Reasons Aspies don't join/leave WP?

Page 3 of 15 [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

Are you aware of individuals on the spectrum that have a) decided not to join WP, or b) left WP?
Poll ended at 24 Jun 2013, 2:11 pm
Yes, but I don't know why individuals left/didn’t join 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
I don't know anyone else who left/didn’t join 28%  28%  [ 24 ]
No, everyone I know who joined WP stayed 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Yes, they indicated they didn’t like "negativity" 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
Yes, they thought this site was too positive towards ASDs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, they thought the site is too pro-cure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, they thought the site didn’t represent them 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Yes, they felt their views were ignored 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Yes, they thought the site was too depressing 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Yes, they felt awkward posting positive life experiences 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Other/Please explain 18%  18%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 87

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 10:46 am

nessa238 wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
I go from one extreme to another - I either post a lot or not at all, depending on how available I am to use the site and what mood I'm in and whether there are any topics that interest me.

If you miss certain people why not pm them to see how they are

I noticed you hadn't been around for a little while Nessa, and I was wondering if you were OK - I was in fact going to PM you to check in that you were. Glad to see you back.

Thanks Whirlingmind :)

I get too argumentative sometimes and it's best if I have a break

Also I'm currently anaemic so low energy so it's an effort to do anything lately

Lying in bed listening to the radio has been all I've felt like doing a lot of the time

Get well soon. Spinach has iron I think, perhaps some supplements? There's something missing from here when there are no heated debates going on. :wink:

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 May 2013, 10:55 am

I'll be leaving in a few days. probably for months on end, I doubt I'll have the internet so incase anybody misses me. :( :wink:

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 11:05 am

richardbenson wrote:
I'll be leaving in a few days. probably for months on end, I doubt I'll have the internet so incase anybody misses me. :( :wink:

Hope you are going some where nice, and not, say, prison?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 11:21 am

The times that I consider leaving WP are the times that I've been attacked on account of my special interests and the times that I've been accused of being insensitive, when the opposite is true about me. I'm a very sensitive person and it hurts when someone accuses me of posting something mean or insensitive. Those are the only times that I feel the urge to leave and not come back. I keep coming here because I enjoy posting here and I don't want to give anybody the satisfaction.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 11:45 am

whirlingmind wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
I go from one extreme to another - I either post a lot or not at all, depending on how available I am to use the site and what mood I'm in and whether there are any topics that interest me.

If you miss certain people why not pm them to see how they are

I noticed you hadn't been around for a little while Nessa, and I was wondering if you were OK - I was in fact going to PM you to check in that you were. Glad to see you back.

Thanks Whirlingmind :)

I get too argumentative sometimes and it's best if I have a break

Also I'm currently anaemic so low energy so it's an effort to do anything lately

Lying in bed listening to the radio has been all I've felt like doing a lot of the time

Get well soon. Spinach has iron I think, perhaps some supplements? There's something missing from here when there are no heated debates going on. :wink:

I've been given iron tablets, and vitamin B12 and Folic Acid to take but the iron tablets make me feel worse so have reduced the dose

I'm relieved that me never having the energy to do anything has a medical cause as I thought it was just me being very lazy! lol

I also have to be careful re heated debates as I will get banned

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 11:48 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
The times that I consider leaving WP are the times that I've been attacked on account of my special interests and the times that I've been accused of being insensitive, when the opposite is true about me. I'm a very sensitive person and it hurts when someone accuses me of posting something mean or insensitive. Those are the only times that I feel the urge to leave and not come back. I keep coming here because I enjoy posting here and I don't want to give anybody the satisfaction.

That's the right thing to do - you are a valuable member of WP. I've never seen an insensitive post off you - your posts always seem kind and supportive.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 11:52 am

I stay because it's just what I've got used to. I don't want to join any other Autism site now, even if it might be better for whatever reason.

It's a bit like the Sims, I've been playing the Sims 2 since I was 16, and then I brought the Sims 3 which is more updated and has more stuff to do on it like creating more of a specific personality for the Sims and more custom choice of clothes and hairstyles, ect, but I went back to using the Sims 2 because it's just what I'm used to and I can't always be bothered to get used to something new.

So that's one of the main reasons why I stay on WP. It's OK anyway, except for some threads that get annoying (like ''is being a human an Aspie thing?''), but you get that everywhere so I try not to let it bother me too much now.

elsing
Raven
Raven

26 May 2013, 11:55 am

After a lifetime of feeling like the odd one out only to find there are others and there are reasons this has been a compelling site for me.

I don't think there is anything more I can learn about ASD that could change my perceptions of ASD as a whole and I view this forum less frequently now I have an understanding of myself and of some people close to me. It was a remark by my mother that has seen me interacting more this week.

I haven't visited as frequently because I have a job now and it relates to a special interest taking up my time.

I guess I do feel awkward about posting the positives here thought to be fair.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 12:28 pm

I post less when I have other interests an things going on in my life.

Dedication
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2013, 9:01 pm

I post here every so often. The main reason I don't post more is because this is such a huge community. It makes my laptop fan going to the max sometimes from the overload of posters. I never feel like I'm part of a group. I prefer one-on-one chats with a limited number of people. That's just the way I am.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 May 2013, 9:52 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
Hope you are going some where nice, and not, say, prison?
Thanks so much. Oh no I'm not going to prison. I'm moving, these last two years I have been helping my parents out and now I'm just done.

RenegadeRaven
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2013, 10:52 pm

There is a lot of negativity and bickering in some sections on the forums that turn away many members. I withdraw from reading the forums when I get sick of the negativity.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 2:01 am

whirlingmind wrote:
Mods often don't pick up where members have been out of order.

Not to derail things, but if you see something that you think is out of line, you really do need to pm a mod about it if you want them to take any action; there are like 4 active mods and tens of thousands of posts.

- Rick Sanchez

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 2:16 am

As a parent of an ASD child this site gives me a lot of interesting perspectives that I wouldn't gain from the real world where people tend to be more private or mind their own business when it comes to Autism/Aspergers.

The negativity is a reflection of underlying real world problems hat many here have the opportunity to address or help (but very few do).

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 10:19 am

whirlingmind wrote:
Your questions aren't extensive enough (I had to pick the closest option as there wasn't one for mine), but I understand that the list is already long and there had to be a limit.

I'll happily take recommendations for a future poll. I'm always on the lookout for more effective ways to gather information.

I happily accept PMs if you'd prefer.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 10:52 am

i am here because it is part of my routine. i always post after i become too stupid to play my video games properly (due to tiredness)
i spend the last few volts in my battery here every night, and i do not really care whether anyone likes me.
i just post stuff unaffectedly as i slip into a torpor as i am currently doing, and because my batteries (nuclear (hey))
are dead then i have no further interest in the day or the people contained within it.
but tomorrow i will be back.

"goodnight" is not forever.
but goodnight.