Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 1:04 pm

As a disclaimer, I'm not going to any sort of graduate school anytime soon. I am a rising senior in college, and plan to work for two or three years. That being said, I am considering what profession I want to become afterwards. I am not sure I'd like being a lawyer, but I'd love a legal education. In fact, about a third of law school graduates don't practice law. It's a degree, and a career, that I can take anywhere.

Nevertheless, I am still debating if I want to invest the time, money, and thought into even getting into law school. Once I make that decision, it's very difficult going back. So I am asking if anyone can help me. Do we have any lawyers/law school grads on this forum? Why did you go? Do you enjoy what you are doing with it?

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 2:23 pm

I had a teacher tell me all about law school last week (I think at least the grad school portion of it). God help you if you're ever late for class or don't know all the answers or don't talk much in class. They really call you out and throw things at you at every turn. You gotta really be on your feet. You gotta really know your stuff.

That was the basics of what she shared with the class about her law school experience. That sounds like suicide to me. :P

poppyx
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2010, 2:47 pm

You might be able to survive law school just fine. The logical aspect would really be enjoyable for a lot of AS folk, I think.

However, when you actually are a lawyer, you have to deal with high volume really annoying people unless you have an engineering degree and you can do something like patent law.

I'm an NT and the only reason I value my job is that I get to represent children some of the time, and I like arguing.

My clients, though, you could drop out a twenty story window by the handful, and I would only miss the money.

Also, the tuition is the equivalent of buying a new Jaguar and driving it off a cliff.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 7:09 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
. . . but I'd love a legal education. . .

That's the kind of energy you want to be open to rolling with! to savor, to explore, to make a free choice which way you want to go

And instead of one or two big clunk steps, you think there might be a way you can look at it as five or six nimble steps?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 12:02 am

I only like legal theory. I suppose if I got into one of the better legal schools, it might not be so bad for that reason.

I hear that the other students in law school tend to be jerks in many cases.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 6:12 am

Graduated law school,but realized I hated the practice of law in the last semester.

Before committing, see about working in a law office for a few months to see what the job is really like and decide if you really want to live that kind of life.

Burnout rate for the profession is fairly high, and that J.D. degree generally works against you when you try to get a job outside of the legal field.

I generally discourage people from this path unless they are certain they know what they are getting into and know it is what they want to do with their lives.