Ran up huge fine at my school's library

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

TheMatador
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2010, 11:27 pm

Tonight I found out I ran up a $1000+ fine at my university's library, which was due to the fact I failed to renew all of my books on time and accordingly. However, I managed to return half of them immediately, and I'm planning on returning the last of them this weekend. Which I hope will get rid of much of the fine since the bulk of it came from books presumed lost, but again I just failed to return them since I was working on a project and I needed them.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 5:48 am

I'd talk to someone in charge.

$1,000 in fines is unsubstantiated. A fine should never exceed the cost of replacing the book(s).

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:40 pm

zer0netgain wrote:

$1,000 in fines is unsubstantiated. A fine should never exceed the cost of replacing the book(s).

Agreed. Fines are just to make sure you do not take the book or to at least not return it too late.

If the library insists on fining you even over $200 dollars (the maximum that most textbooks cost), then you should take them to court or sign a hardship waiver.

In fact, I think I will return my book back right now...Thanks for reminding me...

TheMatador
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2010, 12:08 am

techn0teen wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Agreed. Fines are just to make sure you do not take the book or to at least not return it too late.

If the library insists on fining you even over $200 dollars (the maximum that most textbooks cost), then you should take them to court or sign a hardship waiver.

In fact, I think I will return my book back right now...Thanks for reminding me...

I returned everything and it is now down to a hundred and fifty, still very high ,but payable.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 6:27 am

Sounds like they used the fine to get you to take action. Pretty common.

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2010, 9:57 am

Talk to the library manager and tell him you're on the spectrum and get support from your school's disability office to cancel all your fines.