Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2012, 10:16 pm

Trying to load: http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum3.html

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 2621440) (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in /chroot/home/planet/wrongplanet.net/html/includes/functions.php on line 458

This ad seems to fail to load at all as well, but I dault it has any relevance: http://www.wrongplanet.net/ads/dfp160.php

Maybe some functionality should be rewritten to use less memory? and possible use some kind of queue or batch technique such that task that use memory won't add up?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:20 am

*pretends not to notice highly technical questions, backs slowly out of thread, leaves it for the experts*

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:31 am

hyperlexian wrote:
*pretends not to notice highly technical questions, backs slowly out of thread, leaves it for the experts*

Moar evidence of the admin conspiracy!!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:33 am

haha... haha...

what are you talking about? *cough*

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Feb 2012, 9:02 am

Meh. Firefox plus AdblockPlus and NoScript. No ads, broken or otherwise.
If I actually want to be distracted while browsing I'll arrange it for myself, thanks.

It's really a bit much when an ad service misbehaves or is greedy enough to cause problems like this - never mind the sudden appearance of ads containing audio.
I wonder how much control a site administrator would have over the advertising content pushed into it?

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2012, 12:49 pm

I think this is the main problem: "Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 2621440) (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in /chroot/home/planet/wrongplanet.net/html/includes/functions.php on line 458"
Not any ad(s). Never seen any on WP either.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 3:01 pm

I got a similar error (maybe even the same one, but I didn't really pay much attention to it). It disappeared on the next page load. PHP error display was obviously turned on at least temporarily. Sometimes developers need to do that when they're working on live sites. I'm sure if they see this thread, they'll shut it off if they don't need it on.

Most of those PHP errors actually happen all the time but users just never see them because the error display is normally turned off on live pages. They're hardly ever errors that affect normal site functioning.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 6:01 pm

Temporary hiccup on the servers side. I'm only just saying and I only drop in now and then.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 6:52 pm

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Feb 2012, 6:58 pm

nat4200 wrote:
Adsense certainly allows you to choose what types of ads get displayed.
To the extent that you could specify things like "No bigger than xxx bytes", "No Adobe Flash", "No animations" etc. etc., or just a general guidance as to acceptable advertising material? (ie. no ads related to meat on a vegetarian site, for example)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

nat4200 wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Most of those PHP errors actually happen all the time but users just never see them because the error display is normally turned off on live pages. They're hardly ever errors that affect normal site functioning.

If I understand correctly, the error was "fatal" in that it stopped the OP's page from being generated, it did affect site function for the OP even if he was able to remedy such by hitting "refresh". If it were my site, I'd appreciate users being errors such as this to my attention, even if I might discover them anyway some time later browsing logs...

Not necessarily. I've seen fatal errors quite often with the page loading anyway. The error I got was fatal, but the page loaded anyway. The OP did not specify whether the page loaded or not. Most of these PHP errors are very common, and do not affect functioning. If they do vanish on a refresh alone, that's a good sign that it's not a serious issue.

Some do. The only ones that really need to be addressed are those the severely affect functioning either consistently or repeatedly. Once, then not seeing it again, isn't worth chasing after to solve. They have been working on the site in recent weeks, and they do check these threads for posts like this.

If it's a serious enough problem, it will be taken care of.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...