this weekend.

starch in terms of things like potatoes/pasta/corn/white refined wheat and such.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 May 2013, 5:26 pm

Sumac wrote:

To WrongPlanet!! !

And Welcome to the Dino Cafe

ImageImageImage

Someone will be around with the muffins, and remember one of our cardinal rules:

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 7:04 am

Nobody told me there was a chocolate tub!

(probably just as well)

:wink:

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 11:22 pm

be careful of that tub.
And of Postie!