Does anyone else have terrible reading comprehension?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Numbuh4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2014, 1:55 am

I'm currently a sophomore in high school. I can read the words just fine, but I can't seem to understand them. My class has been reading Dante's Inferno (we're almost done with it, actually) and I have no idea what it's about even though I do the reading. It's really disheartening to listen to everyone else talk about stuff that's happened in the book that I didn't even know happened. Does anyone have any tips?
(My parents don't think I'm trying hard enough and won't get me any help with it even though it's been a problem my whole life so they won't help anything)

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 12:06 am

I wish I had an answer other then I have the issue too and to do what you have to keep a clear head. Any way to have it read to you, perhaps an audio book?

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 10:05 pm

Numbuh4 wrote:
I'm currently a sophomore in high school. I can read the words just fine, but I can't seem to understand them. My class has been reading Dante's Inferno (we're almost done with it, actually) and I have no idea what it's about even though I do the reading. It's really disheartening to listen to everyone else talk about stuff that's happened in the book that I didn't even know happened. Does anyone have any tips?
(My parents don't think I'm trying hard enough and won't get me any help with it even though it's been a problem my whole life so they won't help anything)

Is it easier if someone else reads to you? You could get an audiobook and listen to that at home so you'll be prepared for class.
And Dante's Divine Comedy is a great poem. Dante's Inferno is only part 1. And as a poem, it sounds great when read aloud.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x