Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NullCoding
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2012, 3:30 pm

What are Aspies' opinions on Greek Life? That is, fraternities, sororities, and anything to do with them.

I imagine that most college / uni students are completely disengaged from the Greek system. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Speaking personally, I am a brother of the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity and have been for just over a full year. My brothers are great people to be around. They don't care how different from them I am because we are united in the bond of brotherhood.

To those with pre-conceived ideas of how "bad" Greek Life can be: I am at a small liberal-arts college (Dickinson) where Greek Life is a very small presence and nothing at all like it is on big university campii or in the movies. ;)

http://nullcoding.deviantart.com - Art
http://ncprime.blogspot.com - Programming

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:55 pm

Sounds weird and culty. I'll pass.

rachel_519
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2012, 6:20 pm

I am in college and have never been interested in Greek life since I don't like parties or social events much, but I know some girls who are in sororities and they are pretty nice. I used to assume bad things about Greek groups but these girls have changed my opinion. I am glad to hear that you have found a group you fit well with.

Brooke23
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2012, 7:32 pm

I gave it a try my freshmen year. My sister's clearly noticed that something was "off" about me and I had difficulties rushing. Once I was in I found it mentally draining to deal with the drama involved and disliked being forced to fake a smile at parties. I transferred away and transferred back for my junior year. My now former sisters don't even acknowledge my existence and I can focus on classes instead of trying to fit in. Glad it worked out for someone though!

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 7:34 pm

Are they really friends if I have to pay for them?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 8:04 pm

I will never join any club that would have me as a member. :lol: --Except WP. :lol: I am a hermit. Why would I want to join a social club? :lol:

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 7:08 pm

I've been interested in the greek system. It certainly opens doors that would otherwise be shut, especially for an outcast, and allow more practice with socializing. However hazing still a big problem and the greek system attracts the wrong sort; bullies looking for a good party. I'm still unsure if it's a path I want to follow.