Feedback on the NEW WrongPlanet site.

Page 6 of 21 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 12:03 am

alex wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
"View my posts" on the main forum page needs to work like it used to. It needs to show topics I've posted in. Right now, it works like the "view all posts by this user" feature on the profile page.

I don't actually read my old posts very often, but I do like to have a one button way to find out if there have been replies to threads I've posted in.

THIS.

That's one of the things that will be fixed. Hopefully soon.

Thank you. It feels easier to handle uncontrollable change if I get the sense that the people in control are in control and take an interest in considered feedback.

Overall, I feel okay about the mobile site. I'd like to be able to zoom, or adjust the text size, but it works pretty well for a site under construction.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 12:46 am

I just realized that we can now make polls with multi-reply options. That's a great feature!

alex wrote:
sly279 wrote:
so no more quote tunnels?

say's you can't embed more then 3 quotes in a reply. this sucks if you are replying to someone about what they replied to. now you have to make it just to their reply and yours. :(

fixed

Thank you!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 1:44 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Jono wrote:
The main problem that I have with the new site is that you can no longer see someone else's gender or diagnosis.

yeah :| it would make communication a bit harder definitely, with it not visible. thanks English for not having a gender neutral pronoun.
we've had lots of suggestions about more gender/sex and diagnosis options, perhaps custom.
they could still be working on it or not?

Unless you use the singular "they" as a gender neutral pronoun but I don't like to use it that often. Also, since this is an ASD forum, there a discussions in which I would really like to know if the person I'm talking to is on the spectrum or is neurotypical. That's why the "diagnosis" category on the old WP was necessary, it really sucks that you can't see the diagnosis on someones profile anymore.

Alex, this only a suggestion but could you consider at including something like the just the male/female symbol as well as diagnosis as part of the information under a person's avatar in their posts, along with age, location etc? I know that there are some people who don't like their gender shown but for that you can add an option to hide it.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Nov 2014, 1:46 am

Jono wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Jono wrote:
The main problem that I have with the new site is that you can no longer see someone else's gender or diagnosis.

yeah :| it would make communication a bit harder definitely, with it not visible. thanks English for not having a gender neutral pronoun.
we've had lots of suggestions about more gender/sex and diagnosis options, perhaps custom.

Unless you use the singular "they" as a gender neutral pronoun but I don't like to use it that often. Also, since this is an ASD forum, there a discussions in which I would really like to know if the person I'm talking to is on the spectrum or is neurotypical. That's why the "diagnosis" category on the old WP was necessary, it really sucks that you can't see the diagnosis on someones profile anymore.

Alex, this only a suggestion but could you consider at including something like the just the male/female symbol as well as diagnosis as part of the information under a person's avatar in their posts, along with age, location etc? I know that there are some people who don't like their gender shown but for that you can add an option to hide it.

that will all be added back to the profiles

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 1:59 am

xmh wrote:
The frontpage has "Register" and "Log in" buttons, however if I click through to the forums I am logged in.

I'm not sure that is entirely accurate.

It seems to be true that anyone entering the site, including visitors, can now switch between the forums and view them (with a couple of obvious exceptions), without having to log in or register. That in fact is what a fair number of members were asking for in this forum before the revamp.

But you still cannot post without being logged in. An exception to this appears to have been made in the case of the Autism Politics and Bipolar (etc) forums.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 2:15 am

alex wrote:
Jono wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Jono wrote:

that will all be added back to the profiles

Good enough for me. Thanks.

Kuribo64
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2014, 8:29 am

I mistakenly posted my feedback in a separate thread which I've since deleted. Sorry about that.

Firstly, I'd like to thank Alex for performing the upgrade. The site loads very quickly, and I haven't encountered any bugs or errors so far. Hopefully, this will entice some of the members and moderators who left to return.

Things I Like About the New WP

- The design is very clean and minimalistic while retaining character
- Loading time has been greatly improved.
- Responsive design works brilliantly on smartphones
- The navigation bar is a lot more useful than that of the old site
- The new front page looks very professional
- The blue colour scheme is calming
- Contrary to what others have said, I like the fixed page width
- The "Report" function is a useful addition

Improvements & Suggested Additions

- Bring back indicator icons to the left of forums (see here)
- Make links more noticeable (always underlined, perhaps)
- Please include the option for a non-responsive layout (for large tablet users)
- Move Preview/Submit/Save Draft/Cancel above the smilies
- Show topic titles above "Latest Post" on the index
- Consider displaying avatars on index and in forums, as seen in Invision Power Board

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks again for the upgrade. :)

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 8:40 am

Don't like this at all. Logged in from my phone. Hate the new look and the way mobile sites are on phones. There is not even a "view desktop site" option. Most mobile sites have those.

I understand the need for upgrades to the site. But why couldn't you keep the layout the same?

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 11:10 am

Suggest you use the opportunity to reduce the amount of clutter by reviewing 'Sticky' threads. On some first pages there is barely room for new posts because so many Stickys have accumulated. I think quite a few are dated and could be 'Unstuck'.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2014, 11:46 am

DeepHour wrote:
xmh wrote:
The frontpage has "Register" and "Log in" buttons, however if I click through to the forums I am logged in.

I'm not sure that is entirely accurate.

It seems to be true that anyone entering the site, including visitors, can now switch between the forums and view them (with a couple of obvious exceptions), without having to log in or register. That in fact is what a fair number of members were asking for in this forum before the revamp.

But you still cannot post without being logged in. An exception to this appears to have been made in the case of the Autism Politics and Bipolar (etc) forums.

I am definitely logged in when I visit the forums and able to post, however when I go to the homepage it has the login and register buttons visible.

With the old board it was possible to view most of the boards without being logged in (the exceptions being members only and adult) so that has not changed. Anonymous posting is not turned on and would not be a good idea.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Nov 2014, 11:48 am

The sitewide login issue causing you not to appear registered on articles/homepage will be fixed hopefully very soon.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 12:11 pm

xmh wrote:
I am definitely logged in when I visit the forums and able to post, however when I go to the homepage it has the login and register buttons visible.

Basically, there are two backends to the site. Wordpress runs the "main" site, phpbb runs the forum. Unlike the old version, the wordpress install and the phpbb install are pretty loosely coupled. The site developers have a bunch of code that they wrote to unify these two parts of the site, but right now it's basically all turned off to minimize the number of things that could go wrong during the cutover, and they'll be added back in somewhat slowly.

Most of the profile stuff and integration things that people have been picking up on (birthdays, diagnosis, etc) are all code bits that already exist, but got turned off for the upgrade.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm

I can't edit posts made before the upgrade.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

KenM wrote:
There is not even a "view desktop site" option. Most mobile sites have those.

i'm in favor of this also. i can't see anymore, on my phone (iphone 4) who has posted the most recent post in a subforum or thread.
i liked that.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:29 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I just realized that we can now make polls with multi-reply options. That's a great feature!

I've also noticed that answers have been duplicated in polls, now. Hopefully it's an easy problem to fix.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 6:01 pm

I find the report button to be too large and too much like other commonly used buttons; I've already hit it once when I was simply looking to reply, and worry that others may do so as well. I know, I CAN read, but I am not slow and careful when clicking buttons during my "fun" time. Human nature, sorry.

I would use a color like red, dark gray, or reddish brown.

Or add a "confirm that you are reporting this post" message following the first click.

You really do not want moderators to have to sort through inappropriately reported posts; miss clicks are bound to happen.