Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

17seconds
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2009, 1:35 pm

hey, my name is melissa, but you can call me m. I'm twenty-three and i'm from colorado. i've had my suspicions for a while now but have just been officially diagnosed as an aspie, so hooray for that, right?

i'm in school to be a massage therapist and that's a pre-emptive strike to naturopathy, because i'm also somewhat of a holistic/alternative nut. i'm the queen of horrible, insensitive jokes, and that certainly makes me the life of any party.

i don't know, i'm just kind of glad to find somewhere that i can feel slightly less awkward.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 1:47 pm

Welcome Melissa!

I think you came up with a very clever title. Your interest in holistic health seems interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 1:53 pm

17seconds wrote:
hey, my name is melissa, but you can call me m. I'm twenty-three and i'm from colorado. i've had my suspicions for a while now but have just been officially diagnosed as an aspie, so hooray for that, right?

i'm in school to be a massage therapist and that's a pre-emptive strike to naturopathy, because i'm also somewhat of a holistic/alternative nut. i'm the queen of horrible, insensitive jokes, and that certainly makes me the life of any party.

i don't know, i'm just kind of glad to find somewhere that i can feel slightly less awkward.

welcome to the forum M! :)

when i was ten years old and sick in the hospital (nothing serious - just a lower respiratory infection) i had an inpatient massage appointment with this huge massage therapist lady who did this job for over ten years. that was the most therapeutic experience during my hospital stay. and that is why i still have pleasant memories about the very bad experience of being hospitalized. :)

jeff

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 1:55 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
17seconds wrote:

welcome to the forum M! :)

congrats on realizing you have AS - your life will be much better and easier now that you have a perspective on your past and a context in which to think about your life.

aspies have difficulties at home, at work, at school and with friends - feel free to rely on the members of this forum for support.

when i was ten years old and sick in the hospital (nothing serious - just a lower respiratory infection) i had an inpatient massage appointment with this huge massage therapist lady who did this job for over ten years. that was the most therapeutic experience during my hospital stay. and that is why i still have pleasant memories about the very bad experience of being hospitalized. :)

jeff

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Mar 2009, 2:52 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

BobTheMartian
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2009, 5:00 pm

17seconds wrote:

Hey there, M. I'm your man if you ever need clever thread titles. I can pull them out of my ass at a dime a dozen, but we can discuss 'pricing' later... ;) [/insensitive joke]

Hey, I'm working on it.

Seriously though, welcome. I don't know that much about this board myself yet, but I think it'll be a great resource to help you answer your questions and gain perspective on this next chapter of your life.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:10 pm

Hello,
What can you recommend for my wonderful 27 yr old aspie who programs video games and has just been diagnosed with akylosing spondylitis?
He lives with my oldest son's family in Kirkland and both of them work for game companies in Bellevue, Washington.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:25 pm

Welcome to the Wrong Planet neighborhood, melissa.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 12:01 am

lelia wrote:
Hello,
What can you recommend for my wonderful 27 yr old aspie who programs video games and has just been diagnosed with akylosing spondylitis?
He lives with my oldest son's family in Kirkland and both of them work for game companies in Bellevue, Washington.

what's akylosing spondylitis?
i believe aspies can really benefit from a general massage - it might really help with their loneliness and sense of alienation from people. we use therapeutic touch for babies - why not adults?

Berns
Raven
Raven

05 Mar 2009, 12:15 am

17seconds wrote:
i've had my suspicions for a while now but have just been officially diagnosed as an aspie, so hooray for that, right?

That's great. Are you obsessed with petty hobbies?

17seconds
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2009, 12:32 am

lelia wrote:
Hello,

with ankylosing spondylitis, you need to keep moving to keep the joints in the spine mobile, so stretching is important. if he's programming video games he needs to get up regularly to stretch, and if it's possible, try to get one of those exercise balls to use as a chair. (when sitting on those balls, the proprioceptors in our body are constantly monitoring and adjusting our position in space, so micro-muscle movements occur to keep us steady.)

as far as massage goes, a CMT could definately help with assisted stretching for joint mobility, relaxation (stress will always make flares more severe.) when he's having a flare, swedish massage or deep tissue is not the best idea: but if you can find someone who does lymphatic drainage massage, it will help clear out the debris and junk in the inflammed areas to bring down the recovery time.

and to everyone else: thanks for the replies. looking forward to posting with you.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 1:18 am

Thank you.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 5:14 am

Hi welcome melissa "i hate thinking of clever titles" you just did 8O what ever is different from the norm, we can not help ourselves :alien:

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Mar 2009, 11:50 am

Hi m and welcome to the WrongPlanet. I think you will enjoy this community. It sounds like you have a promising career. Have fun on the WrongPlanet.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 4:11 pm

Welcome to WP.
I was drawn to your thread by the clever title :wink: