Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2024, 5:20 am

Hey, everyone!

I’m a late diagnosed autistic (less than a month ago!) I hope to meet more autistic people and maybe not feel so alone. Getting my offical diagnosis was an “Aha!” moment for me. Afterwards it became more like I don’t know who I truly am because of how I have had different personas to wear in my life. How was your first reaction to your diagnosis (offical or self-diagnosed are acceptable!) ? I am interested to know!

Self-stigma is real and exists because of how we have been conditioned to believe that everyone has the capabilities like NTs.

Healing is a journey, not a straightforward process

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 7:26 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You wrote: "How was your first reaction to your diagnosis (offical or self-diagnosed are acceptable!) ? I am interested to know!"
I am self diagnosed. I realized I was within the spectrum about 5 years ago. I was 70 years old at the time.

You also wrote, "I have had different personas to wear in my life."
I am a little bit similar. In a way I am like Peter Pan. I live in a very strange world, one on a planet called Earth and another in a strange world of Never Never Never land. It makes life interesting.

To understand this know that you have multiple brains. One exist on the left side of your skull and the other on the right. There is a little bit of connecting tissue that combines these two regions together. As we grow up from childhood to adulthood, these two regions are combined together. But for some of us we are a little different. We have two beings inside us. One exist in daytime and the other exist during our sleep phase in REM and NREM sleep.

If you can learn how to combine these two brains and work with them, they will lead the way forward.

Do not feel stress, rather learn how to use stress and convert it into energy.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 1:48 pm

I'd known for a long time that I seemed to be treated differently even though it was unclear to me why. It was not 'til I was 64 that I got a hint to read about Autism. I got my diagnosis just before my 65th birthday. And I SMILED! :D It explained so much.

I really did pickup some champagne on the way home from the psychologist.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:30 pm

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here. My first reaction to my diagnosis was a mix of feelings. connecting with others who understand has been very helpful. Feel free to reach out if you ever want to chat or share experiences!

j_k
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2024, 2:36 pm

Welcome!

I get the "different personas" statement a great deal. The more I've learned and fo used on myself, I've found building my own to be worthwhile. Good luck!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 4:28 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2024, 6:21 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

The realisation that I might be autistic was such a gradual process, that I wasn't really surprised when I got an official diagnosis. In fact my words after being told that I "did meet the threshold for an autism diagnosis" were: "Ok... About what I expected".

I wish I could remember what my reaction was to my mother first telling me about 14 years before my diagnosis, that I might have autism. I think though, I mostly put it to the back of my mind until the autism assessment process.

When going through the autism assessment process, the more inevitable being autistic seemed for me, especially when looking into autistic traits.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 7:27 pm

Welcome to WP! :alien:

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 7:30 pm

welcome

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 7:31 pm

Ahoy-hoy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2024, 2:45 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2024, 11:21 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You wrote: "How was your first reaction to your diagnosis (offical or self-diagnosed are acceptable!) ? I am interested to know!"
I am self diagnosed. I realized I was within the spectrum about 5 years ago. I was 70 years old at the time.

You also wrote, "I have had different personas to wear in my life."
I am a little bit similar. In a way I am like Peter Pan. I live in a very strange world, one on a planet called Earth and another in a strange world of Never Never Never land. It makes life interesting.

To understand this know that you have multiple brains. One exist on the left side of your skull and the other on the right. There is a little bit of connecting tissue that combines these two regions together. As we grow up from childhood to adulthood, these two regions are combined together. But for some of us we are a little different. We have two beings inside us. One exist in daytime and the other exist during our sleep phase in REM and NREM sleep.

If you can learn how to combine these two brains and work with them, they will lead the way forward.

Do not feel stress, rather learn how to use stress and convert it into energy.

It’s such a pleasure to meet you! And thank you for the informations. That is a very interesting way to see this. I will take into consideration on your words. Cheers!

Self-stigma is real and exists because of how we have been conditioned to believe that everyone has the capabilities like NTs.

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2024, 11:23 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I'd known for a long time that I seemed to be treated differently even though it was unclear to me why. It was not 'til I was 64 that I got a hint to read about Autism. I got my diagnosis just before my 65th birthday. And I SMILED! :D It explained so much.

I really did pickup some champagne on the way home from the psychologist.

I am so glad you got your diagnosis and then have it celebrated! It truly was a moment for me too. Have another drink on my behalf! (Cause I don’t drink, something about the taste. Cheers buddy!

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2024, 11:26 pm

Fenn wrote:
Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here. My first reaction to my diagnosis was a mix of feelings. connecting with others who understand has been very helpful. Feel free to reach out if you ever want to chat or share experiences!

I understand completely! It was an “Aha” moment for me cause everything finally made sense. But I also have the mix feelings because I have no idea how to move forward with that since it has been with me all along. I am currently relearning about myself and finding acceptance for it.

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2024, 11:28 pm

j_k wrote:
Welcome!

I get the "different personas" statement a great deal. The more I've learned and fo used on myself, I've found building my own to be worthwhile. Good luck!

Yes, I carry with me different personas with whom or where I am in the current situations. It’s really hard on days when I just can’t seemed to get things right. Thank you for your kind words. I will continue learn about who I am and hopefully learn to drop the personas and just be myself. Cheers!

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2024, 11:31 pm

Hokulea wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet.

The realisation that I might be autistic was such a gradual process, that I wasn't really surprised when I got an official diagnosis. In fact my words after being told that I "did meet the threshold for an autism diagnosis" were: "Ok... About what I expected".

I wish I could remember what my reaction was to my mother first telling me about 14 years before my diagnosis, that I might have autism. I think though, I mostly put it to the back of my mind until the autism assessment process.

When going through the autism assessment process, the more inevitable being autistic seemed for me, especially when looking into autistic traits.

Mine was an “Aha” moment because things finally made sense. I was misdiagnosed earlier in 2019 of having bipolar. The medication for bipolar was really bad for me. As much as I already felt alienated in this world, the medications made me feel even more detached and “zombified”. It was not until recently, a new doctor told me I did not have bipolar, I was just autistic. Then I was off from the medication I had and suddenly the world seemed more realistic. But relearning about myself is still a struggle and I am hanging in there. Hope you’re having a great day! Cheers