Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 7:25 am

Anyone lived in the dorms during college? How did you dealt with it? I never lived in the dorms, but in a way I wish I had to know more people. But what if your roommate isn't the type of person you really like? For example, what if your roommate brought his or her girlfriend or boyfriend and they spent the night? Or what if your roommate has bad habits that you don't like at all? I only applied to 2 colleges when I was a senior in high school and got accepted to both. One was a community college and the other a 4 year college near where I lived. I thought that I wasn't quite ready for a 4 year, so I started at a 2 year and got a degree from there. I then transferred to the 4 year college and just commuted from home. I majored in music. I played piano since age 6. I did apply at the 4 year college while I was a sophomore in college at the 2 year college. I got accepted in the 4 year college's music program as a performance. Well I looked at the classes I would have to take, and thought no way I can't handle it. So I switched it to general music degree which required less music classes. I didn't have to take conducting classes nor do a junior or senior recital where it's just me playing piano in front of so many people. I guess I didn't have a great passion in music compared to other students. Most of the music students at the 4 year college went on to get masters or PHD in music education or performance. So they are probably performing at Kennedy Center or other venues. Some are teaching too. But not me. I guess in a way I should have applied to more schools while I was a senior in high school or a sophomore at the 2 year college. I thought about Julliard, or Shenandoah. But I don't know. I just feel so guilty that I didn't apply to many colleges except just the 2. Did anyone apply to more than 2 schools while you were in high school? Do you commute from home? Live in the dorms? Live with friends at a apartment near or on campus? A good thing about commuting is that you get your own bed!

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 5:14 pm

I'm from Australia so living at College isn't the norm.

I strongly suggest however that if you're going to live at College, that you put preference for a Single Room. That way, you'll be less stimulated by a roommate, and you'll be more able to study and do what you want to do.

Suiseiten
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2010, 12:59 am

I am presently living in the dorms. I would recommend it as long as it's a single dorm. I had this roommate my first year at UW that was alright at first, but then her nature showed herself to be selfish and her friends to be inconsiderate of my space. My sister got me this sanddollar with my name painted on it as a graduation gift from the community college I attended and between that breaking on the edge, seeing my coins moved on my desk into different shapes, her allowing a guy to talk in the room and sit on my bed until 2 am, her friends taking up both sides of the white board that I bought for both of us (since princess yappy couldn't get a job to get her own), and her friends frequently mocking me over my anime and manga likes (one went so far as to keep mocking Kamui's name because of a wallscroll I own and ask for a good book from my collection [I should have brought Skyscrapers of Oz and gave it to him instead of going to the study room and handing them a bible before rushing out of the room]). I had been lucky to get a single dorm, even if it is more expensive!

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 1:51 am

I applied to...maybe 4 schools? I'm not sure. I went and toured/looked at 10 at least (I had a hard time making a decision), so that kept me from applying to so many. I got accepted to all but the honors college of one. I just finished a year at junior college (I had to stay home for a year for medical reasons), and I'll go to a 4 year this fall (but still qualify as a freshman). I'll live in the dorms...with a roommate. I'm looking forward to it. Originally I requested to have a single room in one of the nicer halls, but I changed my mind and didn't make it in anyway. The only thing I'm worried about it that I won't get to bring my ferret to school with me, at least not at the beginning. I'll also be 7 hours away from home 8O I figure I can just go and if I don't like it, I can always come back when the semester is over.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 9:57 am

Suiseiten wrote:
I am presently living in the dorms. I would recommend it as long as it's a single dorm. I had this roommate my first year at UW that was alright at first, but then her nature showed herself to be selfish and her friends to be inconsiderate of my space. My sister got me this sanddollar with my name painted on it as a graduation gift from the community college I attended and between that breaking on the edge, seeing my coins moved on my desk into different shapes, her allowing a guy to talk in the room and sit on my bed until 2 am, her friends taking up both sides of the white board that I bought for both of us (since princess yappy couldn't get a job to get her own), and her friends frequently mocking me over my anime and manga likes (one went so far as to keep mocking Kamui's name because of a wallscroll I own and ask for a good book from my collection [I should have brought Skyscrapers of Oz and gave it to him instead of going to the study room and handing them a bible before rushing out of the room]). I had been lucky to get a single dorm, even if it is more expensive!

UW?
University of Wisconsin?
University of Washington? (If it's Washington, which campus?) I have a cousin that is at the Seattle campus.
Yea if I did lived on campus I would have asked for a single room with a bathroom to myself. But I don't think they have single rooms with a bathroom. I did spend this one night in the dorms and when I went to use the womens bathroom, there was a guy in there puking! 8O When I went home I was so glad to get my own bed and bathroom. My college was about 15 min from the house. I could have applied to schools in Central NJ. I thought about Rutgers University in New Brunswick.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Suiseiten
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2010, 1:58 pm

UW= University of Wyoming. I've been here for three years because my first advisor neglected to tell me the importance of junior level classes sooner and now, I've switched from a French major to an International Studies major with a French minor.

The drive to the community college is a lot of the reason that it wound up as my first choice. That, and it gave me an Associates. It may not be as prestigeous as a bachelor's, but I feel that it is still a viable degree.

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2010, 10:35 pm

College is hard. Depending on the situation, your advisor can't be expected to know everything and be able to provide everything for you. But you usually can tell if they can be trying more or not depending on the situations and such. They tend to be overloaded with too many students, so keep that in mind. I still wish I could have a job advising myself, I think I'd do well in it and enjoy it more than teaching extremely unmotivated students and some unsupportive parents, lol.

Just about every situation needs more independent decision making. if you have an opportunity to live more independently in the dorms, I say try it out. Definitely try to get a room on your own, but try to put yourself out there in subtle ways. If you have to live with someone else, try your best to find someone with similar nuances to you, which is over the top difficult. even if your experience is bad, just remember that you gave it a try and didn't lose that much in the process. In fact, you may've only gained by putting yourself out there more, as hard as it is.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2010, 1:12 am

Its a random bag. You may love it, you may hate it.