Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Nikaru
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2008, 10:04 am

Hello, my nickname is Nikaru, but you can call me Nicole. I'm almost twenty seven years old, and was diagnoised with Asperger's Syndrome pretty late in life (around my twenties). For years, I had been mistaken for having ADD, Depression, and Bi-polar disorder... when all along, I was really autistic. Sometimes I wonder if I knew what i know now, if life would ahve been different for me. *shurgs*

Anywho... I'm rather new to discussing my autisim... and hope this could perhaps be an eye opening experience. Thank you. Umm... I guess if anyone wants, they can ask me questions?
-Nicole

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:08 am

Nikaru wrote:
I'm almost twenty seven years old, and was diagnoised with Asperger's Syndrome pretty late in life (around my twenties). -Nicole

Why do people, like yourself, think that "around my twenties" is pretty late in life? I suffered alot longer before I received an accurate diagnosis of AS.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 May 2008, 2:35 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 2:57 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 3:28 pm

Nice to meet you, Nicole. :) 8)

rekoil
Raven
Raven

31 May 2008, 4:30 pm

Nikaru wrote:

Well, considering that Asperger's was discovered in 1994... and I found out I have it seven years later... I consider that a late diagnosis. Abd your statement confuses me a little... are you saying that in a mean way, or a nice way? It's sorta making me feel uncomfortable for some reason. I mean, does it really matter who suffered more? We figured it out, and our suffering can lessen, no?
-Nicole

I would say don't let it discomfort you. I'm new here myself, but I'll welcome you as if I've been here for years. Welcome to WrongPlanet. Nice to meet you. Our timelines match up pretty well. Age, when we learned about Asperger's, and when we joined here. I don't have a clinical diagnosis. Do you feel it has helped you?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 7:32 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
Nikaru wrote:
I'm almost twenty seven years old, and was diagnoised with Asperger's Syndrome pretty late in life (around my twenties). -Nicole

Why do people, like yourself, think that "around my twenties" is pretty late in life? I suffered alot longer before I received an accurate diagnosis of AS.

One possibility is that those now in their 20s and early 30s are still close enough in age to have siblings who are being diagnosed, and come to find out they were misdiagnosed or exempted from diagnosis due to the condition not being identified at that time. Or that the condition has existed for more than a third of one's life causes some shock when doctors are unable to accurately diagnosis it. I must agree that your response wasn't clear; there is a dismissive tone that really isn't necessary or appropriate. She, like so many here, is discovering something new that explains so much... why is your response then so cool and dismissive? There is no contest here.

Nikaru - welcome, and thank you for sharing. There are many individuals who are finding themselves at the same point that you do now - faulty diagnoses, confusion, now an adult and trying to find perspective. Try not to let yourself get tripped up on the nuance and interpretation, and look forward to talking more with you as opportunity allows.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

autism
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2008, 9:07 pm

Hello.
Welcome to WrongPlanet.

The only thing I got was the error message because I have to reboot my best friend sometimes.

I have two cousins and a younger sibling who have Asperger Syndrome.

Nikaru
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2008, 7:55 am

Thank you all for such a nice welcome. :D I hope to get a better understanding of my condition here, and perhaps start moving foreword a bit more in life (Sorta stuck in a rut). Again, thank you so much!
-Nicole

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 10:54 am

Happy to shove you out of your rut at any time.