Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 10:46 am

I understand we cannot change our username; however, I just noticed an option to change my nickname. I tried to make that change, but it still displays my username.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 11:02 am

I tried that, too. But that nickname doesn't show anywhere. I have no idea what that is for.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 11:20 am

I guess that function is just not working. It certainly seems clear that it's to enable users to change the name that displays on their posts.

I'd really like to get rid of "VegetableMan," to be honest. I chose it on a whim when I signed up, having just listened to that unreleased song from Pink Floyd. These lyrics kind of summed up my mood at the time:

I've been looking all over the place
for a place me,
but it ain't anywhere...
it just ain't anywhere

I absolutely loathe my username, now, as I find it too depressing, and not representative of who I really am.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 5:03 pm

jk1 wrote:
I tried that, too. But that nickname doesn't show anywhere. I have no idea what that is for.

your nickname is comiendo, isn't it? :)

right now it only shows one of two places, on the title bar in the internet browser and, when you post on somebody else's profile.

i admit i had my hopes quite up when it was introduced, that it would be like custom rank.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 6:19 am

VegetableMan wrote:
I guess that function is just not working. It certainly seems clear that it's to enable users to change the name that displays on their posts.

I'd really like to get rid of "VegetableMan," to be honest. I chose it on a whim when I signed up, having just listened to that unreleased song from Pink Floyd. These lyrics kind of summed up my mood at the time:

I've been looking all over the place
for a place me,
but it ain't anywhere...
it just ain't anywhere

I absolutely loathe my username, now, as I find it too depressing, and not representative of who I really am.

I don't think it's a bad username. I like usernames consisting of simple words. It's easy to remember. Well, I guess it's just my perspective. I actually thought you chose that name because you were a vegetarian. Now I know I was wrong.

~~~

Kiprobalhato wrote:
jk1 wrote:

right now it only shows one of two places, on the title bar in the internet browser and, when you post on somebody else's profile.

i admit i had my hopes quite up when it was introduced, that it would be like custom rank.

Yes! Thanks for telling me about that "Message Wall" thing. I sent messages to myself just to see what I'd see there. And yes, I saw on the tab title within the browser, "comiendo << comiendo, ...". I guess this nickname thing must be just not working. I was hoping to see "comiendo" for my posts. Not that I don't like "jk1".

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 1:21 pm

I don't like my username much either. People here have thought I was a guy before, and then when people notice that my posts are from a woman's perspective, it makes me worry that people might think I'm a very gay man who desires to be a woman. I think it has helped to put my real gender and sexuality in my signature.

But, like one of the other posters here said, I chose my username on a whim too. It's a shame the nickname option doesn't do anything. It seems there are a lot of buttons here that don't actually work.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 2:27 pm

I'm definitely a practicing omnivore. But I suspect quite a few people might have come to the conclusion you did, jk1.

Perhaps when they work all the bugs out we'll be able to change our nics. I certainly can't see any other reason for that feature to exist.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 3:33 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't like my username much either. People here have thought I was a guy before, and then when people notice that my posts are from a woman's perspective, it makes me worry that people might think I'm a very gay man who desires to be a woman. I think it has helped to put my real gender and sexuality in my signature.

But, like one of the other posters here said, I chose my username on a whim too. It's a shame the nickname option doesn't do anything. It seems there are a lot of buttons here that don't actually work.
I know a couple of women named Jo and have heard of other women named Joe.

Also, in the old sitcom Petticoat Junction, there were three Bradley sisters named Billie Jo, Betty Jo, and Bobby Jo.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 7:44 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
jk1 wrote:

Can we change our custom rank when we are over 1000 posts like we used to???
I want to but don't know how.

Pls advise.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 2:14 am

nope, there isn't a way. :roll:

jk1 wrote:
Not that I don't like "jk1".

it's certainly easy to remember.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 7:17 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
nope, there isn't a way. :roll:

jk1 wrote:
Not that I don't like "jk1".

it's certainly easy to remember.

thanks you for replying.you do a gr8 job.

With the owner of this vessel, one ought not to have high hopes, lest one be disappointed....like ....often....anyhow....grumble, :x :x :x :x grumble(under my breath*)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 8:17 pm

Prior to the WP revamp late last year, I had the impression that one's user name and 'nickname' were the same thing. Hence it may not be too surprising that attempts to change the nickname don't come to much.

But I could be wrong.