LGBT forum. Good thing for WP or just yet another subforum?

Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Do we need a LGBT subforum?
Poll ended at 04 Dec 2011, 8:39 am
yes 64%  64%  [ 18 ]
no 36%  36%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 28

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2010, 8:39 am

I was away a while and saw the last thread pre-emptively closed by Tallyman and thus stopping further potentially useful discussion.

So people feel free to discuss whether to add on yet another subforum.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 9:02 am

I don't see the point. Does the L&D forum not already accommodate LGBT people? I've seen loads of threads which suggest it does.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 2:59 pm

I know one gay person who committed suicide, and yes I think that a subforum is a good idea. I like the idea of a place for GBLT people to post re GBLT issues.

Taking a break.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 5:14 pm

How about, neither of the above. The two choices are very extreme. No choices for those of us whose answer is a less extreme version of yes or no. Seems to me it's possible that such a forum would be beneficial for such people, even without anyone being bigoted. I've no idea, though, if the people who it would be for would like to see such a forum.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 6:45 am

Unfortunately this discussion is pointless as certain supporters will revert back to the accusations of prejudice. This was actually the way in which the person who requested it got Alex to agree. There is no arguement other than that and the fact that 'people could die'. If someone had such a problem relating to being LGBT that they needed the help and advice only from other LGBT people then surely they would go to an LGBT specific site where there are more people to help them rather than coming to a place where only a small section are LGBT. In reality the problems can easily be discussed in appropriate existing forums and have been up until now, with no issues arising from it. Why would LGBT people not respect the views and opinions of straight people? Most actually do.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 9:33 am

I don't really see the point, but then again, it wouldn't really bother me if there was one either.

The only downside I can see is that straight people would probably not bother going into the subforum much, so people who do post there might not recieve as much advice as they would have if they had posted in the love&dating forum.

I suppose some people would argue that only gay people need comment on questions related to gay romance. That seems a little close minded to me.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 7:01 am

@Mark198423: perhaps because there are LGBT auties & aspies?

religion gets its own one after all. why cant religious people solve their problems in another forum? (this is a rhetorical question btw)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 11:05 am

StevieC wrote:

religion gets its own one after all. why cant religious people solve their problems in another forum? (this is a rhetorical question btw)

That's for debating religious, political, and philosophical matters, not for helping religious people.

Mojave
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2010, 1:59 pm

StevieC wrote:

Religion doesn't get its own one at all. PPR is for debating philosophical, political and religious issues; it is not meant as an exclusive forum for religious folks.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:00 pm

Asp-Z & Mojave - Thanks for clearing that up for me! :wink:

StevieC - I'm well aware that there are LGBT people on the spectrum. I just see no need to split them from straight people when talking about sexual/sexuality issues. We all have enough problems as it is, why can't we all stay in the same forum and help each other?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:08 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
I'm well aware that there are LGBT people on the spectrum. I just see no need to split them from straight people when talking about sexual/sexuality issues. We all have enough problems as it is, why can't we all stay in the same forum and help each other?

I agree here. There's no need for further division. The L&D forum already serves LGBT people just fine.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:09 pm

What about the T in LGBT? Being transgendered doesn't have anything to do with Love and Dating

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:11 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Mark198423 wrote:
I'm well aware that there are LGBT people on the spectrum. I just see no need to split them from straight people when talking about sexual/sexuality issues. We all have enough problems as it is, why can't we all stay in the same forum and help each other?

I agree here. There's no need for further division. The L&D forum already serves LGBT people just fine.

Exactally! I've never seen any homophobia in there or any other forum on this site either.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:14 pm

Volodja wrote:
What about the T in LGBT? Being transgendered doesn't have anything to do with Love and Dating

True, but I know many gay people who don't understand transgendered people very well so how would they get better advice in an LGBT forum than a forum for everybody (maybe an age-related one)?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:15 pm

If you want a forum specifically for transgender people to give each other advice... Go join one.

Seriously, I don't want to sound discriminatory or anything, but one Asperger's forum can't do everything. I still think there should be a men's forum if there's a women's one, but apparently, no, they won't do that.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:32 pm

I think it's a good idea.