what happens if you don't pay your tuition?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2010, 3:59 pm

i think i might have failed all of my courses this term again. last year i failed 7 out of 8, and i barely made the 1 course out. this was my first term in this school and i was just planning to have a semester here. so what happens if i don't pay it? would it go on my record? the reason why i didn't pay until now is because i registered late by appealing. my grandparents did everything possible for me as they always do like making lunch every single day and giving rides for 45 minutes and another 45 for their return trip. it takes me 2 hours one way to go to another campus and i go back and forth once (one campus to another to the original one). transportation costs a lot because they give me rides through a new bridge. i also have penalty fees for late payment, which i haven't payed yet because of this, and there's also the penalty for withdrawing late from a class. im not being so desperate because i don't think there's interest on anything as i've checked my account summary regularly. i can't pay for four and my only (all) courses. i was only planning to take these courses and get out of here in the first place, and i wasn't planning to fail them. it's just that it was procrastination.

i think i might be incapable of doing college work.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 4:10 pm

Non payment of your tuition goes on your record...and you will be prevented from registering for any future courses in the next semester, next year, etc. It is similiar to any other kind of default... when you do not pay back student loans or payments owed on your credit card. It may seem trivial to you now but such delinquencies can truly hurt you in the future...and makes you look like a "dead beat."

Since you are incapable of doing college work, then GET A JOB and pay that tuition bill off as soon as possible.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 5:05 pm

Quote:
... this was my first term in this school and i was just planning to have a semester here. so what happens if i don't pay it? would it go on my record?

Yes.

Au, what do you think will happen if you don't pay your tuition bill?! Do you seriously think the college will just forget about it and brush it under the rug?

The college can sue you for non-payment of this year's bills. As Zsazsa said, it will also go on your credit record.
Quote:
the reason why i didn't pay until now is because i registered late by appealing.

why did you not pay after you registered? What was the appeal?

Quote:
i also have penalty fees for late payment, which i haven't payed yet because of this, and there's also the penalty for withdrawing late from a class. im not being so desperate because i don't think there's interest on anything as i've checked my account summary regularly. i can't pay for four and my only (all) courses. i was only planning to take these courses and get out of here in the first place, and i wasn't planning to fail them. it's just that it was procrastination.

It sucks if the late fees aren't your fault because you had to appeal (though that depends on the appeal), but you will probably have to pay them.

That fact that you only intended to sit one semester is too bad. You signed up for the whole year with the college and are expected to honour your contract. Most colleges will not let you sit your final exams or graduate without payment of fees (so the subject you did pass will be invalid)
Quote:

Again, I agree with Zsasa; get a job then. Maybe in future you can go back to education. You're not closing any doors by postponing your degree, but you will if you give yourself a bad name for not paying fees.

I know you will probably get the usual responses here saying "you should appeal" etc etc, or use your aspergers to get you out. I really doubt that's going to work in this situation. It's pretty black and white; whatever your status, you need to pay the college. You can't have your money back just because you didn't pass.

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2010, 6:07 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
Non payment of your tuition goes on your record...and you will be prevented from registering for any future courses in the next semester, next year, etc. It is similiar to any other kind of default... when you do not pay back student loans or payments owed on your credit card. It may seem trivial to you now but such delinquencies can truly hurt you in the future...and makes you look like a "dead beat."

Since you are incapable of doing college work, then GET A JOB and pay that tuition bill off as soon as possible.

I WAS PLANNING TO GO TO A DIFFERENT INSTITUTION IN THE FIRST PLACE. ONE SEMESTER WAS MY SHOT.

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2010, 6:08 pm

Lene wrote:
Quote:
... this was my first term in this school and i was just planning to have a semester here. so what happens if i don't pay it? would it go on my record?

Yes.

Au, what do you think will happen if you don't pay your tuition bill?! Do you seriously think the college will just forget about it and brush it under the rug?

The college can sue you for non-payment of this year's bills. As Zsazsa said, it will also go on your credit record.
Quote:
the reason why i didn't pay until now is because i registered late by appealing.

why did you not pay after you registered? What was the appeal?

Quote:
i also have penalty fees for late payment, which i haven't payed yet because of this, and there's also the penalty for withdrawing late from a class. im not being so desperate because i don't think there's interest on anything as i've checked my account summary regularly. i can't pay for four and my only (all) courses. i was only planning to take these courses and get out of here in the first place, and i wasn't planning to fail them. it's just that it was procrastination.

It sucks if the late fees aren't your fault because you had to appeal (though that depends on the appeal), but you will probably have to pay them.

That fact that you only intended to sit one semester is too bad. You signed up for the whole year with the college and are expected to honour your contract. Most colleges will not let you sit your final exams or graduate without payment of fees (so the subject you did pass will be invalid)
Quote:

Again, I agree with Zsasa; get a job then. Maybe in future you can go back to education. You're not closing any doors by postponing your degree, but you will if you give yourself a bad name for not paying fees.

I know you will probably get the usual responses here saying "you should appeal" etc etc, or use your aspergers to get you out. I really doubt that's going to work in this situation. It's pretty black and white; whatever your status, you need to pay the college. You can't have your money back just because you didn't pass.

I WAS PLANNING TO GO TO A DIFFERENT INSTITUTION IN THE FIRST PLACE. ONE SEMESTER WAS MY SHOT.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 6:11 pm

au wrote:

So what?

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2010, 6:16 pm

i've been losing so much meaningless money on tuition fees. what happens if you can't pay it back? i mean i don't have much money. can i pay by long term? seems like i have to pay almost 3 grand for all courses that i've all taken and failed.

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2010, 6:17 pm

Lene wrote:
au wrote:

So what?

you said i won't be able to take future courses, but it'll be with a different school.

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2010, 6:18 pm

do aspies ususally get low gpa?

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 6:25 pm

Any future school will know about your failure to pay as soon as you apply. I've always maintained a very high GPA and did well in college and am currently doing very well with it. It comes down to self-discipline and doing the work.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 7:26 pm

au wrote:
Lene wrote:
au wrote:

So what?

you said i won't be able to take future courses, but it'll be with a different school.

It doesn't matter if you try to apply to a different school afterwards; you will still be blacklisted for not paying for your tuition at this school. Your college will make sure of that.

If you can't afford to pay your tuition, I think you need to make an urgent meeting with the treasurer or admissions officer at your ex-college. They may have some system that will allow you to pay things off in installments. Otherwise you may have to consider taking out a loan from a bank to pay, or borrow off relatives and pay them back.

I don't want to frighten you, but I think you may get in serious trouble if you don't take action soon. I don't know exactly what happens, but I think they may seize some of your possession to help pay off debt, or you may even face some jail time. You are no longer a minor.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 7:29 pm

au wrote:
do aspies ususally get low gpa?

Depends, I had a low GPA at first but now I have a rather high one. I think that having a low GPA when starting out is normal since it takes a well to adjust to college life.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 8:28 pm

At my uni, if you have to pay up-front and you don't, you're out.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I